Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Airports with no / bad public transportation to be AVOIDED?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airports with no / bad public transportation to be AVOIDED?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Almost without exception, the Ryanair-esque airports have reasonably priced buses timed for each flight. From Stewart (SWF) to Manhattan is $20, which is comparable to the NY Airport Service bus to JFK ($19) and a bit more than the LIRR/Airtrain combo cost of $15.75 peak. While the subway /Airtrain combo can be had for $8.

Likewise FMM-Munich Center can be had for 12eur, GIR to Barcelona Center for 16eur, the same for HHN-Frankfurt Center.

Most of these are dedicated services and will wait for delayed flights.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:50 am

OMA - Omaha public transportation does not service the airport after 5:30 PM and all weekends and holidays!
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Exclamation Go to Terminal 1.

Originally Posted by jbjelloid
The one time I caught the local train into Tokyo, I didn’t get a seat for the first hour. Tough to handle after a trans pacific flight. Since then I’ve been taking the Keisei Skyliner express train. Still willing to give the local train another try though. {edit}
No seats for the first hour on the local train? You must have arrived in Terminal 2. What you should have done (and I did this once) was take a shuttle, whether on the surface, or down in the basement with the Keisei trains, and ride back to Terminal 1. There, you will find an empty Keisei Main Line train, where you will find a seat, and probably manage to put your suitcase on the over-window rack. And the 'local' train is actually an uncharged limited express train to Ueno (¥1030).
Nonetheless, NRT should not be in this thread.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:06 am

Yes, Narita is pretty well linked by public transport to both Narita city and downtown Tokyo. It's the price that gets most people.

One that COULD be due a mention is BKK. Yes, it's very well linked by the cheap and convenient ARL, but that only runs from 6am to midnight. Not a problem you may think, but BKK is actually very busy at night

For tonight, there are 24 flights due between 23:00 and 23:59 including many widebodies. There are 21 flights due between 00:00 and 00:59 and 14 between 01:00 and 01:59 with quite a few WBs too.
Added that that there are 24 flights due to take off between 01:00 and 01:59, 16 between 02:00 and 02:59 and 10 between 03:00 and 03:59. The morning rush is already well under-way by the time the first train arrives in the morning close to 6:30 too.
This is the quiet season for Thailand as well!

An airport like HKG is much quieter at night for passenger flights and still has 24/7 buses to numerous districts around the city. Their Airport Rail Link also starts earlier and finishes later (05:50 to 00:48).
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:16 pm

US airport in general

There are no public transportation or bad connection in most US airport except some big one. One has to take expensive shuttle or rental car. I think it is done deliberately. Bus only run near airport not into airport like Dayton. It is obviously deliberate act. When there is public transit available such as ord and JFK , they artificially increase the price to airport. Normally some airport with no public transit has great airfare like Newburgh airport near new York, Orlando Sanford airport.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by travel69
There are no public transportation or bad connection in most US airport except some big one. One has to take expensive shuttle or rental car. I think it is done deliberately. Bus only run near airport not into airport like Dayton. It is obviously deliberate act. When there is public transit available such as ord and JFK , they artificially increase the price to airport. Normally some airport with no public transit has great airfare like Newburgh airport near new York, Orlando Sanford airport.
Off the top of my head:
BOS (FREE access to the ENTIRE T SYSTEM via Silver Line)
PHL
BWI
PDX
DCA (and, IAD is in the works)
JFK
EWR
ATL
MIA
SEA
SFO
OAK
MSP

And, since you mentioned SFP, of course you'd want to rent a car there for $15 per day because you'd be visiting ~5 theme parks, and maybe Cape Canaveral. The same goes for many other spread out areas.
pudgym29 and jebr like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 4:27 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I'll add a few more, in no particular order.

