what to do in Zurich

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what to do in Zurich

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2011, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
what to do in Zurich

My friend and I have a 12 layover in Zurich. We land 1030am and depart 1045pm. We figure that we should spend about 8-9 hours in the city. What are the can't miss attractions? What is the best way to get between airport and city? Also, does anyone know about cost and availability of good kosher food in Zurich?
Trying to spend my 8 hours well.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
My friend and I have a 12 layover in Zurich. We land 1030am and depart 1045pm. We figure that we should spend about 8-9 hours in the city. What are the can't miss attractions? What is the best way to get between airport and city? Also, does anyone know about cost and availability of good kosher food in Zurich?
Trying to spend my 8 hours well.
I had a layover of 6 hours. I took the S-Bahn right downtown from the airport - very easy. I think it was S-2 and S-16 - but check it.

I basically walked around down by the lake on both sides of the river, had some lunch, drank some wine and chilled out. Very nice.

As for sights to see ? No idea.

Cheers,
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:21 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I suggest the lake cruise - very nice.

For Kosher - read the website
Old Jun 20, 2011, 1:23 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
take any train from the airport to Zurich main station (S-Bahn or IC doesn't matter). As per sights, this probably depends on your interests, but for nice views go up to the Polyterrasse (you can either walk there or take the Polybahn from central tramway station, just opposite main train station; you could also take tramway 10 from the airport until ETH, just beside the Polyterrasse), have a stroll in the old city (Niederdorf), walk along the river Limmat up to the lake, Bahnhofstrasse for upscale shopping. Landesmuseum, behind main train station, if you're interested in Swiss history.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
sights

All the big thins I've found were art galleries and designer shopping. Neither interest me. If there's nothing worth going for, I want to know so I could change my ticket before it's too late.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 3:22 pm

Go to Luzern...

As I recall, about one hour each way from the main Zurich train station...
Old Jun 28, 2011, 5:00 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The Kunstmuseum has lots of art works, from the old masters to modern. IMHO, if you are interest in art, don't miss it.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
There is a walking tour from the main station at 3pm I believe. The cost is modest and you will learn something as well.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
If you don't want to go to Luzern I would walk in the old town of Zurich and go over to the shopping District which is Hauptbahnof if I recall correctly.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Nexus
ZürichCARD

You can also buy a 24h ZürichCARD at the airport. For CHF 19 as of 2010 (now CHF 20), it gives you access to (according to the guide I kept):
  • Free rides on the trams, buses, trains and boats. Also valid on the cableways in Zürich. (Note: airport transfer is included. Generally, it costs at least CHF 6 o/w)
  • Free admission to 39 Zürich museums
  • Free welcome drink in 17 restaurants
  • Reductions on souvenirs and tours of Zürich Tourism
  • and much more besides
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:02 am
Original Poster

any more?

Originally Posted by baby_tux
You can also buy a 24h ZürichCARD at the airport. For CHF 19 as of 2010 (now CHF 20), it gives you access to (according to the guide I kept):
  • Free rides on the trams, buses, trains and boats. Also valid on the cableways in Zürich. (Note: airport transfer is included. Generally, it costs at least CHF 6 o/w)
  • Free admission to 39 Zürich museums
  • Free welcome drink in 17 restaurants
  • Reductions on souvenirs and tours of Zürich Tourism
  • and much more besides
Thanks! Where could I buy it? How long is the transportation access good for? Where could I get more info?
Old Jul 10, 2011, 2:38 pm

You can order online

HERE

but in your case i think it´s better to use the
Airport Service Center

... and avoid Chokolate Stores an Cheese Fondue by all means... unless you want to buy new pants afterwards....
Old Jul 10, 2011, 8:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Nexus
Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
How long is the transportation access good for?
24 hours after validating it at the rail station of the airport. Check the first link Sawastro gave you or at the desk at the airport. They will give you hints. In my case I bought it at the rail station because I arrived by train.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:00 am
Original Poster

thanks

Thanks everyone for the info! I will definitely consider a ZurichCard.

Also, what does boat access include? Is it water taxis from point A to point B or doe it also include boat tours of the city and/or surrounding area?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:35 pm

There are a few lines on Zürichsee ( Lake Zurich) which are part of the public transport system
With a bit of planning ahead you can use them for a roundtrip.

When you open the link below, you will find a map of the available lines, but be careful because some of them are leading out of the area of validity.

Zurich Trasportation Map

The llight blue area on the bottom right marks the Zurichsee.
(Sorry for the detour via Google docs , somehow the original link doesn´t work)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.