Reload this Page >

Budget Travelers w/status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Budget Travelers w/status

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2005, 7:09 pm

The OP on this thread seems to imply that budget travelers are poor and thus won't accrue status. That is not necessarily the case. I have money to travel well but I can't stand the idea of spending big bucks when it is not necessary (particularly for a place just to sleep).
Old Sep 4, 2005, 8:08 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
i'm 406 miles from gold flying leisure only

It would be a shame to miss being gold this year when I'm so close, but I don't know how much Katrina is going to disrupt my life, since we haven't been able to check on our home yet. There have some good offers this year on Northwest that have made it pretty easy for me to get Silver.

Originally Posted by grbflyer
i should rephrase my question. how many budget travelers have gained status by ONLY flying for leisure, not work related. Just curious.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
How would you classify "Budget Traveler"? I'm a 99% leisure traveler (exactly 1 business trip a year, usually staying in the Northeast). I stay in hostels and friends' couches, take buses and subways, and fly entirely deep discount economy fares. But the money saved on hotels and rental cars gets spent on a relatively high volume of weekend trips to visit friends and family, enough to make me a United Premier Executive and probably put a couple bartenders through school.

Also see this older thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375752

Last edited by choster; Sep 4, 2005 at 9:32 pm
Old Sep 5, 2005, 2:30 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Definitely 100% leisure travel for me.... dispite the misleading nickname
Old Sep 5, 2005, 3:10 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
100 % leasure travel, all on own dime, all for fun,...

It took me about a year for LH SEN and one serious summer of flying for SQ PPS.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 9:31 am

I normally don't like to brag

but this is the topic for me.

Am NW Plat for past 2 yrs, CO Plat 4 yrs prior. At one time had status on DL, CO, and AA simultaneously. ALL LEISURE, on my dime. And I don't believe in spending alot. My backpacking days are long over, yet I am shocked when I see people asking about $100 "budget" hotel rooms in third world countries .
Old Sep 6, 2005, 7:25 pm

Leisure miles only

This is my fourth year as US Chairman's Preferred. My husband is Gold and will move up to CP in a couple weeks. 100% leisure on our own cost-conscious budget - no business travel for either of us.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 7:41 pm
Suspended

BD Gold here, all on my own dime (56K to get it first time around).

Earned SEN status previously through leisure travel, but with the new earning rules of LH M&L, there was no hope of renewal, so I switched programs to keep my free lounge access.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by grbflyer
Just wondering if there are any budget travelers that have status? Almost a silver on NW.
Yep, gold on NW, gold or higher on at least one airline for 13 straight years now. About 95% of it all earned on my own dime on leisure trips at rock-bottom fares. Would usually try to pounce on spot specials, the freakish fares that'd last only a few hours (like NW's $98+ RTs earlier in the year from ATL to SEA and PDX).

Budget travelers have been hit especially hard in the last 5 years by program cutbacks. Few promos apply to the lowest fares anymore, and upgrades are generally much harder to get.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold
AA Plat, thank to a the challenge. No business travel. Enjoying the budget travel. However, I think I may have gotten a little to old for dorms in the hostels.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by RioFF
The OP on this thread seems to imply that budget travelers are poor and thus won't accrue status. That is not necessarily the case. I have money to travel well but I can't stand the idea of spending big bucks when it is not necessary (particularly for a place just to sleep).
Why spend the bucks for a room you will only use to sleep for 8 hours? I would rather go out to a fine restaurant with the $ I saved on that cheap room.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA, UA Silver. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RioFF
my question is not implying anything. my question is exactly how its stated. Again, i am almost a silver on NW and all leisure, if you are in a similar situation, please share your story.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 2:24 pm
kdp

Programs: AA EXP/1MM
My family of 4 is AA Platinum (we flew 86,000 miles last year), all leisure/self-financed travel.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Two trips to Sweden (one financed with bump vouchers) and one trip to Vegas just got me 2P (Premier) status on UA.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 1:25 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
My "Program" description to the left says it all. Maintain it with 2 RT, open jaw bargain fare (Q, V, N) trips to the States each year along with one or two (Lan oferta) jaunts to nearby Argentina.

Still have Hertz #1 Gold status for no $/year gained back in the days AA and AAdvantage was flush with cash.

Most consider AA Gold nada but its great to be able to use Lan's special first/business/elite check area at SCL (I'm sure my pareja chilena is impressed) and normal business check-in elsewhere. Lounge access??…I don't need no stinkin' lounge access when you can do camouflage BYOB to wait out boarding and free wireless at SCL. Previous sentence spoken like a true "budget traveler……

Last edited by Viajero Perpetuo; Sep 8, 2005 at 1:45 am Reason: Very late and too much pisco

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.