Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap flights from London to Paris

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2005, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Cheap flights from London to Paris

I am taking a trip to London in March and would like to take an over night trip to Paris. Any suggestions on where to get the cheapest flight? Thanks.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 9:59 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Hi skh1 and a warm welcome to Flyertalk.

Eurostar (www.eurostar.com) is pretty convenient if you're staying in the centre of London. They have up to 18 daily departures each way, city centre to city centre. Trains leave from London Waterloo Int'l and arrive in Paris Gare du Nord, with excellent access to the city. Eurostar, for me, is the most stress-free way to travel between these capital cities. Book now for the best fares. If you can travel at certain times of the day on certain days of the week then you can take advantage of the cheapest fare at EUR35.00 one-way. Or GBP59 return.

bmi british midland usually has the cheap flights on www.flybmi.com. They fly from London Heathrow to Paris CDG, with up to 5 daily departures each way. I don't recommend bmi any more simply because they have trimmed all the frills and have turned into a lo-cost modular service. You no longer get free refreshments or miles on the lowest fares and from next year they're banning us Silver members from their business lounges if we want to travel on such cheap tickets. Not recommended.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 2:39 am

I had a very positive experience on BMI. We volunteered to be bumped to a slightly later flight, in exchange for 50-pound compensation each (more than we had paid for the tickets). As it turns out, we weren't bumped, but ended up in business class. But even if traveling without any food or drinks on BMI, I'm sure it would be fine if you bring along a small stash to endure the rigors of the 1-hour flight. Once at CDG, we waited for our luggage (that was a drawback, but apparently BMI has expanded their carry-on allowance a bit since then), and then took the Air France bus to Gare Montparnasse, which was exactly where we needed to be.

In my case it was very convenient to leave from Heathrow, and cheaper by far than what I could get from Eurostar for my weekend departure, even using the roundtrip trick.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
the check and baggage collection takes 3 -4 times longer than the flight, its way beter to travel in great comfort with superb service on eurostar and usually way cheaper for travel in first than a cheap air ticket with the added benefit of not having to use any of Londons awful airports
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA/Plat, AS MPV
opodo.co.uk is a great place to check for cheap flights - I got a AF flight that was 10 pounds cheaper than Eurostar... BUT, given the delay, getting to/from LHR/CDG, I would take the train next time. OTOH - 1000 miles.

Pro's and con's!

Oh, AF still served snacks/drinks - that was July/Aug 05 - may have changed by now.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:06 pm

Also try easyjet. www.easyjet.co.uk. They're a LCC and fly from London Luton.
If you go to www.traveljungle.co.uk, you'll get a list of all the cheapest flights for your day of travel. This includes the LCCs/
Old Jan 1, 2006, 5:49 am

If your starting point is Central London, and you are trying to get to Central Paris, then it's a complete no-brainer - TAKE THE TRAIN!

Journey time on Eurostar is 2 hours 42 minutes. If you fly from a remote airport like Luton you will probably not even be airborne 2 hours 42 minutes after leaving central London.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 9:56 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
I've done LONDON/PARIS loads of times -

Eurostar (1st/standard)
AF (business/first, LHR/LCY)
BA (LHR/LGW)
EasyJet (Luton ?)

I've just booked a flight with BMI for the first time. I used to use Eurostar all the time, now I fly more.

Flights over Eurostar:

1) Eurostar often seems to be the most expensive especially booked at short notice or if you are not "away" long enough to qualify for a leisure fare.

2) If travelling standard, you could end up facing backwards being surrounded by hoards of kids for 3 hours. At least with the flight, the "time in the seat" part is limited - other time is spent in cafes/lounges etc.

3) When things go wrong with Eurostar, they can seriously go wrong without backup. The worst case was a 7 hour journey back from Paris (4 hrs late). Fire in Brixton signal box. Arrived Kensington Olympia (used by Eurostar when Waterloo cannot be reached) 3am. All the lights were out and the station locked. Entire 18 carriage train disembarked through one door with a torch. Police called to break down the exit door from the platform onto the street. Onward transportation not easy! Eurostar disappeared into the shadows.

4) Better facilities at airports. If turning up for the first train out of waterloo it can be difficult getting anything much more than a coffee.

5) Maybe works better for you in terms of airmile reward/lounge access. I couldn't get on with Eurostar's programme.

6) No proper e-ticket - maybe have to allow extra time to queue for ticket collection before checking in. I suppose it doubles as a boarding card so isn't much worse than collecting a boarding pass with an airline. But I did have to queue 30 mins to get mine once - and was sweating about making the flight.

7) Especially expensive if you want to make single journeys. (Booking a return and throwing the second portion away is often cheaper.)

Eurostar over flights:

1) Stay in touch (and annoy your neighbours) by mobile except for the 20 mins or so in the tunnel.

2) Laptop power in "first" class (but didn't work for me and staff couldn't give a toss).

3) Nicer view and quieter. More relaxing.

4) Time to enjoy meal (whether paid-for free in first). Maybe get some work done. First is rarely full and by moving around you can get quite a nice table to yourself. There are also a few tables in standard with seats facing each other. (Most are fold-downs in what they call "airline style" !)

5) Unlimited luggage allowance (within reason). Also no need to worry about separating out valuables into hand luggage as you keep everything with you. (Though in standard class you have to fight for space on the racks at the end of the carriage.)

6) Often good "combination" deals. Whether or not the trip is for business, it can be worth looking for a eurostar "holiday" deal which includes a hotel.

7) City-centre to City-centre makes for less hassle-some links. But the extra time (around 90mins) that the train takes reduces the time saving.

All-in-all the alleged time saving just depends on where you need to be and when and whether there are flights to match. If you are in Paddington and take the expensive Heathrow Express, the journey is 15mins - not much different from the journey time on the Bakerloo line to Waterloo. If you're in Croydon (!), you can get to Gatwick as fast as you can get to Waterloo - and not have to fight with commuters or mess around at Clapham Junction. The DLR now runs to London City airport. Never departed from there, but arrived having taken an AF flight from CDG. I actually started the journey at Gare du Nord, but arrived central London long before the next Eurostar would have done. Arrivals are very efficient there. Remember that Eurostar is not like a normal train - you are supposed to turn up at least 30 mins in advance (less for first). Having said that I was using Waterloo almost daily for a while recently and observed people turning up 5 mins before and making it. (Ignore the "gate closed" indication!)

The RER from CDG goes through Gare du Nord anyway - so if you're somewhere in between there isn't much difference.

Frankly I think other things being equal, Eurostar probably is a little quicker but this is often exaggerated.

AMEX platinum cardholders can use the lounge at Waterloo. Nice croissants and stuff. A "First" ticket DOESN'T automatically get you lounge access - unless its one of the more expensive fares. Not sure if anything else gets you in - "priority pass" doesn't.

In conclusion - I can't really stand being stuck on Eurostar standard class for 3 hours if it turns out to be packed with unrestrained kids - just not a nice way to go. I can stand it on a plane for 1 hour.

So my policy is to compare Eurostar First with what I can get for an economy flight. The "couped up in a small seat" time for a flight is only about an hour. If Eurostar isn't a lot more, I'll pay the extra for it - especially since I'll be getting a meal and can use AMEX PLAT to get some breakfast in at Waterloo. Since Eurostar First is usually so much more expensive, I generally fly and if you're looking for something "cheap" maybe you'll end up doing the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.