Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Buying in one country, selling in another?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying in one country, selling in another?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:09 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by groovinjello

I've heard others talk about buying up things in the US, like Jeans or other hot fashion items and selling them in Europe, etc. Or buying Jeans in Japan and selling them in the states.

GJ
I work less than I used to, but still work for a large retail chain. Up until about a year or 2 ago, Europeans from countries like Germany and the UK would purchase brands like Levis, Polo, Lacoste, Boss... in the US. They claimed the items were about 50% more in their countries. Exchange rates have changed and I am not certain this is still true.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by u2fan
They claimed the items were about 50% more in their countries. Exchange rates have changed and I am not certain this is still true.
I still buy shirts (i.e. Hilfiger or Polo) and trousers (i.e. Levi's) for myself in the states. It is still possible to save some bucks.

But keep in mind that clothing and other stuff are not free of duty if you exceed 430 € (~ 475 US-$) purchase price. Also you won't get the retail price of German/European stores because as private saler you propably can't offer warranty and things would be nonreturnable. If you have to pay fees (i.e. for ebay) your profit is gone.

It looks good on first sight but if you do the math...
Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:26 pm

Nespresso capsules in France cost almost half as much is in the US.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
I used to bring my "old" iPhone's iPads to Indonesia and unload them for at least 50% more than what I could sell them for in the USA.

Unfortunately, the Indonesian currency has fallen about 50% since then and people can't really afford to pay more than they used to. So that dried up. OTOH, the currency drop has made it cheaper there for my U$D's.

The other funny thing in Indonesia is if you don't have the box, you lose about 20% of the value of what you're selling. Why they want the box that is never used is beyond me (ok, sure it looks cool at your desk or whatever). So making boxes to sell over there might be more lucrative than selling the gear!
Old Apr 12, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: A3 Silver, BA BLUE, IHG Gold, Hertz President's circle, AY plat
On a trip to Japan last June, I bought an Apple Watch for around 280 EUR in Tokyo, and sold it in Belgium for more than double the price.
At that time, Apple Watches were still not launched in Belgium, and some people were willing to pay significantly more to have one before the launch date.

My flight ticket was almost double recovered with that one watch
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by fbruno
On a trip to Japan last June, I bought an Apple Watch for around 280 EUR in Tokyo, and sold it in Belgium for more than double the price.
At that time, Apple Watches were still not launched in Belgium, and some people were willing to pay significantly more to have one before the launch date.

Did you pay import and resale duties?
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:30 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by fbruno
^

Originally Posted by Adam1222
People do that
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
^

People do that
People that have offshore accounts, for sure!
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by boboqui
People that have offshore accounts, for sure!
Yes, people do declare duties and follow the law. Particularly if they are going to brag about doing it on the internet.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Of course not, legally.

Are you aware of the person's duty free import allowance? If you were, then you may realize the nature of the relevance of your question.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:05 am

Yes, people do declare duties and follow the law. Particularly if they are going to brag about doing it on the internet.
Follow the law? Of course!

Let me ask you, what is "is"?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by boboqui
Follow the law? Of course!

Let me ask you, what is "is"?
Putting aside the snark, there is no reasonable debate that importing goods for resale is for personal use, which is what duty exemptions typically allow.

And yes, I'm quite aware of the EU duty free allowance, which is limited to "goods having no commercial character."
Old Apr 13, 2016, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Putting aside the snark, there is no reasonable debate that importing goods for resale is for personal use, which is what duty exemptions typically allow.

And yes, I'm quite aware of the EU duty free allowance, which is limited to "goods having no commercial character."
Importing a singular item and then trying to sell it isn't a form of personal use of an imported good? Is that a good for impersonal use?

Even my heavily used suitcase is a good that may have a commercial character under some circumstances. My importing it into the EU to dump it on the local equivalent of craigslist sales or eBay isn't going to result in "import and resale duties" even if I tried again.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Importing a singular item and then trying to sell it isn't a form of personal use of an imported good? Is that a good for impersonal use?

Even my heavily used suitcase is a good that may have a commercial character under some circumstances. My importing it into the EU to dump it on the local equivalent of craigslist sales or eBay isn't going to result in "import and resale duties" even if I tried again.
We will just have to agree to disagree whether importing items with the intent to resell it on the market is a commercial use. In common parlance personal use means "use by you" not "for sale by you." Personal use and commercial use are indeed the terms appropriately used here. Are you suggesting that "placing for sale to generate a profit" is not "commercial"?

It is strange that would use the term "dump" on the local market, as that is classic verbiage to describe activity that is generally subject to duties.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Awwwwwww YISSSSS. It's on now.

Grabbing my popcorn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.