Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need inexpensive OW Europe to East Coast US

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2023, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Need inexpensive OW Europe to East Coast US

Please share some tips or info on how to get a lower price on a one-way ticket from Europe to EastCoast US or nearby May 6, 2024 or later.

We are looking at trans-atlantic cruise ending in Barcelona. Seem like price and points (DL) for OW are about the same as RT. If I have to pay RT, I'll figure another cruise to really use the flight I'll have to pay for! (But OW would be sweet.). Cruise line wants to charge $1500ish per person.

I know inter-European flights are cheap, so don't mind flying to any other city to depart Europe. And I can easily handle any Florida airports or NYC as first choices... but will take any East Coast or close city.

To be picky, if I do coach, I do like planes with a 2 seat side, not a complete killer deal, but while I'm telling you desires! ha!
Will pay "reasonable" for comfort upgrade. Would be hugely wonderful to afford business class.

Thanks for any of your thoughts! and for helping a not so savvy traveler.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 6:57 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
A couple of thoughts:

It is probably too early to purchase now, as prices tend to go lower before they go back up. Almost a year out, you will likely not see lowest prices.

Most, if not all, legacy US carriers tend to charge more for one way than round trip, as the lower fare buckets are only available for r/t fares. So you may need to find a European and/or low cost carrier.

As for more comfort, that tends to cost more. Keep an eye out on Mileage Run Forum, cheap and/or mistake fares pop up - if the price is good, jump on it, as mistake fares tend to disappear VERY quickly.
want2go likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 8:15 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
We are doing a trans Atlantic the opposite way. Leaving Barcelona. What we found was best for us was French Bee (premium) to Paris and then the train to Barcelona. Came out cheaper than traditional carriers wanted for economy especially if I booked it from my home airport.
want2go likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by want2go
Please share some tips or info on how to get a lower price on a one-way ticket from Europe to EastCoast US or nearby May 6, 2024 or later.

We are looking at trans-atlantic cruise ending in Barcelona. Seem like price and points (DL) for OW are about the same as RT. If I have to pay RT, I'll figure another cruise to really use the flight I'll have to pay for! (But OW would be sweet.). Cruise line wants to charge $1500ish per person.

I know inter-European flights are cheap, so don't mind flying to any other city to depart Europe. And I can easily handle any Florida airports or NYC as first choices... but will take any East Coast or close city.

To be picky, if I do coach, I do like planes with a 2 seat side, not a complete killer deal, but while I'm telling you desires! ha!
Will pay "reasonable" for comfort upgrade. Would be hugely wonderful to afford business class.

Thanks for any of your thoughts! and for helping a not so savvy traveler.
On May 7, you can get the AA nonstop BCN-JFK for 25,000 AA miles plus $40.15:

Main Cabin Extra (extra-leg-room) seats are an extra-cost option, bookable with either cash or AA miles.

AA's BCN-PHL nonstop is available on the same date at the same price.

If you are credit worthy, here's an easy way to get 50,000 AA miles at little cost to you:

https://www.applyaviator.com/

If you want Premium Economy on May 7, it is available for $624 on Level's BCN-JFK nonstop, operated by Iberia. That fare includes one free checked bag.
want2go and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by guv1976; Jul 21, 2023 at 9:40 pm
Old Jul 21, 2023, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
It's pretty astonishing that AA's award price for the BCN-JFK nonstop comes in at one-fourth of the miles that DL wants for its nonstop. And DL tacks on a Europe-originating cash surcharge on its award to boot!
want2go and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EmailKid
A couple of thoughts:

It is probably too early to purchase now, as prices tend to go lower before they go back up. Almost a year out, you will likely not see lowest prices.

Most, if not all, legacy US carriers tend to charge more for one way than round trip, as the lower fare buckets are only available for r/t fares. So you may need to find a European and/or low cost carrier.

As for more comfort, that tends to cost more. Keep an eye out on Mileage Run Forum, cheap and/or mistake fares pop up - if the price is good, jump on it, as mistake fares tend to disappear VERY quickly.
Thank you! Great thoughts!

