Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Q1 2010 Delta 5000 mile/2 day rental

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2010, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, United Silver, Aegean Silver, Avis First
Can you pay with Skymiles

What I was wondering is, if I elect to pay for my budget rental through the skymiles market place. Do I still qualify to earn the 5k bonus miles for the rental.

example: a 2 day rental in pdx is 11274 miles (or ~$112)

If I had paid cash that would earn me 5000 bonus miles plus 100 rental miles

If I can pay with miles the 11274 millage cost would actually only be, 6174

Cant find anything in the T&C's, however, if it's anything like the pay-with-miles option for flight, I wold assume the answer is no.
Old May 16, 2010, 8:47 pm
Suspended

I equate purchasing hotels/car rentals with miles to priceline/hotwire. With priceline/hotwire, I don't believe coupons for bonus miles can be applied, right?
Old May 17, 2010, 7:10 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
I equate purchasing hotels/car rentals with miles to priceline/hotwire. With priceline/hotwire, I don't believe coupons for bonus miles can be applied, right?
When using PL or HW for car rentals I have never had success trying to apply a coupon code.
Old May 17, 2010, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
5,000 continuing to post like clockwork in DL account at each sweep.

There must be a different person in the chair at Budget or DL now.

Last edited by Firewind; May 17, 2010 at 6:34 pm
Old May 17, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: HHonors Dia, PC Plat, DL PM, SPG Gold
Mine posted although after a few weeks

Mine posted after an email to budget who said they had a glitch and have posted my miles to delta and it posted after a few days after that email.

- naroowal
Old May 22, 2010, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by kcool
So, my wife and I went at the end of March to Banff for our 5th anniversary. I decided to rent from Budget at the Calgary Intl Airport to take advantage of the 5,000 mile bonus with Delta. I specifically asked at the counter if they would accept and honor that coupon. I was told yes. I was then told that if I took the car out of Alberta, I would be charged extra per rental day for that privilege. UGH! That should have told me there was a problem. I went on with the transaction.

As I was leaving the car rental building, I walked past the Avis counter and decided to see what they could do for a price. They came in $10 lower than Budget but I wouldn't get the 5,000 Delta SkyMiles. I am President's Club/Avis First but decided that $10 for 5,000 miles was worth it. Avis did not charge a fee to take the car out of the province but they were still higher, so I felt I was getting a good deal. I left with the Budget car.

So, I had not received my miles so I decided to call Budget Customer Service. "They are an independent rental agency and do not honor Delta promos.". That was the reply from Budget CS. No recourse at all! I also got hosed by the Budget counter in Calgary. I told them my flight time, an asked about the best place to get gas near the airport at that time in the morning. They gave me a location. The morning we were headed back to the airport, we left with plenty of time to get there and be way early. There was a wreck on the way so we were delayed. When we got to the gas station, IT WAS CLOSED! At this point we didn't have time to find another one, so we took it in with 3/4 of a tank of gas. We got charged $9 per liter!

So, moral of the story. If the deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Lesson number two - the Budget counter at the Calgary Airport will LIE TO YOU!
Well, that explains why my Delta 5K bonus haven't posted yet for my Budget rental at YYC. I rented car from Budget YYC April 22 thru May 1. I specifically added the coupon code when I reserved it and if YYC was not a valid participant you'd think it would not accept the coupon.

Did you get the zombie woman at the check in / out desk who didn't say two words, couldn't hear her and appeared to hate her job?

I only used Budget because of this promo. How on earth are we to know when a location is not participating? As far as I remember, the deal said all airport locations in Canada and the US... teaches me to remember to print the deal, which I didn't this time... I'm pissed.
Old May 22, 2010, 2:55 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Thanks for the Warning About Budget YYC

Going to Banff for a long Memorial Day weekend and reserved a rental car thru Budget at the YYC airport. Because I didn't provide a credit card for the reservation, I can cancel and go with another agency. If Budget YYC sucks that bad, they aren't worth 5,000 DL miles anyway.
Old May 22, 2010, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by sparksals
I only used Budget because of this promo. How on earth are we to know when a location is not participating? As far as I remember, the deal said all airport locations in Canada and the US... teaches me to remember to print the deal, which I didn't this time... I'm pissed.
That really sucks. Avis/Budget will probably not make the valid locations more transparent. Sometimes I have to wonder if they are only concerned with business and not repeat business. Why else would they set themselves up to be blackballed by frustrated customers.

But in keeping with full disclosure (on my part, obviously not on Budget's part) the ad copy reads "at participating Budget airport locations in the U.S. and Canada."
Old May 22, 2010, 4:07 am

Bowgie, please see my reply in the thread on the 5K Budget promo. I'm sure others following that thread will benefit from what you, kcool, and sparksals discovered about YYC.

For the record I posted the T&C for the Budget promo in that thread at mile marker #226 for those that might need to fight for their miles.
Old May 22, 2010, 7:32 am

Wink

The Delta-Budget promo ends 5/31. Just checked the Delta site...

http://skymilesoffers.delta.com/car_rental_partners.php

and so far, it appears the promo is not being extended...so SQUEEZE in those 2 day rentals between now and end of the month

Originally Posted by Firewind
5,000 continuing to post like clockwork in DL account at each sweep.

There must be a different person in the chair at Budget or DL now.
Old May 22, 2010, 7:49 am

I did print out the terms and conditions. It has that one little word that seals the deal - PARTICIPATING!

You would think that all of them would participate just to get business and then have someone actually come back for repeat business. NoOooo.

I didn't have zombie lady - I had a little short man, who I wish I remembered his name because he said, in reply to my question, "Yes, we will honor the coupon." My gut told me to stick with Avis (I'm an Avis First member, so I rent from them a lot).

Live and learn.
Old May 22, 2010, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by kcool
I did print out the terms and conditions. It has that one little word that seals the deal - PARTICIPATING!

You would think that all of them would participate just to get business and then have someone actually come back for repeat business. NoOooo.

I didn't have zombie lady - I had a little short man, who I wish I remembered his name because he said, in reply to my question, "Yes, we will honor the coupon." My gut told me to stick with Avis (I'm an Avis First member, so I rent from them a lot).

Live and learn.
I specifically asked her to ensure the coupon code was input and accepted and double checked my skymiles number was also included. Both were. If the coupon is not valid at certain locations, it should not work on the reservation. I feel the bait and switch. Will never use Budget again. Ever.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: All of them.... mostly United and Starwood
Originally Posted by randix
The Delta-Budget promo ends 5/31. Just checked the Delta site...

http://skymilesoffers.delta.com/car_rental_partners.php

and so far, it appears the promo is not being extended...so SQUEEZE in those 2 day rentals between now and end of the month
My next rental starts 6/1 or 6/2 - anyone know of anything new starting for June when this promo ends?
Old May 24, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: AC Subhuman (*A silver), NW Barely Alive
I also have an outstanding YYC Budget res missing the 5,000 bonus (and the 150 base, for that matter).

That being said, I've had nothing but good experiences with all the Budget locations in YYC - airport and neighbourhood. The return guys at the airport are great... and the rates at the local locations (no miles, of course) with airport return is often cheaper than cab/parking at YYC.

I was considering fighting for the miles, but perhaps given everyone's experiences, I should just abandon all hope.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:26 am

7.5% ff tax on miles

Had a 2 day rental with budget out of DCA airport may 20th - 22nd, used the pay online feature and was charged 41.74 with taxes. After returning the car was hit with approx $8 fee for tax on ff miles. Is this normal, should this have appeared in the original charges since my skymiles number and bcd code were on there?

Anyone else get this charge, $8 on a $41 rental seems a bit high for a tax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.