Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Any considerations if I want to extend my layover?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

I am flying from Phoenix, AZ to Bangalore, India on Oct. 1st on BA which stops off in London (same plane whole way, with just a 1 hr. layover in London). On the way back on Oct. 10th (same route), I want to stay longer in London to take some vacation.

My office says I can do this, but if there is a fare difference I need to pay it. Any suggestions on making sure I don't have any fare difference? I told them I would like to stay until the 14th at least, if not longer. I said I'd take whatever gets me an equal fare.

Any suggestions? Do certain days tend to be cheaper fares than others?

Any issues I need to consider here?
Old Sep 17, 2009, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
You don't say what sort of fare your ticket is based on so nobody can give you a meaningful answer. You existing fare may - if very restricted - not even permit stopovers (i.e. layovers of more than 24 hrs) at all and then you would need a new ticket for the leg back to the US. That is imprbable if you are in F.

On any view if you extend your stopover you will end up having to pay UK departure tax which you do not currently have to pay. Can't remember the precise amounts but it is something like GBP 80 in F. There amy also be some additional 'charges' of similar amounts.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I believe (although not 100% sure this is valid for all O&Ds) that in F stopovers are free. In J there is a charge for stopovers on all fares and then in Y some fares do not allow stopovers, meaning that if you want to have a stopover you have to upsell to a higher fare in the same cabin.

Of course you will also be bound by inventory availability. For example, if availability is C C C C for each on the days your office wants to go they will pay for a C fare but if availability is C C C J for the dates you want the fare will be C+J on half return basis and you will have to pay a fare difference in addition to the stopover fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.