Wiki Posts
Search

Is this a good Round the World

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Is this a good round the world on a budget

Are there any airlines that I should stay clear of or possible cheaper flights on similar routes

Also if anyone know what the big difference is between Jetstar Asia and Jetstar Pacific then that would be helpful as well

Sorry but the prices are in AUD cause i'm based in Brisbane

4th August 2015
Jetstar JQ 5 - Brisbane to Honolulu
AUD $379

7th August 2015
Allegiant Airlines G4 1072 - Honolulu to Los Angles
AUD $281.35

12 August 2015
Norwegian Airlines DY 7084 - Los Angles to Oslo
AUD $381.10

19 August 2015
Norwegian Airlines DY 7201 - Oslo to Bangkok
AUD $309.16

25 August 2015
Jetstar Asia 3K 510 - Bangkok to Singapore
AUD $75

27 August 2015
Scoot Airways TZ 6 - Singapore to Gold Coast
AUD $185

Total Price
$1610.61
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:05 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by henrus
Also if anyone know what the big difference is between Jetstar Asia and Jetstar Pacific then that would be helpful as well
Jetstar Asia is based in Singapore, Jetstar Pacific is based in Vietnam. They are both part owned by Jetstar Airways which is a subsidiary of Qantas.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: KLM Gold/MS Elite/LH FTL/HH Gold/Accor PLAT/IHG Plat Ambassador/CC Gold

Be careful that when flying lcc you often have to pay a lot for luggage...norwegian is one example and you maybe have no food included and no miles and lounge.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:36 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Does seem like a decent price, but as noted above, lot of LCCs charge for any luggage larger than a small backpack.

Pretty sure the only reason Aliegiant is profitable is that they collect luggage and other junk fees. You may want to check each carrier web site, especially since there tends to be a HUGE difference between paying online v. at the airport.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:27 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Does seem like a decent price, but as noted above, lot of LCCs charge for any luggage larger than a small backpack.

Pretty sure the only reason Aliegiant is profitable is that they collect luggage and other junk fees. You may want to check each carrier web site, especially since there tends to be a HUGE difference between paying online v. at the airport.
thatt and they took those MD80s for cheap

I question the longterm viability of G4 to HNL. That is the only red flag here. And I think they charge for carryons? 99% sure the rest dont.

I have heard Norwegian to be interesting on longhaul. hopefully they have fixed the kinks!

question from me: are you going to any other countries than those on your RTW?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
For $1503 US, I made a trip that went around the world through 12 countries.

Last edited by EmailKid; Dec 13, 2014 at 12:05 am Reason: Link to disgusting naked guy photo on web page removed
Old Dec 13, 2014, 4:33 am
Original Poster

I would most likley spend time with family who are currently living in London so a lot of time would be spent their but I have not included it in the price as I know I can get ~AUD$150 return to London from Oslo

The same can also be said about Los Angles where I would most likley find cheap Southwest or similar flights to visit a few cities from L.A but again that would be extra based on the price

Thanks for the interesting comments on G4 as I just found them as the cheapest airline but If any one can provide suggestions on getting to Los Angles . I have never heard of an airline that charges for carry on
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
I would most likley spend time with family who are currently living in London so a lot of time would be spent their but I have not included it in the price as I know I can get ~AUD$150 return to London from Oslo

The same can also be said about Los Angles where I would most likley find cheap Southwest or similar flights to visit a few cities from L.A but again that would be extra based on the price

Thanks for the interesting comments on G4 as I just found them as the cheapest airline but If any one can provide suggestions on getting to Los Angles . I have never heard of an airline that charges for carry on
Spirit charges for carry ons. Allegiant is your only real discount link between Hawaii and the US. You can use West Jet, which some people consider to be an LCC (personally I don't). Sometimes you can get some screaming deals to oakland on Alaska Airlines. I think Allegiant is your best bet.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:33 am

Is this a good round the world on a budget

Are there any airlines that I should stay clear of or possible cheaper flights on similar routes

Sorry but the prices are in AUD cause i'm based in Brisbane

4th August 2015
Jetstar JQ 5 - Brisbane to Honolulu
AUD $379

7th August 2015
Allegiant Airlines G4 1072 - Honolulu to Los Angles
AUD $281.35

12 August 2015
Norwegian Airlines DY 7084 - Los Angles to Oslo
AUD $381.10

19 August 2015
Norwegian Airlines DY 7201 - Oslo to Bangkok
AUD $309.16

25 August 2015
Jetstar Asia 3K 510 - Bangkok to Singapore
AUD $75

27 August 2015
Scoot Airways TZ 6 - Singapore to Gold Coast
AUD $185

Total Price
$1610.61
I am pretty impressed with these prices. LA to Oslo - $309 AUD. WOW!
Already spending the time and money, why not add a few more stops ?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
The air links are fine (though do research bag charges, as has been pointed out), but the only "cheap" spot you're touching down in is Bangkok. Land costs can easily offset airfare savings on longer trips.

I remember taking a buyout offer at work some 18 years ago with intention to try to make the money last for about a year. Had traveled some before then but still fretted a lot over whether the money would last. Tickets were "free" (FF-mile redemptions), but I had about $60/day for everything else.

So I favored "cheap" countries, especially in SE Asia, for the longer bits and hit Europe and Hawaii only lightly. It was still possible to go to first-world places within that budget then, but it meant things like hostel bunks and having to budget food and intra-city transportation carefully, which didn't seem as much fun. Also, some of the tougher but most memorable places to get to, like the Bandas or the Baliem Valley in Indonesia, could eat time more so than money.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:28 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by RustyC
Also, some of the tougher but most memorable places to get to, like the Bandas or the Baliem Valley in Indonesia, could eat time more so than money.
Which would be good if you're retired

While sadly still working, just got back from HKG, a destination I adore, and even there budget options were available. Actually more budget for accommodation than Tokyo

But even in Tokyo I found a clean place for $60 a night
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:17 am

BTW, why would you ever apologize for listing prices in AUD???
Old Jan 16, 2015, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by textibule
BTW, why would you ever apologize for listing prices in AUD???
Cause I thought there were a lot more americans on this forum then Aussies

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.