Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Budget flights to Vietnam from HKG or MNL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:56 am
Original Poster

I don't know much about the LCCs in Asia, so I thought I would ask here. I am looking to go from either MNL (or elsewhere in the Philippines) or HKG to HAN or other Vietnam destinations.

(I'm in the Philippines right now and need to get to Vietnam. I have a flight from MNL to HKG on the 22nd that I could use if it's cheaper to fly to Vietnam ex-HKG, or I could dump it and come straight from the Philippines)
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
If you fly to Hong Kong, it is usually about US$200 to fly to HCMC on Vietnam Airlines, maybe more booking close in. What do you mean by "dump" the MNL-HKG flight? If you can cash it in, you could fly Air Asia MNL-KUL-SGN/HAN.

The fares vary by date. On 22 Jan, it's US$107 MNL-KUL and US$68 KUL-SGN, US$175 total. You can fly it in one day, there is ample connection time in KUL.

To fly MNL-KUL-HAN requires an overnight in KL and the fare KUL-HAN is US$135, US$212 total. I don't know if you can sleep overnight in the LCC terminal. The KUL-HAN is at 0630.

I would fly Air Asia from Manila to Kuala Lumpur to Saigon.

Last edited by hiyo; Jan 12, 2010 at 8:50 am
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

I don't think there are refunds on my MNL-HKG ticket. It's on Philippines Air so conceivably I could try and change it and apply it to another ticket on that airline, but it was so cheap that it's probably not worth it.

Ebookers has a cut-rate price on a Vietnam Airlines flight from HKG to HAN so I guess I will do that. Otherwise, this Air Asia plan sounds good. I wouldn't mind taking a few days in KL anyway!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 2:54 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Why not just fly Cebu Pacific to Saigon direct from Manila for under $100?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davistev
Why not just fly Cebu Pacific to Saigon direct from Manila for under $100?
Because I didn't know about it! Thanks for a great tip!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:07 am

Cebu Pacific is the most obvious option. They can be a little unreliable, and many people say they have problems with foreign credit cards on their site.

I would also check out Philippine Airlines Econolight fares. You have to specifically choose to search from them from the list of fares available. If you're lucky, you could a PR ticket for the same or less than 5J, and PR is a far better airline.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:56 am

I'm flying Manilla-Saigon with CebuPacific on March 17th-cost$109 cdn
Yippee,my Canadian credit card was accepted this time!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

The flights on Philippine Airlines is $286 US (I'm looking around Jan 22-25th), compared to approx $110 US (also it's weird that they list flights ex-MNL in USD!)

So I think I will go Cebu Pacific. I am waiting today to see if I an go to SGN instead of HAN (am meeting a friend). So if it has to be HAN I guess I will book via ebookers unless there are fares under $200 out there somewhere.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:59 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
www.unitedairlines.com.hk has an ultra-low fare (HK$910, by 31 March 2010) for ex-HKG (homepage, on the rotating offers section). MILEAGE EARNABLE "T" FARE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.