Search

Cheating by Budget Brisbane Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP, ANA, KF PPS, GF Blue, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Marriott
Cheating by Budget Brisbane Airport

I would appreciate advice on my situation:

I rented a car from Brisbane Airport: they swiped my credit card although I wanted to pay in cash, but I was told I can opt for cash payment when I return the car.

On returning the car on 1 Jan 10, I paid in cash. I was given what purportedly is a "receipt" (which basically detailed out my rental data, including return date and time, mileage, etc) and my change. The "receipt" states at the bottom that the amount due has been billed to my credit card.

I queried the staff on this, but she claimed that it is their system print-out as my card was swiped: it has already been updated that cash payment has been received. Naively, I took her words for it and rushed for my flight.

I discovered on 14 Jan that my credit card was charged! I immediately called their office, emailed them, send them letters, etc -- with no results up to now... The last they told me was that they are investigating the matter. It has been 6 days now, since I first raised the matter on 14Jan.

If it is an honest mistake, I trust that a simple confirmation with the staff concerned would have resolved this immediately. However, I am now fearing the worst: that I have been cheated!

What can I do in this instance...?

Beforehand, thank you for any advice.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 2:48 am
Original Poster

My worst fears are now confirmed: I just received their email today stating that the staff did not receive any cash payment from me, and they have no reason to doubt her. Essentially, they are insinuating that I am lying to cheat Budget of a few hundred dollars!

I am now preparing to lodge a police report on the matter and concurrently disputing the charges through my Bank.

Whilst I am not sure that the Brisbane police will follow up, given that the amount is not significant, I now deem this a crusade to defend my personal integrity and reputation.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

PS. Just a lesson learnt from this episode: always be on your guard when dealing with Budget!!!! I for one will blacklist them henceforth.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KarlChew
My worst fears are now confirmed: I just received their email today stating that the staff did not receive any cash payment from me, and they have no reason to doubt her. Essentially, they are insinuating that I am lying to cheat Budget of a few hundred dollars!

I am now preparing to lodge a police report on the matter and concurrently disputing the charges through my Bank.
Car Rental companies in many areas of Australia are crooks. Late billing of "damage", late claims that spare tires are missing, etc. are the norm. I've had trouble with this particular Budget location as well - although I am well prepared and usually take digital pictures of the cars prior to leaving with them. I've also had an iPod stolen by staff at the Avis location in Brisbane.

Australia, while it purports to be a first-world country, is woefully short of consumer protections.

You should send your complaint to Tourism Queensland:
http://www.tq.com.au/tqcorp_06/about...ct-us_home.cfm
Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Hi!

Thanks for the advice. I will do so.

I have also written to the Brisbane Police Service, awaiting response...
Old Jan 30, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Australian car rental companies ripoff tourists

Originally Posted by jimmc66
Car Rental companies in many areas of Australia are crooks.
There is a story in today's paper about car rental crooks in Australia.

READ IT HERE

These are typical and continual problems in Australia.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Budget has finally emailed me today to confirm that it is fully refunding the charges to my credit card.

It apologized for the "inconvenience and distress" that this matter has caused me, but it remained silent on admission whether it was an honest mistake by its staff or an attempt by the staff to cheat me.

I have a mind of pursuing this further, but then the empathatic side of me tells me to let it rest...

I will just think twice before using Budget again in the future!
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:26 am

Programs: Credit Cards
Originally Posted by jimmc66

Australia, while it purports to be a first-world country, is woefully short of consumer protections.
Having spend almost a year in Australia I somewhat agree with your claim.

I saw it as more of arrogance than anything else. Businesses feel entitled to charge for things which would be out of the norm in the US or Canada for example. Sadly, locals feel they are obligated to pay to support the businesses. I think there's real lack of competition even though there are plenty of international businesses operating there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.