Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Budget Travelers w/status

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2005, 7:41 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by civicmon
I don't think status is a bad thing to have even if you're a budget traveller.. the perks and bene's outweight the futility of flying w/o status.
I think it would be difficult to do as much travelling without status. For example, 100% mileage bonus as Gold makes some trips I couldn't justify turn into something reasonable financially.

Also, access to bulkheads and exit rows make dinner trips to SFO much more reasonable than sitting stacked in the regular rows.

Having flown first and coach, I really don't think there is that much of a difference, if you have status. Give me row 5 with a curtain on a DC9 or 319, and I'll bring my own Granola bar. Or even better, row 16 on a 757-200. About 10 feet of leg room.

To me, the status is about the extra miles and access to the coach elite seats. My wife likes to sit up front, but we both agree it wasn't the big deal we both thought it would be.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by Bikeguy
I think it would be difficult to do as much travelling without status. For example, 100% mileage bonus as Gold makes some trips I couldn't justify turn into something reasonable financially.

Also, access to bulkheads and exit rows make dinner trips to SFO much more reasonable than sitting stacked in the regular rows.

Having flown first and coach, I really don't think there is that much of a difference, if you have status. Give me row 5 with a curtain on a DC9 or 319, and I'll bring my own Granola bar. Or even better, row 16 on a 757-200. About 10 feet of leg room.

To me, the status is about the extra miles and access to the coach elite seats. My wife likes to sit up front, but we both agree it wasn't the big deal we both thought it would be.
I like the larger seats but the miles are definately the perk for me. My goal this year was to hit NW gold but this NW 2x EQM promo is only going to put me about 11k from Plat and I already have 2 flights planned before the end of the year...
Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver
I'm HHonors Gold and AA Gold (soon to be Plt) all on leisure/school.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 3:41 pm

Programs: Hotels.com
I made Worldperks Plat

All leisure travel, and I don't fly much domestic, so I don't get many upgrades to FC, but the other perks are still important. Now the question is, will I be able to stay Plat?
Old Nov 25, 2005, 4:29 pm

Programs: Nobody at this point :(
100% of my travel is leisure travel. Made AA Plat last year from 2 cheapo trips to NRT and BKK and a couple of transcons. Didn't have time to fly as much this past year so will drop to Gold next year

Also, it seems like I am slowly migrating to UA because it has better BOS-LAX fare and schedule than AA (at least when I needed to go home this year). Hope I'll be able to get status on UA next year.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 9:20 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by skye1
AA Platinum, all leisure. Within arm's reach of qualifying for EXP for next year.
Correction: So, decided not to stay at arm's reach of EXP for long. Will be EXP on AA in a couple of weeks, after a weekend MR to SNN. All on leisure travel.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA, Aeroplan, Qantas
I had elite on AC for a while from leisure trips and traveling to/from school. One perk was lounge access, and there were definitely some looks of "how did someone under 25 get in here?"

Currently have gold on AA from leisure travel and a challenge, the mileage bonus is nice.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 7:47 pm

Will be Plat tomorrow

Just finishing up a 26,000 mile run for $260 out of pocket. How's that for "budget"?

I'm still a student, too.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 8:18 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Will be Plat tomorrow

Just finishing up a 26,000 mile run for $260 out of pocket. How's that for "budget"?
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Guess Viajero Joven's MR Seminars are paying off

EmailKid
Old Dec 22, 2005, 9:27 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by skye1
Correction: So, decided not to stay at arm's reach of EXP for long. Will be EXP on AA in a couple of weeks, after a weekend MR to SNN. All on leisure travel.
Revision: SNN MR done, changing "will be" to "am" EXP. Posted this past week. Now, to just keep it....
Old Dec 23, 2005, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by emailkid
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Guess Viajero Joven's MR Seminars are paying off

EmailKid
Very much so. I'd highly recommend you all getting your own MR guru, too.

Now the popular aphorism: I made Plat now...will I be able to keep it?
Old Dec 23, 2005, 1:46 pm

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by grbflyer
i should rephrase my question. how many budget travelers have gained status by ONLY flying for leisure, not work related. Just curious.
I travel 100% for leisure and I'm a Northwest Platinum (2005 88k EQM), a Korean Air Morning Clam, an Avis Preferred Select, a lowly Hilton Silver, and a Priority Club Gold.

The hotel status isn't from staying in them, but from other promos/comps. I'm an int'l budget traveller, so I usually stay in the $1/night hotel in Dhaka rather than the Hilton. When I travel, I sleep as cheap as possible, eat like the locals do, and get around likewise. I don't do any "pure" mileage runs since I like to stay and experience a place. Life's too short.

I guess that this past year I've dropped about $6k in airfare, which is a pretty huge part of my budget. But in 2005 I've gotten to travel to Houston about 10 times (fiancee is there), Peru, Korea, Japan, Spain, Hawaii twice, Canada twice, L.A., Maine twice, and a few other shorter trips. And that pales in comparison to last year when I was probably making 20% less. On the other hand, I don't have cable at home and I watch a 15" TV. I like to spend my money entertaining myself in places other than my sofa. Luckily I have an employer that lets me get away with about 2 months paid vacation a year since I can flex a lot of my billable hours, so I'm taking advantage of that while I can to travel like mad.

peace,
~Ben~
Old Dec 31, 2005, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Mrs. MGMSTEVEN and I are both 1K on United. All on our own dime. Usually a trip or two per year to Asia, a trip or two to SA, and a trip or two to Europe. We usually use the miles to upgrade or for award tickets for our children. As *Gold we get free lounge access on international flights. Talk about budget - a nice place to crash for a few hours always with free beverages, snacks, and often with real food and internet access. The lounge access alone is enough incentive to keep flying and buying United.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 11:47 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
I'm a UA 1K on strictly leisure travel, FWIW.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 2:06 am

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
I'm a UA Premier on purely leisure fares - also just started college.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.