Wiki Posts
Search

Big thumbs up for the Concorde Room.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Big thumbs up for the Concorde Room.

Having experienced the Qantas F lounge in SYD last week it was my first experience of the T5 CCR the other day.
After a smooth F check-in we were brought back down to earth with the BAA security scrum - the poor lady in front of me - also a F passenger was devastated after dropping her laptop with a loud crash to the floor trying to juggle her belongings after getting them out of the tray. I advised her to ask for compensation from BAA if the damage was terminal citing the lack of space to repack stuff after going through the check.

Onward we went through the famous short cut door and were soon invited to dine in the quiet dining room. What followed was one of the most pleasant dining experiences I have ever had and IMO bettered the dining experience we had in the QF lounge the previous week, even the wife was full of praise and that's saying something so fussy that she is when it comes to food.
The meal was absolutely delicious, well presented and the staff very attentive.I had the Tapas platter to start with then the Farmhouse Chicken and Tarragon pie and a wonderful treacle tart and ice cream for dessert. Must say the whole T5 CCR visit was a vast improvement on my previous T4 CCR which was most underwhelming to say the least.
After two recent poor F flights I wasn't really looking forward to my flight to HKG I have to say. I needn't have worried this flight was just fantastic with a super crew, from the Scottish female CSD who went round everyone in the F cabin to introduce herself and have a chat with to the F cabin crew who couldn't do enough for us throughout the flight especially the female member........she was really special.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:25 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Great! I've never used the dining area in the CR - always seems to be a morning flight, so bacon rolls and eggs have been favourite.

Got an F flight to Dubai next month, so I'll try out the dining room.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:58 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Great to read the positive comments about the CCR and that you had a good flight, also.

Interesting that you were able to compare the CCR with the F lounge at SYD, with very little time in between. I have certainly enjoyed both facilities!
Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by HIDDY

Onward we went through the famous short cut door and were soon invited to dine in the quiet dining room.
I'm taking my first BA F trip in few weeks and wondering what this famous short cut often referred to is?
Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:55 pm

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I'm taking my first BA F trip in few weeks and wondering what this famous short cut often referred to is?
If you know the secret hand shake, we'll tell you.

Seriously, after passing through T5 South Security, you'll see a person in BA uniform guarding a door to the right, this is the 'short cut' to the CCR.

bjorns
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:50 am

Programs: qantas
Hiddy

If the Scottish Female CSD had grey eyes, she is the same CSD that did such a marvellous job on my London - Narita F flight last year. A Fantastic flight and it did put Qantas a clear second.

cheers
Old Jun 19, 2009, 6:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Interesting that you were able to compare the CCR with the F lounge at SYD, with very little time in between. I have certainly enjoyed both facilities!
In the SYD F lounge on the 9th and the CCR on the 17th. Don't get me wrong the QF lounge was very good. I also sampled the business lounge a few days previously. I would definitely say the BA LHR T5 lounges are on the whole superior.

Originally Posted by Allane
Hiddy

If the Scottish Female CSD had grey eyes,
Brunette with brown eyes IIRC.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by bjorns
If you know the secret hand shake, we'll tell you.

Seriously, after passing through T5 South Security, you'll see a person in BA uniform guarding a door to the right, this is the 'short cut' to the CCR.

bjorns
Many thanks.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 6:45 am

Programs: BA LT Gold, HH Diamond
In the SYD F lounge on the 9th and the CCR on the 17th. Don't get me wrong the QF lounge was very good. I also sampled the business lounge a few days previously. I would definitely say the BA LHR T5 lounges are on the whole superior.
I should start off by agreeing that the CCR is good and to my mind nicer than the QF F lounge in Sydney. However, this isn't a strictly fair comparison though as any oik with a Gold can use the QF F lounge (I know, I do ), whereas CCR is a bit more restricted..... And as for the T5 F lounge being better than Sydney F - well let's just say I am still waiting (and most likely will be until hell freezes over) for staff at T5 to ask my name on the first refill of bubbly and make a note of it and then continue to address me by name as they return, bottle in hand, to keep my glass topped up. Or even for there to be anyone to wander round topping me up. T5 F is nice, very nice, but at least from a service point of view not really in the same league as Sydney... for me.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Yes after passing South Security look to your right and you should see the following sign http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6849/dsc00478.jpg

Saves you walking through the Shopping Centre they call Heathrow Terminal 5
Old Jun 19, 2009, 7:53 am

Programs: BA gold
Thumbs up

Cheers HIDDY - it makes a nice change to read about a factual and positive report amidst all the speculation and gloom here lately.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:26 am

In the SYD F lounge on the 9th and the CCR on the 17th.
IIRC, your TG F flight from BKK-FRA should be coming up soon.

Let's hope it's as good as the BA flight.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:01 am

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa
Could Pucci have a Scottish accent.....

.... from the Scottish female CSD who went round everyone in the F cabin to introduce herself and have a chat with to the F cabin crew who couldn't do enough for us throughout the flight especially the female member........she was really special. [/QUOTE]

You don't think that without realising it, you met the ever elusive Pucci Galore do you......
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Some say that the Concorde Room is simply a glorified waiting room, but it will always have an air of magic about it for me...
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:47 am

Programs: AS , AA, Hilton, Hyatt, Kimpton, Hertz
I have never had an opportunity to try the Qantas F lounge in Sydney, but have been to the Pier/Wing in F in HKG as well as the Thai F lounge in BKK. I think the T5 CR compares well with both of these (althought the total ground services TG F experience is something else).

It is just a matter of personal preference but the modern open feel of the CR is the best of the three.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.