Originally Posted by Omnivore
We are doing a trans Atlantic the opposite way. Leaving Barcelona. What we found was best for us was French Bee (premium) to Paris and then the train to Barcelona. Came out cheaper than traditional carriers wanted for economy especially if I booked it from my home airport.
Awesome to know! I will study this!

Originally Posted by guv1976
On May 7, you can get the AA nonstop BCN-JFK for 25,000 AA miles plus $40.15:

Main Cabin Extra (extra-leg-room) seats are an extra-cost option, bookable with either cash or AA miles.

AA's BCN-PHL nonstop is available on the same date at the same price.

If you are credit worthy, here's an easy way to get 50,000 AA miles at little cost to you:

https://www.applyaviator.com/

If you want Premium Economy on May 7, it is available for $624 on Level's BCN-JFK nonstop, operated by Iberia. That fare includes one free checked bag.
Wow! Thank you for so much detail and ideas! I will study this too. What are your impressions of Level? I sort of worry about low cost carriers cutting cost on quality aircraft or going out of business once you buy tickets. Guess I'm old school. Looks like the main cabin has 2 seats on sides... for me that's a plus and premium not much more. And leaves from Barcelona. Lots of pluses.

Thanks again to all of you!
Old Jul 22, 2023, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
It's pretty astonishing that AA's award price for the BCN-JFK nonstop comes in at one-fourth of the miles that DL wants for its nonstop. And DL tacks on a Europe-originating cash surcharge on its award to boot!
There is a reason why Delta's SkyMiles are referred to as Sky Pesos in the Delta forum

Originally Posted by want2go
What are your impressions of Level? I sort of worry about low cost carriers cutting cost on quality aircraft or going out of business once you buy tickets. Guess I'm old school. Looks like the main cabin has 2 seats on sides.
IIRC Level is owned by one of the major European carriers. And I would not worry about them on cutting costs for maintenance, but I suppose it's always possible that they may go out of business. But with travel booming and pandemic over I would say the risk is not very big.
want2go likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 10:10 pm

Using Google flights, looks like there are one way coach tickets to NYC and WAS for under $300 one way with connections. Not terrible pricing for one way if you can find a routing that's not too painful. IB nonstop BCN-JFK is $384. If you had Amex or Chase points you could transfer points to Avios and use around 22K Avios one way. You didn't mention the prices you were seeing so not sure what you think a bargain is. Also agree it might be a bit early to commit unless cancel/change fees were minimal.
aroundtheworld76 and want2go like this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Originally Posted by EmailKid
There is a reason why Delta's SkyMiles are referred to as Sky Pesos in the Delta forum

IIRC Level is owned by one of the major European carriers. And I would not worry about them on cutting costs for maintenance, but I suppose it's always possible that they may go out of business. But with travel booming and pandemic over I would say the risk is not very big.
Yep. Level is owned outright by IAG. Same owners as BA and IB. They are just fine across the pond. No frills, but they get you there.

Also consider a cheapo euro flight / train to London, Paris or Milan and fly from there on Norse/French Bee/Neos respectively. As you get closer to the dates, check Kiwi, as they often have throwaway ticket or hidden city deals from Europe to the US.
want2go likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
Yep. Level is owned outright by IAG. Same owners as BA and IB. They are just fine across the pond. No frills, but they get you there.

Also consider a cheapo euro flight / train to London, Paris or Milan and fly from there on Norse/French Bee/Neos respectively. As you get closer to the dates, check Kiwi, as they often have throwaway ticket or hidden city deals from Europe to the US.
Thanks for confirming the IAG group.

As for cheap flights ex London ...... there is an extra environmental fee added to each ticket, and it's (IIRC) about a couple of hundred dollars more for premium class (that includes not just Biz but Premium Economy).

Condor has some decent premium prices as does Icelandair for their (IIRC) Saga class, which is essentially Premium Economy (no matter what they call it).
Old Aug 30, 2023, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Omnivore
what was your experience with this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.