Search

Chip on windshield (with LDW) question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Chip on windshield (with LDW) question

Hey guys,

I noticed a chip on the windshield (Think star, not crack - saw it from the inside) during a rental from Seattle, WA. Nothing too major, but I'm pretty sure it was there from the beginning.

I have the Budget LDW included in the rate (I couldn't decline). I booked it with my AMEX Gold too which I understand includes 'secondary' insurance - but I couldn't fully decline LDW so I'm not sure if that's "activated" ?

Should I be concerned about this? Thoughts?

Note: My actual rental voucher claims it includes "Unlimited Mileage and Loss Damage Waiver (LDW), Additional Liability, Insurance (ALI), State taxes, State Imposed Surcharges"
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
Hey guys,

I noticed a chip on the windshield (Think star, not crack - saw it from the inside) during a rental from Seattle, WA. Nothing too major, but I'm pretty sure it was there from the beginning.

I have the Budget LDW included in the rate (I couldn't decline). I booked it with my AMEX Gold too which I understand includes 'secondary' insurance - but I couldn't fully decline LDW so I'm not sure if that's "activated" ?

Should I be concerned about this? Thoughts?

Note: My actual rental voucher claims it includes "Unlimited Mileage and Loss Damage Waiver (LDW), Additional Liability, Insurance (ALI), State taxes, State Imposed Surcharges"
If you have LDW included in the rate, I wouldn't worry unless you don't technically qualify for the BCD you used, in which case you may be at risk if their claims department may ask for proof that you qualify and you are unable to provide it.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
No BCD, I just booked through a UK supplier and used my UK license.

I was surprised I didn't get one of those sheets with the outline of the car showing all of the issues with it - but I assume this was because of my full LDW?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: Priority Club, Eurobonus, Hertz Gold, Dollar Express, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat.
You gotta becareful with that stuff...it usually states the roof, glass and under the car is not covered. Never booked with Budget though so their rules may be different but as far as Dollar, Alamo etc.
I usually book with a UK website to book cars as it's usually 25% cheaper than going thru a Norwegian website and in most cases they say...the roof, glass, tyres are not covered but do real the FAQ's of the website you booked with as it should say if you're covered for that or not.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by nordictat2
You gotta becareful with that stuff...it usually states the roof, glass and under the car is not covered. Never booked with Budget though so their rules may be different but as far as Dollar, Alamo etc.
I usually book with a UK website to book cars as it's usually 25% cheaper than going thru a Norwegian website and in most cases they say...the roof, glass, tyres are not covered but do real the FAQ's of the website you booked with as it should say if you're covered for that or not.
Not sure if the prepaid voucher-type sites' T&C override anything, but in the U.S., LDW typically does cover glass, tire, and roof damage. (Roof damage may not be covered if you are discovered strapping things to the roof, though, as that is usually a prohibited use of the car, even if the car has a factory-installed roof rack.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.