Wiki Posts
Search

Intra-Thailand Airfares

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2005, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Thai is not that expensive if you price it up, and you benefit from the lounges if you have Star Alliance Gold status. And a decent slug of miles.

If you want a splurge, it may even be worth paying for business class although I accept this is the budget travel board! However, at just GBP 50 each for Bangkok to Chiang Mai and Phuket to Bangkok (GBP 80 for Chiang Mai to Phuket), it was a good deal when we did it last month - especially as the route was flown on an A300 with the kind of business class seating you find on intercontinental routes! Business Class was only about a third full on our three internal flights, with 80% of pax being farang.

Even in Economy on Thai, it may be worth it because of the better intercontinental-style seating and - arguably - the higher safety standards.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I would awoid Thai Orient. Their reputation is very bad. I have seen their 747 at BKK grounded with the engines removed.

I'm not familiar with air fares to Samui, but fares to HKT are in general very cheap. Try airasia or Nok air. The fares that you refer to are much more expensive than the fares you can buy in Thailand. There are plenty of flights to HKT, so I would not hesitate to take the chance and buy the ticket upon arrival at BKK. Then you should be able to take advantage of the local promotions. Admittedly, promotions may be limited at the moment as DEC-FEB is the peak tourist season. In April and Sept this year BKK-HKT o/w was around THB 2000 on Thai Airways in V class. That was a nice deal, but if you do not mind flying a LLC you should be able to find cheaper fares at airasia and nok air.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
sorry, double post

Last edited by SK AAR; Dec 22, 2005 at 2:20 pm
Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:25 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
After 2 out 3 AirAisa flights being canceled and/or delayed by as much as 7 hours I will never fly them again. The boarding process is a stampede with people pushing and shoving. On one flight I was #5 in line, #22 on the bus but #51 entering the plane.

You might concider this. Great service and miles.
Star Alliance Thailand Airpass

The Star Alliance Thailand Airpass allows you to get the maximum out of Thailand.
In conjunction with travel to/from or via Thailand from any other part of the world on Star Alliance services.
Passengers can purchase from four to eight coupons for travel within Thailand, paying $199 US for the first four coupons and $45 US for each additional coupon (excluding applicable fees and taxes).

http://www.staralliance.com/star_all..._thailand.html

You’ll find there’s a great deal of flexibility with the Star Alliance Thailand Airpass, however there are a few conditions.

• The Airpass can only be used for travel within Thailand and is only open to non-Thai residents.
• Travel on this Airpass is only available in conjunction with an international return ticket to Thailand on a Star Alliance member airline flight.
• You can only purchase one Airpass per international flight.
• You must confirm your first coupon at the time of purchase. But the other coupons can be booked at any time, subject to availability, and are valid for three months from the departure date of the first flight.
• Ticketing must be completed before you arrive in Thailand.
• There is no minimum stay, although there is a maximum stay of three months.
• Stopovers are permitted, however, rerouting isn’t.
• Apart from the first flight, changes to flights can be made at least three hours to departure without a cancellation fee.
• Discounts apply for children under 11.

Where can I go?

The Star Alliance Thailand Airpass covers 14 destinations across Thailand - giving you plenty of choice when you plan your itinerary. Destinations include:

Bangkok • Chiang Mai • Chiang Rai • Hat Yai • Khon Kaen • Krabi • Mae Hong Son • Nakhon Si Thammarat • Phitsanulok • Phuket • Surat Thani • Trang • Ubon Ratchathani • Udon Thani
The taxes were just a few dollars. There is a US$50 reissue fee to change routing, can only be done before departure to Thailand. Biz upgrades (day of flight only) are about THB1200
Old Dec 22, 2005, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
• Travel on this Airpass is only available in conjunction with an international return ticket to Thailand on a Star Alliance member airline flight.
So, I have to fly into/out of Thailand on a *A flight to purchase this? Sounds like it won't work for me. I'm flying to KIX on UA and flying from KIX to BKK on MH...
Old Dec 22, 2005, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've flown on 8 or so segments with Air Asia and have never had a significant problem. I even flew in with the President of Air Asia coming back from KL. While the boarding can be a bit of a stampede, I've never been on a completely full plane. Usually in the 60-75% range, so there is room to spread out.

