Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Best lounge - Paris, brussels or Amsterdam?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Trying to plan a wee away trip to try out CE using my miles and wondering which of the close airports has the best lounge for me to abuse?
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
In CDG, the lounge is the American Airlines Admirals Club, details (and pictures) of which are in my recent trip report; http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...aris-back.html.

The AMS lounge is an old style BA Terraces lounge, and there is a new style BA Galleries Club in BRU. I haven't personally visited these lounges.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
I haven't been to CDG (thank God) since the move - they now use an AA Admirals Club. But, errm, it's an Admirals Club. So unless it's somehow magically the best one in the world, BRU without a doubt IMHO. More to the point, if you want booze to abuse, a selection of Belgian beers is surely a big tick!
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:01 pm

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Having experienced them all I can say

Amsterdam = sh!thole of a lounge and overcrowded
Paris v= dump
Brussels = Very nice and in fact an early concept of the new Galleries.

Food is OK in the BRU lounge also but the sandwiches seem to go stale very quickly, the beer is good.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CT-UK
Paris v= dump
Was that before or after the move from T2B to T2A? The Air France lounge in 2B was indeed a dump, but I found the AA Admirals Club in 2A to be quite pleasant (disregarding the lack of food or any alcohol...).
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:06 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
I haven't been to CDG (thank God) since the move - they now use an AA Admirals Club. But, errm, it's an Admirals Club. So unless it's somehow magically the best one in the world, BRU without a doubt IMHO. More to the point, if you want booze to abuse, a selection of Belgian beers is surely a big tick!
The AA club in CDG is nice looking and relaxing. On the other hand, the potato chips available for everyone is the amount of chips you had available in one bag (out of the hundred bags or so available) in the former 2B lounge ... The newspaper and magazine selection was dismal when I passed through it after the BA move, unless I missed something. The selection of alcoholic beverages was simply dreadful.

Last edited by JOUY31; Jun 25, 2009 at 2:22 pm
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

THanks everyone. Looks like Brussels for me!
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:12 pm

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by Genius1
Was that before or after the move from T2B to T2A? The Air France lounge in 2B was indeed a dump, but I found the AA Admirals Club in 2A to be quite pleasant (disregarding the lack of food or any alcohol...).

Both, and I would say that AA lounge still falls in to that category. Even the BA lounge back in the day was a dark dungeon.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CT-UK
Both, and I would say that AA lounge still falls in to that category. Even the BA lounge back in the day was a dark dungeon.
With the world's slowest lift (even slower than LGW, which is saying something!) or am I remembering some other (crap) lounge?
Old Jun 25, 2009, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
With the world's slowest lift (even slower than LGW, which is saying something!) or am I remembering some other (crap) lounge?
Yes, I believe. It was at the end of some satellite and you turned right, IIRC towards the lounge, down the lift/stairs and into this large square windowless room. Good to have a drinks on a Friday evening with many, many others.

I have been to all three, although only CDG and BRU this year.

Whilst the AA lounge at CDG is an improvement on the AF shared lounge (and I was pleased that I managed to talk my way into the CX lounge for food and champagne!), I think the BRU lounge is the best of the three, for the reasons mentioned above and free PCs, although the WC is down the corridor (as in AMS).

AMS has poor food, no PCs or you have to pay, little food and not great drinks selection.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, various other pittances
Maybe it's just me but please tell me that the lounge is not the only criteria you have when deciding where to go?

Each city has it's own charms and personally I would head for Amsterdam. View the lounge as a bonus I would say...
Old Jun 25, 2009, 2:26 pm

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
You may be thinking of FRA. The lift is tiny so when they announce boarding you need to be there first! To get 6 PAX in there requires some v intimate contact!
Old Jun 25, 2009, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, I remember FRA's too - that one is still there!
Old Jun 25, 2009, 2:42 pm

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
No, I remember FRA's too - that one is still there!
Tell me! I used it yesterday and to add insult to injury we left from gate D2 (cf T5 gate 10). So a hike from one end of T2 to halfway. Also to compound matters there was a China Air flight going through the same security check point!

Got on board and the captain came out of the cockpit and grabbed the PA! Oh sh*t I thought. Last time that happened it was BA38 nearly landing at LHR.

Anyway it was to tell us of a 75 min delay before startup due to a light breeze from the NE meaning that the N-S takeoff runway was U/S!
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:54 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, BMI Diamond Club Silver, Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Yes, I believe. It was at the end of some satellite and you turned right, IIRC towards the lounge, down the lift/stairs and into this large square windowless room. Good to have a drinks on a Friday evening with many, many others.

I have been to all three, although only CDG and BRU this year.

Whilst the AA lounge at CDG is an improvement on the AF shared lounge (and I was pleased that I managed to talk my way into the CX lounge for food and champagne!), I think the BRU lounge is the best of the three, for the reasons mentioned above and free PCs, although the WC is down the corridor (as in AMS).

AMS has poor food, no PCs or you have to pay, little food and not great drinks selection.
AMS does actually have PC's (two if I remember correctly) as well as free WiFi. And don't forget the cup-a-soup selection...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.