Search

Budget Bid-a-car

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 1999, 3:09 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Budget Bid-a-car

Budget to offer car rental bidding online
LISLE, Ill., April 28 (Reuters) - Taking a page from Priceline.com Inc. (PCLN - news), the online service that allows people to bid for airline tickets and other products, Budget Rent a Car Corp. said Wednesday it will offer consumers the chance to bid for car rentals beginning in May.

The world's third largest car and truck rental firm, a unit of Daytona, Fla.-based Budget Group Inc. (BD - news), said it will be the first company to do so.

Consumers going to the company's Web site at http://www.drivebudget.com will be able click on a dedicated icon called BidBudget, fill out a form indicating at which location and dates the car will be picked up and returned, the car type, and the desired price.

Within a day Budget will respond with an e-mail notifying the customer if the bid was accepted.

Budget said Internet bookings are the most cost-efficient means for the company to take reservations.

Budget Group Chairman and Chief Executive Sandy Miller said in a statement that according to research firm Jupiter Communications, total online revenues for consumer and non-managed business travel is expected to reach $11.7 billion in the next three years.

Budget Group shares were up 9/16 at 13-5/16 Wednesday afternoon on the New York Stock Exchange.

Old Jun 15, 1999, 11:59 am
Original Member

Anyone try this? If you make a bid, do you still get FF miles?

Thanks

Matt
Old Aug 5, 1999, 12:12 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Current Consumer Reports Travel Letter gives it only 2 stars out of a possible five. Unlike Priceline it allows users to bid repeatedly on the same reservation, but more importantly it lets you cancel a reservation 48 hours before pickup! No specific comment on miles and points but I belive that you may not get them.

If interested go to www.drivebudget.com
Old Aug 5, 1999, 12:51 pm

I have two reservations with Enterprise. Bid both of them $25/week lower with Budget . . . both rejected.
Old Aug 5, 1999, 1:36 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I tried it on a rental in Boston for kicks ... bid $90 for a two weekend day rental of a Jaguar (pretty much figured I wouldn't get it) or a Lincoln Town Car (figured $45/day for a Lincoln on the weekend wasn't that unreasonable) ... got rejected.

I don't think the deals you can get will be all that great, especially since you can keep bidding, even after you won, plus you can cancel the reservation.

For the "inflexibility" that is inherent in Priceline's stricted rules, I think that translates to a greater liklihood of a low bid being accepted.
Old Aug 10, 1999, 9:13 am
Original Member

Programs: AS 100K
The trick with the bidding is this.

If your bid is too low, you will immediately get a e-mail that your bid is rejected. If you bid close to what is the lowest rate is, you will get an e-mail that your bid is accepted and you will be notified in 24 hrs.

I found this out by trial and error.

Needed a car for OGG during June. Wanted a Ford Ranger. Lowest published rate was $38.00. Also was interest in a Economy car if Ford Ranger not available. Lowest published rate was $32.00.

Put is a bid for $20.00 for either Ford Ranger or Economy car. Got e-mail back immediately that bid was rejected. Put in bid for $25.00 for either car. Got e-mail back immediately that bid was rejected. Put in bid for $30.00 for either car. Got e-mail back that bid was being evaluated and would be notifed in 24 hrs. In 24 hrs was notified that bid was not only accepted but that they could give me a lower price of $29.00 a day. However, notified that first choice of Ford Ranger was not available and would have to take an economy car. After getting rental agreement for economy car and heading out to parking lot saw about 5 Ford Ranger sitting unused. Since, I had last flight into OGG, I doubt they were waiting for another renter.

JayJ
Old Aug 14, 1999, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried it for 3 different trips. For each trip I first got my corp rate, the Travelersadvantage rate and lastly the Costco rate. Took the lowest one, and bid 30% less and was rejected in 1 hr. Ditto for 20% less and 10% less. Then called Budget and they said they had plenty of cars avail at each location.
My conclusion is it is a waste of time to attempt to rent a car by this bid method.
Old Aug 14, 1999, 8:55 am

I agree with MisterNice, I've tried them twice. Gave them fair bids, not trying to 'steal' a rental and both came back rejected.
It is a waste of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.