I find the service to be much superior to WN or it's ilk. I even won a prize on a flight to Phuket last year. (They asked what type of aircraft it was. Sheeeesh, talk about an easy one for me.)
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:28 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Another one is tiger air

they tend to be *slightly* cheaper than air asia.
www.tigerairlines.com
Old Dec 23, 2005, 5:53 am
In memoriam

You need to watch to baggage weight limit on the LCCs as most have only a 15 or 20KG weight limit which is enforced. The excess baggage fee for an extra 10KG can be as much as the arfare. With Thai Air you get 20KG (in Y) plus another 20 if you are Star Gold. And they don't seem to be so picky about the weight limit.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 6:23 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Originally Posted by party_boy
they tend to be *slightly* cheaper than air asia.
www.tigerairlines.com

Tiger is another decent LCC is Asia, but the OP was asking about travel
within Thailand... to my knowledge, Tiger is based in Singapore
and all flights hub through there. They are certainly a decent
airline (although, as another poster has said, the luggage weight
restriction leads to many, many people paying extra luggage
charges!), and the seat pitch seems to me to be a bit less than
on AirAsia.

I also have flown AirAsia many times and have never experienced a
delay or problem. Note that the Thai "subsidiary" of AirAsia is
actually called "Thai AirAsia" and is responsible for the flights within
the Kingdom.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 6:59 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by gary_nj
... Note that the Thai "subsidiary" of AirAsia is
actually called "Thai AirAsia" and is responsible for the flights within
the Kingdom.
That means if you need to make changes you have to contact AirAsia in Thailand. Each AirAsia is a different company and their reservation systems are not connected.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
I hadn't realized the reservations systems were not integrated...
I had always just bought the ticket on the internet and never
had the reason to change them. (I thought the "Thai AirAsia"
thing was more for political reasons than anything else.)

I do need to confess that I am spending a lot of time in this
thread talking about AirAsia, yet the last time I went BKK-HKT,
I flew on TG. About a month ago, I flew to Chiang Mai and again
flew TG. I am 1K on UA, and so *A Gold, so I fly TG as often
as I can, and if the price is anywhere near that of the LCCs,
I will grab TG in a heartbeat. (For a while, TG was offering a
5% discount for bookings on their internet site for domestic
routes.)

To each his/her own... flying LCCs may require a certain amount
of patience at times... so it is up to the individual if the fare
difference is really worth it or not. In my case, sometimes it
is, sometimes not.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Although I could swear that very recently some LCC routinely had around $30 RT to Phuket for example. Perhaps my imagination? Thanks.
Last time I did BKK-HKT it was Air Asia at $34 RT after the taxes. That was the July before the tsunami (July can be very rainy there). Orient Thai and Nok Air also are possibles; with the LCCs it really pays to book ahead if you're semi-firm about your plans.

I think one reason the fares aren't as good now is that Air Asia has added a ton of hidden surcharges, not only for fuel but also "administration." Surcharges now can easily exceed fares at the lowest level. It's a bit underhanded by U.S. standards, as they'll gleefully advertise the eye-popping fare, but the real total will be quite different. They figure as long as they're still lower than competitors, people will book.

I think Air Asia also flies the KUL-HKT if you had wanted to bypass BKK entirely. Bangkok Airways flies the HKT-USM (useful), and of course the BKK-USM, though as others mentioned, you can fly to Singapore now for less than USM from BKK because of the monopoly situation (even more outrageous is BKK-REP, where they're making a killing and it costs more than BKK-TPE or BKK-MNL would cost!)

Air Asia can be a pain to fly, as check in is chaotic, they have a 15kg bag limit (Out of line with the usual 20 kg and they typically charge $3 per kg over 15), and the line-up and boarding can get uncivilized. I much prefer JetStar Asia (BKK-SIN) if available, as they have 20kg and reserved seats, but Air Asia has the most routes and has to stay in business for there to be competitive pressure.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 1:02 am

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
http://www.attitudetravel.com/lowcostairlines/asia/#map
Old Dec 24, 2005, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by RustyC
I think one reason the fares aren't as good now is that Air Asia has added a ton of hidden surcharges, not only for fuel but also "administration." Surcharges now can easily exceed fares at the lowest level. It's a bit underhanded by U.S. standards, as they'll gleefully advertise the eye-popping fare, but the real total will be quite different. They figure as long as they're still lower than competitors, people will book.
I think total cost is important. However, with Air Asia doing a "2,000,000" free tickets, you can still get a flight for $30 RT which is dirt cheap in my opinion.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:56 am

I took the train, to the bus, to the ferry - to Ko Samui.
It was a fun adventure, but it is a real hassle for minimal savings.
We flew back, which ought to tell you something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.