Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Budget Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

AirAsia Indonesia QZ8501 SUB to SIN reported missing 0724 Sun 28 Dec 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES and SUMMARY
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

As with previous missing plane threads, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Reasonable speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

(For those more interested in conspiracy theories and have access to OMNI, please post here: OMNI: Search launched for missing AirAsia jet bound for Singapore from Indonesia)

5. FlyerTalk complies with international copyright agreements. Please do not post full copyrighted articles; summarize the salient points, cite properly and post links. Entire copyrighted articles will be summarily deleted.

6. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.

QZ8501 Moderator team: JDiver, cblaisd, Moderator2, starflyergold, armagebedar

Please note we have added a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) to the first post in this thread.

N.B. PLEASE do not alter the contents of this moderator note.

=========================================

AirAsia Indonesia has verified QZ8501 has reported missing with 162 aboard. Departed Surabaya, Indonesia 0532 local time, last contact with ATC 0714 local Singapore time / 0614 Western Indonesia Time Sunday, 28 Dec 2014. QZ8501 was due to arrive SIN 0837 local time.

Surabaya, East Java, Indonesia is on Western Indonesia Time (WIB), UTC +7.

Originally Posted by AirAsia Indonesia FaceBook page

AirAsia Indonesia regrets to confirm that flight QZ8501 from Surabaya to Singapore has lost contact with air traffic control at 07:24 (Surabaya LT) this morning. The flight took off from Juanda International Airport in Surabaya at 0535 hours.

Search and rescue operations are being conducted under the guidance of The Indonesia of Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). AirAsia Indonesia is cooperating fully and assisting the investigation in every possible way.

The aircraft was on the submitted flight plan route and was requesting deviation due to en route weather before communication with the aircraft was lost while it was still under the control of the Indonesian Air Traffic Control (ATC).

The aircraft had undergone its last scheduled maintenance on 16 November 2014.

AirAsia has established an Emergency Call Centre that is available for family or friends of those who may have been on board the aircraft. The number is: +622129850801.
Originally Posted by gpeso8
I'm in Indonesia right now and local TV is reporting that an emergency exit door was located they are also showing a body in the water (blurred out).
Originally Posted by BBC 30 Dec 2014
Indonesian officials have confirmed that bodies and debris found in the Java Sea off Borneo are from AirAsia flight QZ8501 that went missing on Sunday, a statement by AirAsia says.

The AirAsia statement said the remains were found in the Karimata Strait, south-west of Pangkalan Bun in the Borneo province of Central Kalimantan.
Originally Posted by Aviation Herald
On Dec 31st 2014 the chairman of Indonesia's Search and Rescue Service stated in an evening press conference, that earlier reports about the fuselage having been located have been incorrect, the search is still ongoing, so far - referring to a report by CNN hitting global headlines - there are no sonar images of the fuselage as well. Correcting other media reports the chairman stressed that none of the bodies recovered so far was wearing a life vest. All valid information concerning QZ-8501 only and only comes from one source, namely the Search and Rescue Service which is currently in charge of the entire operation, the chairman stated with reference to the current information chaos.
AirAsia company profile: http://www.airasia.com/my/en/about-u...e-profile.page

AirAsia updates on QZ8501 http://qz8501.airasia.com/index.html

Aviation Herald: http://avherald.com/h?article=47f6abc7

BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-30620647

Please do not post speculation or unconfirmed information in this wiki or thread.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:31 am

Programs: SQ, GA, AA
RIP . My condolescene to the victims and their families as well. One consolation is that they seem to have found the wreckage within 48 hours after the plane went down.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:32 am

New York times just post that bodies were found by the SAR team... RIP for the passengers of the flight. Very sad news!

Last edited by LoungeBum; Dec 30, 2014 at 1:34 am Reason: Wrong source cited
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Channel News Asia is reporting confirmation the lost plane has been found.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...a/1557970.html
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:09 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
As there are some truly distressing images emerging from the scene please be reminded to refrain from posting these or linking to them in line with the moderator guidelines.
3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Reasonable speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.
starflyergold
QZ8501 moderator team
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:36 am

The raw footage of the bodies is heartbreaking
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:40 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MAZ199
The raw footage of the bodies is heartbreaking
It is. I hope they manage to find every single one who was on board.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:04 am

According to Indonesian officials, debris in sea '95% likely' from AirAsia Flight QZ8501:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/12/30/wo...html?hpt=hp_t1
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:06 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Chanel news Asia reporting that more than 40 bodies have been recovered.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Are the grieving relative and friends given any form of psychological counselling? I would imagine they would need it now more than ever, but the news don't seen to report on that much.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by weero
That is just outright slanderous language. AC 190 isn't even a thing" as the rudder has not been damaged despite the horrible wrongdoing of the pilot.

To blame the most reliable shorthaul workhorse on the plane to be 'susceptible' to a failure mechanism is suggestive language that it actually has happened. A few times.

