Search

Air Asia - Carryon Luggage Size Limit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2012, 5:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Ways to get around weight limit at SIN/KUL

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Because that's allowed. Small rollaboard, as long as its within the limits is no problem, and a computer bag instead of a (ladies) handbag is also clearly allowed according to the rules.

I found Air Asia slightly less strict than for example Tiger with their luggage checks, on the other hand, it's still a bit dependant which agent you get, and also how full the flight is. (That's the same, board a 100% full LH flight, you'll experience super strict agents, board the same flight with 40% load and it's free for all..)
Just completed a run from SIN-KUL (LCCT) on Tiger Airways. Really the only time you have issues is at the check-in counter. At SIN, there is staff waiting to pounce on you and weigh your bags if they look like they might be overweight. If you know it will fit in the overhead, just avoid them and walk away toward the entrance doors, and enter the departures area from somewhere else. The airport staff does not care; nor does that gate staff. Once you are past security, you should be home free. Also anything you are carrying they tend not to weigh (laptop bags, large handbags).

Coming back at KUL (LCCT), the check-in agents seem a little more zealous. I was traveling with a friend, so we split up at check-in and kept the offending luggage out of sight with the other keeping an eye while one checked-in. However, there are airport staff at the International terminal entrance to weigh and turn people away. We watched the process for 15-20 minutes while grabbing a bite at the lounge adjacent to the terminal entrance.

Tips to increase your odds of getting through without being stopped:

1) Go through when a crowd is going
2) If you can carry your bag (e.g. a duffel, or a shoulder bag) they won't stop you
3) Go through while they have stopped someone else
4) Walk with conviction and do not hesitate, go straight through as if on a mission

I made it through with a roll-aboard that looked slightly bulgy (it still fits in the overhead bin... barely), that weighed about 18kg. Plus my shoulder bag/computer bag, that probably weighed about 10kg.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by transparent
I made it through with a roll-aboard that looked slightly bulgy (it still fits in the overhead bin... barely), that weighed about 18kg. Plus my shoulder bag/computer bag, that probably weighed about 10kg.
thanks for sharing your experience.. but IMHO, you were very lucky with the above..but ofcourse YMMV.. I have taken overweight carry on too but trying 18 + 10 kg on an LCC is very ambitious and am glad you made it..^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.