Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap flights from Toronto to DC?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Hey all,

I'm looking for a way to fly someone down from Toronto to DC but is it just me or have prices jumped up even more than before? I've tried all the traditional airlines, and Porter airlines from YTZ as well and everything is upwards of $600 round trip. For a 50 minute flight, that's transatlantic pricing :-)

Does anyone have some suggestions on alternate routing? Different airlines? Reward tickets to bring down the cost? Anything is welcome.

Thanks,
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If you can find MileSAAver Coach seats on AA's YYZ-DCA nonstops, those seats can be had for just 7,500 BA Avios one way. AAdvantage will also start offering 7,500-mile redemptions on short-haul nonstops come next Tuesday, but I'm not sure if that rate will be good on trans-border flights.

Amex MR, Chase UR, and Starwood points can all be converted to BA Avios -- although MR points no longer convert at a 1:1 ratio. Avios can also be earned directly with the Chase/BA Visa card.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 8:38 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by homerjsimpso
Does anyone have some suggestions on alternate routing? Different airlines?
You can fly into BWI or IAD, and even more inconvenient is to take the bus to BUF and fly from there as many from Toronto have done over the years.

Crossing the border in a bus will save a lot of taxes involved with flights.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
You don't mention your dates, but I'm seeing several dates in April for under $200.

Did you have some button set to business class or 1st?

American and Delta.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k

BA Avios works fine for cross border flights. IIRC it was about $70 in taxes and fees.
Old May 27, 2016, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

I took a look at AA flights and even though there are AASaver rates on AA.com, there's nothing direct (looking for something before xmas). How were you guys able to find BA rates? I'm searching on BA's website and it's not even showing up as a supported route. Looks like Air Canada Express, American, and United Express are the ones running those routes. Sorry, I'm still learning about all this so any advice is appreciated.

Thx
Old May 27, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Using ITA Matrix, I just put in 12/21 departure from YYZ to DCA and return on 12/26 and came up with a $320 CAD on Air Canada, non stop both ways. Not sure if those are you dates but try this https://matrix.itasoftware.com

Once you find a flight that makes sense, go to the airlines website and book directly there.
Old May 29, 2016, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I took a look at AA flights and even though there are AASaver rates on AA.com, there's nothing direct (looking for something before xmas). How were you guys able to find BA rates? I'm searching on BA's website and it's not even showing up as a supported route. Looks like Air Canada Express, American, and United Express are the ones running those routes. Sorry, I'm still learning about all this so any advice is appreciated.

Thx
The ba.com website is not very good at displaying available award flights that involve connections on AA. You must search for each segment individually. But since BAEC charges for each award flight flown, flying from Eastern Canada to WAS with a connection in NYC, PHL, or ORD would cost you 15,000 Avios each way -- not a great deal.
Old May 29, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat
If they can drive to BUF there are cheap flights to be had from there on UA.
Old May 29, 2016, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by economyplusfan
If they can drive to BUF there are cheap flights to be had from there on UA.
IIRC Megabus runs between BUF (airport and town) and Toronto. Probably Greyhound as well.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Any chance you are looking at a one-way flight? If so, you might look at round trips and just not do the return. Sometimes the one-way rates are really inflated.

Romelle
Old May 30, 2016, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Romelle
Sometimes the one-way rates are really inflated
Have not really seen this much in last year or two in cross border flights to Canada, even Mexico not as much.

Longhaul is another story ...
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Hey all,

I'm revisiting this post to see if anyone has any insights. I'm looking for flights again from Toronto to Washington DC in the next 2 weeks for 2-4 nights. I've looked at Matrix and flights are coming up at $340 USD which I know is 'normal' unfortunately on this route. BUF departure is also coming up at around $300. I'm not looking to spend points right now so just wondering if there's anything else worth looking at.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Hey all,

I'm revisiting this post to see if anyone has any insights. I'm looking for flights again from Toronto to Washington DC in the next 2 weeks for 2-4 nights. I've looked at Matrix and flights are coming up at $340 USD which I know is 'normal' unfortunately on this route. BUF departure is also coming up at around $300. I'm not looking to spend points right now so just wondering if there's anything else worth looking at.

Thanks for your help!
FT is not a travel agency.
Lots of places - in addition to Matrix - to look online: which have been discussed ad nauseam.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

No worries. Sorry about that.

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
FT is not a travel agency.
Lots of places - in addition to Matrix - to look online: which have been discussed ad nauseam.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.