Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD > MBS prices

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

ORD > MBS prices

Any idea why the united airlines prices between ORD and MBS are usually around £180 return unless you exceed a months stay, at which point they increase to £500+ ?

At first I thought it was a google flights error but I saw the same occur on uniteds website directly.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
No idea why you get that kind of pricing, but my two thoughts are:

1. Buy two one way tickets instead.
2. Look into MDW-FNT instead. That is a cheap WN route, and Flint is only about a 30 minute drive from Saginaw. Not sure if AA/UA match those fares from ORD, but probably worth a look.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:58 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Or if you do ORD to FNT, going with DavidDTW's suggestion, roundtrip is £115, which is good, from AA.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Why take a flight if you are going away for such a long time, while it's not particularly far? Is there no greyhound bus? Plus side is you can take as much baggage as you want.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Bakpapier
Why take a flight if you are going away for such a long time, while it's not particularly far? Is there no greyhound bus? Plus side is you can take as much baggage as you want.
That would involve multiple transfers between buses. No direct service is offered. Another alternative would be Amtrak, which would also go from Chicago Union Station to Flint (no train to Saginaw).
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:59 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Perhaps they are considering cancelling this service?
Old Nov 27, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
That would involve multiple transfers between buses. No direct service is offered. Another alternative would be Amtrak, which would also go from Chicago Union Station to Flint (no train to Saginaw).
Wow, is public transportation really THAT bad in the US?

You know, I knew it was bad, especially in areas such as Texas where there is basically no public transportation whatsoever. But I always thought that the long-distance coach services (greyhound and the like) were fine, even in the US.

So basically your options are the plane, your car or walking in the US.

In this case I'd probably take the Amtrak train (if at a competitive price, which it probably isn't), then take a taxi. But the plane is probably cheaper.

I assume there are also no local flint - saginaw busses, since public transportation doesn't seem to exist.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 4:50 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Bakpapier
Wow, is public transportation really THAT bad in the US?

You know, I knew it was bad, especially in areas such as Texas where there is basically no public transportation whatsoever. But I always thought that the long-distance coach services (greyhound and the like) were fine, even in the US.
In many parts of the US, yes, it's THAT bad

Greyhound runs between major cities, but my first trip in over 20 years left me underwhelmed, even though there were only a handful of pax on the bus.

On about a three hour trip was delayed over 60 minutes

Chose to go Greyhound because time saving would have been minimal and I'd have WiFi en route, and the cost was $25 v. $75 to fly ^

Of course in addition to Greyhound, Texas now has Megabus, but I didn't like the times. Would have taken Amtrak for the novelty, but that was just over 5 hours
Old Nov 27, 2016, 7:49 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Dodgexander
Any idea why the united airlines prices between ORD and MBS are usually around £180 return unless you exceed a months stay, at which point they increase to £500+ ?

At first I thought it was a google flights error but I saw the same occur on uniteds website directly.
Many fares include in the fare rules a maximum stay of 30 days. This is very common on US to Europe trips but as you have noticed, can appear intra-US as well.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For this price difference, you should be able to buy two RTs and throw away the return flights. However, I'd also check pricing with one or both being one way tickets. On most domestic USA routes now, RTs are rarely cheaper than two one ways, although there are two change fees if the trip is cancelled.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Wow, sorry I am a month late to this thread:

Yes ORD-MBS (and vv) is an expensive ticket. Mainly as there is no competition on the route. But unlike other regional airports, MBS is too big for EAS or other subsidized service. But too small for broader competition (B6, WN etc.).

Your also doomed on the other types of transport:

As pointed above, train is not an option as it will dump you in Durand, MI at 9:00pm (roughly) with ZERO onward transportation options (no cab to Saginaw, no rental cars open, etc). And similar on the next stop at Flint (granted easier to then get a cab from there to a rental counter at FNT... but still a cumbersome journey). Parlay that with the Amtrak station in Flint is certainly not the greatest location in the world.

Sadly, I would also not recommend Greyhound (officially its subcontracted with Indian Trails). Because it also leaves you with virtually zero onward transportation options. Downtown Saginaw (where the bus is located) is EXTREMELY difficult for getting a cab (although some other arrangements can be made).

May I pry to ask what or why you may grace us with your presence here around the MBS region? I would be more then happy to help steer you in your transportation choices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.