Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Scratch' on Budget rental and Amex denial

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:40 am
Original Poster

'Scratch' on Budget rental and Amex denial

I rented a Budget car back in September and paid for it with my Amex gold card. Two months later, I received a claim from Budget for the amount of $570 for a scratch on the rear driver's panel which I don't recall happening. I'm careful when I drive and wasn't involved in any scrapes.

I submitted the claim to Amex a couple of days ago and today, I received a denial of the claim. The text of Amex's reply is posted below:

"Although you are a valued Card member, we regrettably must deny the claim you reported on 11/27/2012.

Under the terms and conditions of the American Express Plan, coverage is provided for eligible rental autos when rented under a written agreement from a rental company for no more than 30 consecutive days.

This denial is based upon the information in our possession at this time. If new information becomes available which reveals that your submitted claim should not be denied under the Plan, American Express will reconsider your claim. Any new information should be received within the next 60 days."

The total time of the rental was 5 days and it was rented under a written agreement with Budget which I signed at the time of the vehicle pickup.

My rental agreement appears to be within the terms of Amex's PLAN. Why was the claim denied?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Write back to them stressing that yours was a five day rental, for the dates mm/dd/yyyy through mm/dd/yyyy. Enclose COPIES of your reservation, final bill, and other paperwork.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, rif-raf on most others; MBTA "valued customer"
I'd push back on Budget. Two months to notify you of damage? Have them prove it was you and not some other renter.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 6:02 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by bosnyc
I'd push back on Budget. Two months to notify you of damage? Have them prove it was you and not some other renter.
Exactly! Avis has been known to do the following upon finding damage:
-Send a bill to the last 4-5 people who rented said vehicle
-If you deny the claim in writing, they never contact you again

Not saying that this WILL happen, but they are AvisBudget Group...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.