Wiki Posts
Search

NYC-Paris

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
NYC-Paris

The airfares for 2012 late spring are out of sight! In 2010 we paid about $775 for JFK-CDG r/t. For 2012, they are about DOUBLE that! Award tix virtually nonexistent, or they are asking for an exorbitant amount of miles.

Only exception is EI with a stop in Dublin for about $850. Any good guesses as to whether the airlines like DL or AF are going to maintain a hard line on these big prices to France for the forseeable future?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 1:44 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
menton1,

since this is a specific Delta / AF question, I am moving the thread there.

I will say that prices went up in 2011, and most likely again for 2012.

And if DL forum is anything like UA forum, I'm sure there's already a "why are prices so high" thread, in which case your post may be merged with that.

EmailKid
Budget Travel moderator
Old Oct 17, 2011, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by menton1
T Award tix virtually nonexistent, or they are asking for an exorbitant amount of miles.
Are you looking on delta.com with the award calendar? Only Delta-operated flights appear using flexible date search, and most of the capacity NYC-CDG is on AF. Try the FlyingBlue award calendar then use specific dates on delta.com to book with DL miles. FB shows every date in April, in both directions, available at 100K miles in Business.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 1:49 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
What date did you go in 2010 and what date are you looking at in 2012?

Sure prices have gone up in two years. And unfortunately no one has a crystal ball to know if the fares are going to stay about at the current level, go up or go down.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Addition of YQ (Int'l Surcharge) ex-USA would increase the price as well...
Old Oct 17, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
For what it's worth, in non peak months JFK/EWR-CDG in AF's premium economy can be a great way to burn a SWU to get into business class. Fares of ~$1500 are possible this fall; haven't checked the spring.

Be careful with booking classes, etc., but when booked through the DL site the W fares are upgradeable.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I think prices are often higher this far out than 30-60 days before your intended departure.

For comparison to the 2010 prices, I flew MSP-CDG in September for $1147 RT, booking just two weeks out. Obviously, that was a late decision; you won't be cutting it that close. But it might be worthwhile to wait longer before booking. You could also check bing.com/travel for predictions about whether prices are likely to rise or fall.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Also note that depending on far out the OP is looking at, Delta usually zeroes out the lowest fare buckets on many flights months in advance, even if very few Y seats have been sold. The lower fare inventory only becomes available later.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:12 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Op has requested a return to Budget Travel Forum.
Happy to do so...
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, TG GLD
Yes I agree with the timing. I've found often when I look one or two months closer, the cheap fares all become available. A trick I use is to check the fare classes available in that month - if nothing then I wait.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:53 am
Original Poster

In the past we've booked about 4-5 months out. 30-60 days is a little too close for comfort for us.

But the fare increase to Europe seems so outrageous! Are fares to other European destinations for next year also so out of sight?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:09 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by menton1
Are fares to other European destinations for next year also so out of sight?
Yes.

Well, with a few exceptions.

EmailKid
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Fare on DL just dropped from $1675 to $1438. Still very high, but a good percentage drop. I wonder if another good price drop is in the works...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.