Also, the NTSB article addresses purely wake turbulence, not weather. And it requires pilot errors .. A320 design flaws are at the very bottom of the list of probable causes.
Actually, in their investigation into the AC 190 incident, the TSB concluded that

Originally Posted by TSB
The rear vertical stabilizer attachment fitting was subjected to loads of 129 per cent of limit load, and the rear fuselage fitting, 121 per cent of limit load.
From the same report:

Originally Posted by TSB
When startled by a sudden unexpected event, a pilot is susceptible to delayed reactions, which are based on previous training and experience. This may lead to making inappropriate control inputs for the conditions at hand.
Pilots "overflying" the rudder is a valid discussion of the Airbus tailplane design. At design maneuvering speed (Va), the pilot should be to engage in full deflection of the flight controls without exceeding the design limit load of the airframe. On many Airbus aircraft repeated rudder input, even below the limits of the rudder, can put side loads on the tailplane beyond it's maneuvering limit. The impulse to apply rudder input during an unexpected roll is as natural and ingrained as flinging out a hand when you fall. As noted in the AC190 report:

Originally Posted by TSB
...[T]raining may not have focused on uncommanded rolls and inappropriate rudder inputs sufficiently to suppress a pilot's reactions to use full, alternating rudder pedal inputs.
As far as on board weather radar is concerned, it is primarily used as a situational awareness tool and not as a tool for flying blind. That is to say, you might well use it to ask for a deviation because the clouds ahead look scary, but it would not be SOP to attempt to actually "fly" through the apparent returns on the radar instead of looking outside.

Originally Posted by FlyWorld
...[T]he A320 has problems with pitot tubes and is susceptible to stalling when operating characteristics are not properly managed and that it's particularly vulnerable to icing in thunderstorms...
AF 447 which crashed in part due to blocked pitot tubes was an A330, not an A320, although the concern about blocked pitot tubes is a valid one. After AF 447, however, the newer A330 pitot tubes became mandatory. I cannot find an actual AD related to this, but I'm sure Airbus considered pitot tube blockages on it's other aircraft very carefully.

There is no particular indication that A320s have a susceptibility to icing. Indeed the only A320 hull loss in which it was even a factor was G1 888, and in that case it was an AOA sensor that was frozen, but due to water sprayed in from a hose on the ground.

Even if the pilots of QZ8501 had encountered severe turbulence, there's always the 180 -- just turn around and head back from whence you came. Furthermore, if they had encountered persistent severe turbulence and not just some bumps, we would probably expect to see a slower airspeed. Although I don't have an A320 FCOM, from some notes I found online, it appears that Va would be about ~283 knots [edit: calibrated airspeed] for their altitude, while the last flightradar24 return has them at 469 knots [edit: true airspeed, equal to about 295 knots calibrated airspeed]. It seems likely that with turbulence severe enough to cause an inflight breakup, they would have pulled the speed way back.

As I said up-thread, there's no compelling anecdotal evidence to really speculate on at this point. Given that there was adverse weather, of course it will have been a factor in the planning an execution of the flight, but there's no indication that it caused an accident.

Last edited by WhIteSidE; Dec 30, 2014 at 11:41 am Reason: Corrected Knots <> KCAS, made a note about KTAS vs KCAS
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:11 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by WindowSeat123
Are the grieving relative and friends given any form of psychological counselling? I would imagine they would need it now more than ever, but the news don't seen to report on that much.
This is standard operating procedure for all major airlines. A crisis plan which includes counselling and support services, away from the public eye, is as far as I know in place. I also understand that AirAsia cooperates with the respective airports in providing professional support.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:21 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WindowSeat123
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
I would assume they are. Nevertheless, it seems that the family members broke down when they saw the footage of the first body on TV - and that's where they got the confirmation from - not from the officials there.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:29 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
Even if the pilots of QZ8501 had encountered severe turbulence, there's always the 180 -- just turn around and head back from whence you came. Furthermore, if they had encountered persistent severe turbulence and not just some bumps, we would probably expect to see a slower airspeed. Although I don't have an A320 FCOM, from some notes I found online, it appears that Va would be about 300 knots for their altitude, while the last flightradar24 return has them at 469 knots. It seems likely that with turbulence severe enough to cause an inflight breakup, they would have pulled the speed way back.
That's just about the last thing any pilot would do. After hitting severe turbulances (and severe enough to the point where the aircraft may be endangered - which in itself is unlikely), you most definitely would not want to turn around and fly through the same patch of air again. And you most certainly would not pull the speed way back - you'll just fall out of the sky that way.

Also, it appears that debries are not spread over a large area. This would suggest that the aircraft did not break up inflight, but more likely to have been intact at the point of impact.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
This is standard operating procedure for all major airlines. A crisis plan which includes counselling and support services, away from the public eye, is as far as I know in place. I also understand that AirAsia cooperates with the respective airports in providing professional support.
Thanks for the clarification. Glad to know such services are provided, since we are talking about non-Western countries, I cannot assume such service would automatically be available.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:36 am

From aviation herald:

On Dec 30th 2014 Indonesia's Search and Rescue Services reported, that they have located the wreckage of the fuselage at the floor of the Java Sea, about 97-100nm southwest of Pangkalan Bun. The aircraft is broken up into several large parts but well recognizeable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.