Search

Backpacking?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2021, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by pierre mclopez
I met a Scot who brought a cast iron skillet on the Milford Track. Sometimes it pays to break the rules, he cooked up some pretty good stuff!
What was his heat source? Did he carry a portable stove as well?

David
Old Feb 16, 2021, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Originally Posted by DELee
What was his heat source? Did he carry a portable stove as well?

David
Milford Track has huts for stopovers. Kitchens have propane. It's pretty structured.

DC9 likes this.

Last edited by pierre mclopez; Feb 16, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Old Feb 17, 2021, 3:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pierre mclopez
I met a Scot who brought a cast iron skillet on the Milford Track. Sometimes it pays to break the rules, he cooked up some pretty good stuff!
Man of iron -- as in no iron deficiency.

I've got some old school cast iron skillets -- probably at least a hundred years old at this point (if not even older) -- and they are heavy. Heavy as in they can cause some real damage if falling onto a body part or onto floors. [Gently putting two on top of each other was heavy enough to collapse the corners of some of my glass/ceramic smooth-top stoves. With one stove I thought it was a fluke. Twice, I thought it was bad luck. Thrice, I was like these things are "heavyyyy!".]

So I guess when you say "break the rules" you mean carrying heavy equipment/supplies. I guess it's easier when it's someone else being encumbered with the heavy stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.