Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Newbie question on BA Shareholder discount - can anyone help?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie question on BA Shareholder discount - can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2009, 10:31 am
pb3
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Blue - How the once mighty have fallen
Question Newbie question on BA Shareholder discount - can anyone help?

Hi Folks,

I'm after clarification on how I become eligible for the BA Shareholder discount.

Unfortunately I already know that I do not qualify for this year as I purchased my shares on November 27th 2008.

I've read through the ultimate BA guide, but I'm still somewhat confused.

I purchased 721 shares using an online dealer - The Share centre. The shares are shown in my online account. Depressing viewing as the price has fallen since

My question: Do I need to do anything to receive the Shareholder and discount reference numbers next year? The ultimate BA guide mentions that the shares have to be entered on the "Share Register". Is this automatic or is this something I have to arrange? If so how do I go about this.

Sorry if my questions are noobish. I'm new to share dealing in general and I only discovered the shareholder discount after browsing the board.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 10:38 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
Originally Posted by pb3
Hi Folks,

I'm after clarification on how I become eligible for the BA Shareholder discount.

Unfortunately I already know that I do not qualify for this year as I purchased my shares on November 27th 2008.

I've read through the ultimate BA guide, but I'm still somewhat confused.

I purchased 721 shares using an online dealer - The Share centre. The shares are shown in my online account. Depressing viewing as the price has fallen since

My question: Do I need to do anything to receive the Shareholder and discount reference numbers next year? The ultimate BA guide mentions that the shares have to be entered on the "Share Register". Is this automatic or is this something I have to arrange? If so how do I go about this.

Sorry if my questions are noobish. I'm new to share dealing in general and I only discovered the shareholder discount after browsing the board.
If the shares are held in the name of a 'Nominee', then you need to get your broker to inform BA that you own 200 or more shares.

This should be done after the cut off date, usually sometime in November.

bjorns
Old Feb 27, 2009, 10:49 am

I used The Share Centre and just after the magic date in November last year I contacted using their online 'contact us' form and requested they contact BA so I could get the discount.

My discount letter duly arrived from BA in the same timescales as others on this board.

So - sit tight and wait for November!
Old Feb 27, 2009, 12:36 pm
pb3
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Blue - How the once mighty have fallen
Originally Posted by matthewuk
I used The Share Centre and just after the magic date in November last year I contacted using their online 'contact us' form and requested they contact BA so I could get the discount.

My discount letter duly arrived from BA in the same timescales as others on this board.

So - sit tight and wait for November!
Thanks for the replies guys.

If i'd only bought my shares a month or so earlier - ah well I wasn't to know at the time

I'll get in touch with the Share Centre.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 3:02 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
I bought 1000 and then sold 800 at a better price so getting the 200 for "free" you may be able to do the same thing if prices go up at some point, its not really worth hanging in there for the dividend just keep the min.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.