Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Buying in one country, selling in another?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying in one country, selling in another?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by WorldLux
AFAIK, the reason why especially Chinese spend fortunes in Europe on luxury goods is that imported luxury goods are heavily taxed in China. I've seen them in outlets storm Prada, Gucci, etc..., buying everything and then heading to the Samsonite store in the outlet, put all the shopping in there and leave again.
The sad/ironic thing is that a good amount of those goods were made or assembled in China.

On the flipside, I've bought items marketed by a French-based chain (that I would swear is the couturier to rural France) for much less in the chain's Chinese shops (where its products are sourced from) than in the chain's shops in Europe and Asia.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310
I do it, from the US & Europe to Japan. Not going to say what exactly as I have a pretty good run on a niche market at the moment. Only customs issue I have is 8% consumption tax in Japan as what I sell is otherwise duty free. On average I can make an extra $50-70k a year in addition to my regular income, so I suppose if someone actually wanted to they could do it full time. It definitely provides me with travel money plus some, so if it's something that interests you, I'd recommended finding something fairly niche with a high margin in the country you'd be selling in, that way you don't deal with so much volume. Also very helpful to do duty free goods or very low duty.

Hi - I’m a young entrepreneur, I have a moving company I run and trying to branch out into doing what your doing. Was seeing if you’d be willing to give me some info or perhaps some type of consulting? It wouldn’t be near your niche and that information wouldn’t need to be divulged. Was looking into finding talented artists in a few different countries and reselling their artwork where I’m located and pay them a premium and build relationships with people around the world. Any info would be much appreciated!
Old Jul 17, 2023, 3:23 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by boboqui
Nespresso capsules in France cost almost half as much is in the US.
in the UK they cost a fifth of what they cost in Angola. Clothes, watches, games consoles, medicines, tyres, car parts and Nespressoo tablets can all be sold at substantial premium in Angola.

Last edited by EmailKid; Jul 17, 2023 at 4:24 pm Reason: Fixed typos
Old Jul 18, 2023, 12:41 pm

I also used to buy some band goods from Japan for an aquaintance. As i was able to locate a second hand store there, i made some profit and it paid for some of my trip.
but I agree that niche markets are the way to go here. 😬

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.