Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

IAD to SFO on a budget

Here's my ideal itinerary:
Depart: 7/18 Return: 8/1
2 Adults 1 Infant in Lap
Does it get better than $860?
Did the best I could (admittedly which may not be that good) on my usual sites (Kayak, Google Flights, Priceline, Orbitz, RouteHappy, Southwest).

Although I am open to other airports (DCA/BWI, OAK/SAC/SMF) but it gets really expensive with cab fares or rentals.
The only other option I can think of is to use AA miles. Curiously I'm seeing some decent Business MileSAAver availability for my dates (25k each way per person) but I was saving those miles for a family trip to Australia this winter.

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by JuliusPIV; Jul 14, 2015 at 8:22 pm
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Have you checked Virgin America? They just announced a sale. Good luck ^
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:16 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
It's the height of summer tourist season, you are about to be inside 7 day advance purchase window, so at this point I believe there are NO good options. Prices are NOT likely to come down.

Try to see if you can get AA saver in coach, otherwise if you HAVE to go, you'll just have to bite the bullet @:-)
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
IAD to SFO on a budget

southwest flies from bwi to lax. possibly they do Oakland too?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:47 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
IAD to SFO on a budget

SWA only has good fares more than 7 days out
Most good fares are 14+ days out

They gouge you at last minute
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:16 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star
To be fair I flew BWI to SEA last week and saw fares $174 each way for my flight 2-3 days before takeoff.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JuliusPIV
2 Adults 1 Infant in Lap
Does it get better than $860?
Did the best I could (admittedly which may not be that good) on my usual sites (Kayak, Google Flights, Priceline, Orbitz, RouteHappy, Southwest).

Although I am open to other airports (DCA/BWI, OAK/SAC/SMF) but it gets really expensive with cab fares or rentals.
The only other option I can think of is to use AA miles. Curiously I'm seeing some decent Business MileSAAver availability for my dates (25k each way per person) but I was saving those miles for a family trip to Australia this winter.

If you're not flexible on dates or airports, Flyer talkers are not going to be able to come up with any fares different from the ones you're seeing. May they drop closer in? Sure. But BWI-SEA is a very different route so the comment about that isn't so helpful. They just as likely will go up.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do not let yourself get inside the 7-day window. Sure, it is always possible that the bottom drops out of the market and some 100-person tour group cancels, thus opening dirt cheap fare buckets, but that's highly unlikely.

You are edging towards walk-up prices.

As you price things, look at the total. Not just airfare. If an UberX to DCA + airfare costs more than xIAD, IAD is a better deal and so on.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
You could take a fling at bidding via Priceline. No choice on airline, hour of the day. Deals aren't frequent, but bidding is free.

Romelle
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:46 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
It's the height of summer tourist season, you are about to be inside 7 day advance purchase window, so at this point I believe there are NO good options.
Originally Posted by Tony10s
SWA only has good fares more than 7 days out
Most good fares are 14+ days out

They gouge you at last minute
Well, that was my point @:-)

And others do it more so than WN.

Almost anytime I had to fly inside 7 days back when my work took me all over US my company would put me on WN, as they were (about 6 years ago) the cheapest.

Originally Posted by Often1
Do not let yourself get inside the 7-day window. Sure, it is always possible that the bottom drops out of the market and some 100-person tour group cancels, thus opening dirt cheap fare buckets, but that's highly unlikely.
And unless you need to take a ton of luggage, you can use public transport. Certainly available for BWI and DCA and all airports in SFO area, including OAK and SJC.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by JuliusPIV
2 Adults 1 Infant in Lap
So... OP... what choice did you go with?

-AD
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the really helpful responses and I have a better understanding of what's going on.
Considering the urgent situation, I'm going to look at either buying some AA miles (while I can still advantage of the bonus) and get out that way or that ~$860 fare that gets me in super late.

Many thanks on the insight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.