SAN
DFW and DAL
PDX
PHX
LAX
SJC
IAH and HOU, well sort of
AUS

True, outside of northeast and some large cities (a handful), there is very little public transport, but for better or worse, that is the nature of US public transportation. Try using it to get to work, there are some real horror stories there .....
Old Sep 30, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC
ORY is a bit of a nightmare for cheap transport. The Orlyval train is a complete rip off. The metro/tram combo is cheaper, but very slow and inconvenient. CDG is only marginally better.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by travel69
Bus only run near airport not into airport like Dayton.
Actually the route 43 RTA bus services the airport terminal directly at DAY. The pickups aren't super-frequent so if the schedule for that route doesn't work, then yes you might have to schlep to another stop in Vandalia to get onward bus service into Dayton. I suspect the majority of city bus riders to and from DAY are airport workers, rather than travellers, as most people here drive or Uber/taxi when flying. And there obviously isn't enough tourist traffic to warrant more robust public transport from the airport. It's a fairly sleepy airport in a boring city (I can say so since I live here!).

Originally Posted by moondog
Off the top of my head:
BOS (FREE access to the ENTIRE T SYSTEM via Silver Line)
PHL
BWI
PDX
DCA (and, IAD is in the works)
JFK
EWR
ATL
MIA
SEA
SFO
OAK
MSP

And, since you mentioned SFP, of course you'd want to rent a car there for $15 per day because you'd be visiting ~5 theme parks, and maybe Cape Canaveral. The same goes for many other spread out areas.
STL is another one
Old Sep 30, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would remove some of the suggested airports from the good list if it's necessary to take (and sometimes pay for) some kind of separate and often infrequent shuttle service to the public transportation. JFK and BWI are bad this way. IIRC other examples would be OAK, EWR, and PHX (although when I was there last, there was a lot of construction so it's possible that their light rail line to Tempe and downtown Phoenix does come to the terminals now).
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would remove some of the suggested airports from the good list if it's necessary to take (and sometimes pay for) some kind of separate and often infrequent shuttle service to the public transportation. JFK and BWI are bad this way. IIRC other examples would be OAK, EWR, and PHX (although when I was there last, there was a lot of construction so it's possible that their light rail line to Tempe and downtown Phoenix does come to the terminals now).
BWI does have light rail from the terminal itself. While painfully slow, no connections are required, assuming you want to go to points north or Baltimore City itself.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 10:32 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
PHX (although when I was there last, there was a lot of construction so it's possible that their light rail line to Tempe and downtown Phoenix does come to the terminals now).
A Metro rail terminal was constructed underneath T4 in the late 1980s with the intention of the tracks passing through the airport from downtown to Tempe. Through political maneuvering the rails were laid parallel to the airport instead of through it, so there is now a permanent two ride connection (Skytrain then Metro LRT) to use transit at PHX. What a wasted opportunity.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:18 am

AQJ - Aqaba, Jordan
No public transport except taxis.

NRN - Weeze, Germany (marketed by Ryanair as "Düsseldorf Weeze")
Public transport does exist, but the earliest arrival is at 7AM and the latest departure is at 10:30PM. So not suitable for early departures and late arrivals.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 11:12 am
Suspended

Danylo Halytskyi Lviw airport - you can't really find a working public transport from there to the center. There is a bus stand, but noone knows whether a bus will arrive, or not. Me and my fiance waited for 45mins, and finally decided to take "cabs". I've deliberately used "..." as it feels weird / dodgy when using the guys who seem to be tai dricers, and the information at the airpoirt directs you to them, but you bneed to huggle with them on the price, and the cars don't have official "taxi" bagde. That said we used one and he delivered us to the city center as promised, but it was kind of uncomfortable.
Old May 18, 2020, 2:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Club Vistara FFP
Bagdogra airport, Siliguri, India. I travelled to sikkim a long time back and took a flight to siliguri. The whole experience of getting my luggage and stepping out made me feel like I was either at a train station or a bus depot. I have read they have made a lot of improvements ever since, but that was the only airport I have travelled which had really bad public transport. As there were private car owners standing outside, and as a first timer I could easily be scammed but lucky for me, I had booked a car (along with a driver) prior to my arrival

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.