Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

What meals do you take onboard LCC flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What meals do you take onboard LCC flights?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2005, 8:42 pm

Have only done it once on Southwest. Chocolate does the trick. If I have a choice of a short flight during meal time or not, I avoid the one at meal times. I like my food too much.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 4:17 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Well, considering that most airlines in US now don't serve any food in coach at all (yep, even on 5-6 hour transcons) and at the very best sell some crappy stale sandwiches or salads, I try to eat shortly before the flight. If that doesn't work out, I tend to grab a sandwich or a sub in the airport, to it during the flight. Never actually bother to plan it out however :-)
Old Sep 15, 2005, 5:49 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by party_boy
OR CURRY. J/P. I try to bring a wrap or something non smelly.
I had people asking me for the name of the Burmese restaurant when I took takeout from San Francisco on an OAK-ORD flight. I'm still friends with one of the people I met on the flight!

And at least the fragrance of curry shouldn't give anyone a headache like colognes (or (horrors) nail polish remover...).
Old Sep 15, 2005, 6:18 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
99% of the time other arilines are cheaper than LCCs on the 10 or so routes I frequent. I know because I do check their websites too for comparison - most always to be disapointed. The key is understaning how to get the discounts from the majors...
My key.

Just got back from a DCA-HNL ($344 - $50 coupon!) mileage run on NW where forethought on meals would've been good... But I earned over 30,000 miles for it.

Since NW still sometimes serves meals in F on domestic flights, to spruce it up, I bring a pepper grinder. Sometimes I also bring a chunk of aged gouda.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 9:54 am

lawthomas

I never take food on a plane. If I am on a relatively short flight from EWR around mealtime, I eat in one of the sit-down restaurants in Continental's Terminal C. There is Gallagher's Steak House and a new, good Portugese Restaurant. For breakfast, The Garden State Diner is great. Continental still serves meals or between meal snacks on flights over two hours.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 11:00 am

I almost always use my trips as an excuse to clean out the fridge, especially if I will be gone a few days. Anything like fresh fruit or veggies that will spoil before I get home goes in my travel bag. I'll also bring some cheese or yogurt. Always bring water. And I'll occasionally buy chocolate at the airport, especially if it's right in front of my nose while I'm paying the cashier for my newspaper.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 7:53 pm

I bring several of the little mini bottle of rum, the ones with 2 shots worth in them. Then I buy a coke. And eat a candy bar.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 12:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH Gold, UA silver, Hertz PC
Airplane food Ribs

Oh, I am bad, if it is an afternoon flight or evening flight, I bring babyback ribs and cornbread. The smell just drives people crazy.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:44 pm

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
A few years ago, on a SAN-OAK on WN, three of us stopped at Porkyland and picked up a family pack: a kilo of carnitas, tortillas, salsa, beans, cilantro and onions, all wrapped up in foil.

When we broke it out, you could see heads turning and noses uplifted, sniffing the aroma, all over the aircraft.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 7:17 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club/TG*Sliver
My experience is not on LCC, but on a normal airline. With ASIANA I've done AKL-ICN. The food was quite nice, but just not more enough to feed a 22 years old young man, so on the way back, I bought some 2 minutes noodle.....yum... and ate them on the way back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.