Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Parking at a Walmart and taking Uber to airport to save money

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Question Parking at a Walmart and taking Uber to airport to save money

Has anyone ever done this? I am planning on parking at a Walmart that is about 5 miles away from my airport and then taking Uber. Walmart usually has no problem with overnight parking, but since I am going to be gone for 7 days, I'm wondering if that is pushing it. Thoughts?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You should not be surprised if your car is towed and impounded. But I'd be much more worried about someone breaking in and/or stealing it. Not sure what kind of a car we are talking about, but I would think that the potential downside is much greater than a car service to the airport.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You should not be surprised if your car is towed and impounded. But I'd be much more worried about someone breaking in and/or stealing it. Not sure what kind of a car we are talking about, but I would think that the potential downside is much greater than a car service to the airport.
Walmarts are open 24/7 in the USA and have cameras that cover the parking lot. Smash and grabs from cars in their lots are uncommon and car thefts even more so. I'm more concerned about the possibility of a tow. Just wondering how long people have parked overnight in Walmart lots without any issues.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
In fact many, though not all, US Wal-Marts permit overnight parking - even for RV campers. I suppose in theory those which permit it might be more likely to not notice or care if your car were there for a week, but I couldn't say for sure. You can google Wal-Mart overnight parking and find quite a bit of discussion about it - probably there have been others who have actually done what you propose and you could see what their experiences were. This site is one example - it lists those Wal-Marts that don't allow overnighting:

No Overnight Parking at Walmart ? Walmart Locator

Still, even if you confirmed that the store would allow you to do it, I'd also wonder how much you're saving to make it worth taking the extra step and hassle of doing this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
But are we talking about a Bentley or a 20-year-old Buick? There is one Walmart about a twenty minute drive from our place near Naples, FL where I worry about leaving it for ten minutes...loads of shady yoots who are probably crack dealers.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by meade18
Walmarts are open 24/7 in the USA ...
That is simply not true as a blanket statement, though perhaps those in this poster's area are. The Wal-Mart closest to me (250 Hartford Ave, Bellingham, MA 02019) opens at 7 am and closes at 10 pm on weekdays. Do not assume that a given Wal-Mart is open 24/7 without checking that specific store.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Maybe better to take the bus or other public transport to the airport?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's all about risk tolerance.

1. The car is towed and OP pays for towing and impoundment fees.
2. The car is broken into and his insurance carrier denies coverage because the car was trespassing.

Nobody here can evaluate either of those risks for you. So, you decide whether it's worth the chance.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:03 pm

You are much better off taking Uber or public transportation from your home to the airport.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:59 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I'm going to move this to our budget travel forum, where it's more likely to be seen by users who have actually employed this strategy.

chgoeditor
co-moderator, Info Desk
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:25 pm

The icing on this ridiculous .... cake of an idea would be if the OP gets out of his uber and heads into paid J or F check-in at the airport.
jinglish, tynmar and MachoPichu like this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem
That is simply not true as a blanket statement, though perhaps those in this poster's area are. The Wal-Mart closest to me (250 Hartford Ave, Bellingham, MA 02019) opens at 7 am and closes at 10 pm on weekdays. Do not assume that a given Wal-Mart is open 24/7 without checking that specific store.
Yeah our Walmart closes at 10 too
Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by meade18
Has anyone ever done this? I am planning on parking at a Walmart that is about 5 miles away from my airport and then taking Uber. Walmart usually has no problem with overnight parking, but since I am going to be gone for 7 days, I'm wondering if that is pushing it. Thoughts?
And exactly how much will you be saving by doing this?

Personally I think its a terrible idea unless you car is such a junkpile that you don't mind it being stolen. If towed, the tow bill and storage will likely dwarf any saving you thing you are getting.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:38 pm

The parking lot at our local Walmart often looks a little like an RV park during the summer with the low-cost campers circling their rigs in an unused section. We live in an absolutely gorgeous area with beautiful parks, and here they are saving money by being in the Walmart parking lot..... Price and Value are not always the same thing.

The secret is not to be asking people on this forum, but to be talking with the manager at your local Walmart. What are their policies? Is there a particular part of the lot where they would like you to park? Can you give them an emergency contact number? How badly would you feel if something happens to your car?
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Can you not get a friend or family member to take you to the airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.