Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How do I know if a particular 777 flight has AVOD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA

Checked the sticky but all I find is
Sadly, it is pot-luck as to which type of plane you will generally get.
Particularly interested in BA169 to Shanghai tomorrow.

Thanks
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:55 am

Sadly the earliest you can tell is when you are sitting in your seat and can tell for yourself. There are no advanced warnings as to whether a 777 flight will have AVOD or not.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 12:01 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Alas, you've asked too late to try to infer from seatmaps on EF

Given it's a 4-class, though, 27 of the 28 possible airframes have been converted to NGCW - but unless you can tell us how many F seats it has, little other chance of finding out before you fly.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm flying on BA 182 (JFK-LHR) on May 24th, and a quick look on EF shows that there are 17 seats in F. Does this bode well for me or am I do have the misfortune of having the Old CW/No AVOD?

DSK7
Old Apr 23, 2009, 12:49 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
As per post 2 of the NCW thread, that's guaranteed to have NGCW but no AVOD/small IFE screens.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for the quick reply Teece
Old Apr 23, 2009, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL
To the OP: it is not guaranteed but there is a good chance that you will have AVOD. BA169 is always operated by a GYMM* 4-class aircraft. Only one of them remains to be refitted (and they have AVOD when done), GYMMO, which is currently on the way back from SYD (arrives tomorrow morning). It has operated BA169 two times out of fifteen thus far this month, up to April 20th.

Good luck!
Old Apr 23, 2009, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA
Thanks for the replies. Since the SYD flights are at T4 not T5 I guess I'm pretty much guaranteed AVOD.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by potfish
Thanks for the replies. Since the SYD flights are at T4 not T5 I guess I'm pretty much guaranteed AVOD.
I don't see that the SYD flight arriving at T4 has any impact on where it will depart from otherwise that aeroplane would be pretty much stuck on doing LHR-SYD-LHR permanently

Dave
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:44 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by Teece
As per post 2 of the NCW thread, that's guaranteed to have NGCW but no AVOD/small IFE screens.
A bit OT. but I just flew back fromm SYD on the QF A380 in J. The system is awesome. Select TV, then say Comedy, then say Fawlty Towers, and you wonder which episode it will be - then you realise - you get every episode of both series! Same with Dr Who, Kath&Kim, Little Britain, Mash, etc. Maybe not every episode for some of those, but enough to keep you going for hours. Select movies, and you can choose from various categories including every best film Oscar winner going back to the 60s. And the screen is a good size (maybe 30 cm??) and it perfomed faultlessly all the way. If you are not a good sleeper and AVOD is important to you then that could be a deciding factor for flights to Oz in future.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 4:58 pm

How do I find out what code number my flight is to see if AVOD is available? Flying SYD-LHR on Sept 1st...

Originally Posted by Teece View Post
Old Aug 8, 2009, 8:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
As others have pointed out, BA169/168 usually seem to have AVOD 777's these days. No moans about this from any of the British expats I know here since the start of this year.

You do know that you're basically flying into the leftovers of a typhoon, don't you? It's VERY wet here and set to get even hotter and more humid as the week goes on...
Old Aug 8, 2009, 8:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TonyCorcoran
How do I find out what code number my flight is to see if AVOD is available? Flying SYD-LHR on Sept 1st...

You may be able to find out the day before, once your plane has left LHR en route for SYD, but the main website that offers this information publicly (www.lhr-lhw.co.uk ) only gets updated a few days after the flight leaves LHR, so probably too late for you.

To be honest unless you have a fully flexible ticket I wouldn't get too bothered about this. You are not going to be able to call BA to change the plane, and you also have a 27 out of 28 chance of getting AVOD, so the risk is pretty low.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by TonyCorcoran

Your flight will have AVOD, all 4 class RR engine 777's based at LHR have been converted.
CIHY
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:34 am

Programs: AC Elite
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Your flight will have AVOD, all 4 class RR engine 777's based at LHR have been converted.
CIHY
Not BA93 from LHR to YYZ yesterday, no AVOD although it was a 4-class fitted 777....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.