Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Foreign Exchange Rates in San Francisco Bay Area?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2006, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat

I'm back in the Bay Area after a couple of recent trips, with some foreign currencies I didn't get the chance to exchange overseas. The currencies are HK and Australian dollars, Malaysian ringgit, and Thai baht. Any suggestions on where to get the best exchange rates locally? As a Youth Hostels member I can exchange commission-free at Travelex (multiple locations at SFO), but still wonder whether their rates are competitive.

Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2006, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Their rates are going to suck.

Your best best will be to give craigslist or the hostels a shot. Just advertise that you'll sell at market rate so they can have some landing cash.

Some of the currencies you have can't be bought or sold overseas, namely the Ringgit or the Baht at last check (I def. know the MYR can't be traded, their finance minsitry is still bitter over the pounding it took in 1998 during the financial crisis). I was at Thomas Cooke in Corte Madera (I'm a Marin native ) and saw a dude with a fistful of Baht get turned away based on exchange laws.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.