Wiki Posts
Search

Buying a car in LA as on overseas tourist

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Buying a car in LA as on overseas tourist

Hello,
We like to buy a car in LA as a tourist to travel for 3 months through the states. It seems this in not so evident and can be a hassle. Insuarence - registration - cardealers etc
Has anybody already done this and share the information.

thX whaleshark
Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Avis First, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, AS
Why would you even want to go through the hassle of this? I'm honestly curious.

I would recommend just getting a rental from one of the big companies. You can get a Chevy Impala sized car for less than $1,000 per month. You're going to spend more than that on a new car, plus taxes, plus insurance, etc.... Then you have to worry about selling it again before you leave. Which in our economy would not be easy. Dealers don't usually take a used car in unless you're buying a new one.

Buying a car just seems like an overall bad idea considering used car prices are through the roof right now.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

USED CAR

Originally Posted by jvick125
Why would you even want to go through the hassle of this? I'm honestly curious.

I would recommend just getting a rental from one of the big companies. You can get a Chevy Impala sized car for less than $1,000 per month. You're going to spend more than that on a new car, plus taxes, plus insurance, etc.... Then you have to worry about selling it again before you leave. Which in our economy would not be easy. Dealers don't usually take a used car in unless you're buying a new one.

Buying a car just seems like an overall bad idea considering used car prices are through the roof right now.
Hello,
We're not looking for a new car, but a used/second hand .
We've done this in many parts inthe world like South Africa, Australia , New Zealand and Chile and never had any big problems. We sold the car after 3 to 4 months mostly for the same price
Renting should costs us more than 3000 us.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
When you rent longer than one month you should look at a lease. You are committed for the whole term of three months but it will end up costing less than a rental.

If I am in a city/area on business longer than one month and need a vehicle daily that is what I did.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:43 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

This will be a big hassle, but it is doable. You will need some sort of US address for insurance and registration purposes. Assuming you have a foreign driver's license, you can obtain insurance (which will be expensive seeing as you have no driving history in the US) and then register the car with the DMV.

My advice is to lease a car, since it is safer and the hassle of buying and selling is not worth it in order to save a couple thousand dollars.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd get a 90 day deal from Enterprise (off airport) for $20 per day and use a CC that offers primary insurance coverage.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:33 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
(off airport)
In America cities don't want to tax their own citizens, so there is an extra tax for cars rented at the airport, hence the comment.

EmailKid
Old Jun 14, 2012, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I'd get a 90 day deal from Enterprise (off airport) for $20 per day and use a CC that offers primary insurance coverage.
Be careful of CC's offered primary insurance on rental. many such insurance has a limit of how many days is covered. (28 days seems to be the norm)
Old Jun 14, 2012, 5:00 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd think you could do this. Yes, it would be some hassle to get auto insurance -- if you get a cheap enough car, all you would need is third party liability -- but that would be the main hassle. Someone would sell a visitor liability insurance, I'd think, but I must admit I never tried.

As an experiment, I filled out an online form for an insurance company called "The General" http://www.thegeneral.com/ listing only that I had an international license and no US license. It generated a reasonably priced policy ($60 to start then about the same each following month) that covers the minimum liability requirements. I didn't go further to see if it would actually issue the policy.

If you bought the car from a dealer (instead of off Craigslist, for example), the dealer would take care of all the registration details for you for a fixed fee set by California, I think it's around $40. And if the car was still running at the end of your stay, you'd have to pay to get a smog certificate to sell it. They would probably also have suggestions on getting insurance. They do want to make the sale!

The main requirement to do all this is that you would need a California mailing address. You could get that through one of those post box places.

I also would not rely on a credit card for primary insurance.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tentseller
Be careful of CC's offered primary insurance on rental. many such insurance has a limit of how many days is covered. (28 days seems to be the norm)
AMEX will sell you cheap coverage for the entire 90 days.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
In America cities don't want to tax their own citizens
LOL. Have you checked the sales tax rate in Chicago?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:14 pm

LOL. Have you checked the sales tax rate in Chicago?
When traveling was part of my work I rented cars in many, many cities across America, including the Windy City (er, Chicago, since OP in not American).

EmailKid
Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When traveling was part of my work I rented cars in many, many cities across America, including the Windy City (er, Chicago, since OP in not American).

EmailKid
So you know v.well that US citizens are taxed to death in ways other than the airport garbage fees @ airports and your generalization above is mis-worded (at best).
Old Jun 15, 2012, 8:18 am

So you know v.well that US citizens are taxed to death in ways other than the airport garbage fees @ airports and your generalization above is mis-worded (at best).
At the risk of a political debate, I do not agree.

Americans are not taxed to death, having lowest rates in the "Western" world.

Hotel and airport taxes are ways for local governments to raise money without burdening local population, hence much lower "off airport" taxes on car rentals.

EmailKid
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Americans are not taxed to death, having lowest rates in the "Western" world.
Let's move this to OMNI/PR.

You will change your tune. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.