Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Budget | Fastbreak (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

Fullsize in Kailua-Kona - Jan 2008 - what model is likely? Taurus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2007, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Hello all,

My wife and I are travelling to Hawaii this January. For the dates that we will be there, I am seeing an almost unbelievably low rate for a full-sized vehicle ($237 for 9 days - all taxes & fees included). I'm wondering if this is because it's a Ford Taurus? A less desirable car in some people's opinions... Has anyone had any recent experience with renting full-sized vehicles from Budget? Especially in Hawaii?... What might I expect? A Chev Impala? Ford Taurus, Ford Fusion... etc...

Thanks in advance,

Shneebs.

p.s. For anyone interested, I used the Costco discount to get this rate...
Old Dec 16, 2007, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Dec 16, 2007, 7:59 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
No experience with Hawaii rentals, but other US budget locations are using approx 50% Chev Impala or Pontiac Grand Prix, 30% old Taurus and 20% new Taurus (rebadge of the Ford 500 -- and a very desirable rental!).

Rates are almost never influenced by the actual model being rented -- not surprising as it is not guaranteed. A low rate reflects either good negotiation, good luck, or a glut of cars for some reason (sometimes a big convention cuts down on number of cars being rented as all the people have arranged other transportation, sometimes it works the other way).
Old Dec 17, 2007, 2:20 am

last time I was in kona, november of last year, they rented out Nissan Altima's, Chevy impala's, Ford Taurus (older), Pontiac Grand Prix, and Buick LaCrosse. They had quite a bit monte carlo's as well. If memory serves me correct, the Altima's will likely be the the newest cars in kona around that time. They take posession of the altima's in january and turn them back after the summer.

if this location is like most locations (avis or budget), the likelyhood of you getting upgraded to another car increases with the $ amount your paying daily. So if your paying over 45 a day, its possible you may get upgraded to a lincoln town car if they are busy at the time of rental and have absolutely nothing available. The costco code means nothing in the grand scheme, only the $ amount you pay.

In Kona and most hawaii airports, noon is the WORST time to arrive if you want a quick getaway, but the best time for upgrades. Even if you cant get a free upgrade, around that time, you could get a 10 dollar a day full to luxury upgrade almost without question because they are so short of cars, or in january since its just after the christmas rush, you may end up with a minivan for a full size rental. If I were you, i would try and score some free gas cause in Hawaii, gas must be pushing 4 dollars nowadays.

Also they may try downgrading you. E-D or E-C(midsize). Just remember they better give you something in return. if you end up in a midsize, make sure its a malibu, its got the most trunk room of the mid size cars and make sure your paying for a compact rate. if they downgrade you, you pay for the class below what they stuck you in.

Last edited by ezmonee; Dec 17, 2007 at 2:27 am
Old Dec 17, 2007, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Sounds like some pretty solid advice! Thanks very much.

Shneebs.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 2:48 pm

Programs: Hertz Gold 5*, Continental, AK Air
I have been in Lihue since Christmas. I got offered a Pontiac Grand Prix and a Taurus. I asked for the Taurus and they were out. Got a 08 Grand Prix with a sunroof and 1300 miles.

It's horrible and not roomy. Everyone is complaining.

I asked for a luxury upgrade and was willing to pay. They said no.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Since my trip is coming very soon, I decided to call directly to the Budget location in Kona... They told me a full size for them is usually a Chev Impala or a Pontiac Grand Prix. I found a cheaper rate on a mid-sized with National Car Rental, and called them and confirmed that they do have an Emerald Aisle, where they typically carry full sized cars, so I'll probably be going with them instead.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Shneebs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.