Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Cheapest flight for London-JFK then IAD-London then Reykjavik to IAD? (Non-stop)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest flight for London-JFK then IAD-London then Reykjavik to IAD? (Non-stop)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2023, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

(This is over 2 months)

Weird travel route because of 1 way cruises.
1) Cruise leaves NYC and ends in South Hampton, England on May 4th. (I drive to NYC.)
2) I'm in Northern VA. My next cruise leaves from South Hampton on May 31
3) The cruise in #2 ends up in Reykjavik on June 23.

Best I've done:
Multi-city British Airways ($594): Lgw (Gatwick airport) - JFK (May 4, 3pm) then IAD - LHR (Heathrow) on May 29 (10:45pm) which arrives in England 11am next day (May 30). I book 1 day hotel.
One way Play Air ($347): rey - iad (June 23, 3pm)

$594 + $347 = $941
I rarely fly so don't have that many miles and no status on any airline.
But I do have 19,800 Amex Membership Rewards® Points from no-fee Amex Everyday card.

Anything better?

Last edited by snail; Apr 10, 2023 at 10:48 pm
Old Apr 10, 2023, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by snail
(This is over 2 months)

Weird travel route because of 1 way cruises.
1) Cruise leaves NYC and ends in South Hampton, England on May 4th. I drive to NYC.
2) I'm in Northern VA. My next cruise leaves from South Hampton on May 31
3) The cruise in #2 ends up in Reykjavik on June 23.

Best I've done:
Multi-city British Airways ($594): Lgw (Gatwick airport) - JFK (May 4, 3pm) then IAD - LHR (Heathrow) on May 29 (10:45pm) which arrives in England 11am next day. I book 1 day hotel.
One way Play Air ($347): rey - iad (June 23, 3pm)

$594 + $347 = $941
I rarely fly so don't have that many miles and no status on any airline.
But I do have 19,800 Amex Membership Rewards® Points from no-fee Amex Everyday card.

Anything better?
Or a cheap hotel for May 4th - May 31 for around $594?
Old Apr 11, 2023, 12:37 am

Programs: BA Silver
I think you'll struggle to beat the BA return price tbh - I just had a very quick look on Norse Airlines (the rump of Norwegian) for a LGW-JFK return and it was coming in more expensive even on their absolute basic fare (no bags, meals or seats).

Btw, it's Southampton (one word) (from where you can relatively easily get the train direct to LGW), and the international airport for Reykjavik is KEF.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 12:38 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
We're not a travel agency here, but you may want to look at Norse Atlantic, which has LGW-JFK for £189 + bag fees on the date that you need.
farci likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Palal
We're not a travel agency here, but you may want to look at Norse Atlantic, which has LGW-JFK for £189 + bag fees on the date that you need.
...or check out possibilities on Google Flights
Old Apr 11, 2023, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Seems like you have some pretty good fares as is. I'd rather have your BA segments at around $300 apiece than try to shave a few bucks with a non-alliance carrier with few irrops alternatives. Coming home on a small carrier after the cruises are done is fine.
trooper likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
Seems like you have some pretty good fares as is. I'd rather have your BA segments at around $300 apiece than try to shave a few bucks with a non-alliance carrier with few irrops alternatives. Coming home on a small carrier after the cruises are done is fine.
ugg.. i went to book today and prices went up.

BA multi-city is now $708 and Delta/Virgin is $719.

Thought Tues was supposed to be cheaper ticket prices because businesses with full refund tix canceled on Mon?
Old Apr 11, 2023, 2:49 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I am moving this thread to the FT Budget Travel Forum
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Apr 11, 2023, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

Thought Tues was supposed to be cheaper ticket prices because businesses with full refund tix canceled on Mon?
Still not bad. Pick one and book it. I tend to lean Oneworld but if I were a complete neutral I'd just select the one with times that work out best for you.

The fares aren't likely to get cheaper at this point.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 7:10 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

This close in, it's not really a surprise that airfare went up

Tuesday is cheaper to fly, not so sure it's cheaper to buy. But at any rate, you are VERY close to three week advance purchase when prices tend to REALLY go up. Of course something may happen, but those are "rules" I use to purchase my tickets.

You got some good advice here, including using Google Flights and to buy quickly (before prices go up even more).
Old Apr 12, 2023, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EmailKid
This close in, it's not really a surprise that airfare went up

Tuesday is cheaper to fly, not so sure it's cheaper to buy. But at any rate, you are VERY close to three week advance purchase when prices tend to REALLY go up. Of course something may happen, but those are "rules" I use to purchase my tickets.

You got some good advice here, including using Google Flights and to buy quickly (before prices go up even more).
Bought virgin atlantic: 555 pounds ($695) regular economy where i can pick seats.
Was a pain buying because it's in pounds. One credit card wouldn't go through.

another one had to verify via txt msg code.
then virgin atlantic's site went back to the home page after i entered the code on their site!
Re-did the whole thing. Was able to pick same seats so that re-assures me that i didnt get changed twice.

I guess since round trip originates from england, it defaults to pounds.
lgw-jfk -> Delta
iad - Lhr -> Virgin

Now to buy Play Air for kef-IAD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.