Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

December traffic stats - 12.1% fall in premium traffic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2009, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Out now - cargo down 14%

Originally Posted by BA
Summary of the headline figures

In December 2008, passenger capacity, measured in Available Seat Kilometres, was 3.0 per cent below December 2007. Traffic, measured in Revenue Passenger Kilometres, fell by 3.4 per cent. This resulted in a passenger load factor decrease of 0.2 points versus last year, to 76.7 per cent. Traffic comprised a 12.1 per cent decrease in premium traffic and a 1.7 per cent fall in non-premium traffic.

Cargo, measured in Cargo Tonne Kilometres, fell by 14.3 per cent.
Looks like the back end of the bus is holding up reasonably ok - but given BA's model, that premium traffic fall is going to hurt...
Old Jan 6, 2009, 7:57 am

Programs: klm/AF gold,BA gold
hurting

I can still fly in the middle of the bus either in WTP or CW, but and it is a big but if, i can get an equivalent seat with another carrier at half of the price, with perhaps a little inconvenience, guess where the company wants me to sit?
I am having fish to Japan with finnair this month, which is not that bad. BA needs to sit up and take notice. Thats 360 TP as well!
Old Jan 6, 2009, 9:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cracklehillhogg
I can still fly in the middle of the bus either in WTP or CW, but and it is a big but if, i can get an equivalent seat with another carrier at half of the price, with perhaps a little inconvenience, guess where the company wants me to sit?
I am having fish to Japan with finnair this month, which is not that bad. BA needs to sit up and take notice. Thats 360 TP as well!
have you tried booking seats between hkg and lhr they are booked out months in advance
Old Jan 6, 2009, 9:38 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
Interesting to note that Asia/Pacific was the hardest hit region with a drop of about 12% in loads and revenue passanger carried.

You may still have ahead bookings but it seems that some regions traffic is nosediving, notably North America and Asia/Pacific. The fall in cargo traffic is also worrisome therefore BA should plan more carefully where to deploy the B747s.

Rgs,
Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:02 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Quite shocking to see premium travel traffic is dropping while BA executives keep on claiming that it has not been effected much.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by LH/LX
Quite shocking to see premium travel traffic is dropping while BA executives keep on claiming that it has not been effected much.
It could be BA are talking about revenues not numbers of occupied seats. There are a lot of scenarios where the revenue won't drop off as fast as the passenger numbers. Of course it may just be their duck impressions - hopefully they will be paddling like crazy under the surface if that's the case.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:21 am
Original Poster

We should know come 6th February - Q3 results day....
Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by cracklehillhogg
In general indirect Business Class flights ought to always be cheaper than non-stops - why else would you bother? I'm sure BA are aware of that, and indeed they typically undercut AF & LH on flights from Europe <-> the US for exactly that reason.

What I'm puzzled about is what you think BA ought to do? I'd hazard a guess that they're barely breaking even at present. How high would they have to get the CW load factor if they cut the prices by, say, 25%? Would they achieve more total revenue and be more profitable overall? For that matter how can the AY price be sustainable? Surely their total costs have to be higher for indirect routes?

Yes, the next year or two are going to be tough but I hope BA can get through this without suicidal discounting and without feeling even more pressure to race to the bottom.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:28 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/120 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.1)

Originally Posted by hardiwv
Interesting to note that Asia/Pacific was the hardest hit region with a drop of about 12% in loads and revenue passanger carried.

You may still have ahead bookings but it seems that some regions traffic is nosediving, notably North America and Asia/Pacific. The fall in cargo traffic is also worrisome therefore BA should plan more carefully where to deploy the B747s.

Rgs,
BA has already taken 3 747s out of service and the new 777s arriving this year will be used as replacements, rather than for growth as had originally been planned. One HKG route is going down to a 777.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:30 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/120 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.1)

Originally Posted by LH/LX
Are they? Everything I have seen from Martin Broughton and WW has been unambigously negative, describing this as "the bleakest trading environment the industry has ever faced".
Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:00 am

Programs: UA MP Premier, SPG Gold, BA Silver wanabee
Originally Posted by bernardd
How high would they have to get the CW load factor if they cut the prices by, say, 25%? Would they achieve more total revenue and be more profitable overall?

Yes, the next year or two are going to be tough but I hope BA can get through this without suicidal discounting and without feeling even more pressure to race to the bottom.
I guess exactly that is driving the strategic direction they have chosen.

What makes more money: fewer people paying more or more people paying less?

They've done the math and - possibly learning from recent past history - worked out that the former strategy works better for them
Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In general indirect Business Class flights ought to always be cheaper than non-stops - why else would you bother? I'm sure BA are aware of that
Are they? To me, it looks like it's taking them a little while to understand that MAN/EDI/GLA/NCL-LON-XXX isn't direct (that said, other airlines also do that in their home markets, but they tend to have more balanced business models both regarding route mix and in terms of reliance on premium/nonpremium).

What I'm puzzled about is what you think BA ought to do?
They should start by looking at what the other big players do- like for example having a strategy that doesn't depend so heavily on one set of routes (North America) and one (out of the four they've got!) class of service (CW).

Would they achieve more total revenue and be more profitable overall? For that matter how can the AY price be sustainable? Surely their total costs have to be higher for indirect routes?
As you implied in the first sentence OF THE SAME POST, the airline business is a market-pricing business, not a cost-pricing one.
But even then, AY benefit from shorter sectors to/from Asia, which means they have to fly the big seats for fewer hous.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bazzatel
I guess exactly that is driving the strategic direction they have chosen.

What makes more money: fewer people paying more or more people paying less?

They've done the math and - possibly learning from recent past history - worked out that the former strategy works better for them
That's the most accurate analysis of the situation.

Whether they've managed to learn anything from their mistakes is what remains to be seen.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 1:44 pm

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
Originally Posted by ian001

BA has already taken 3 747s out of service and the new 777s arriving this year will be used as replacements, rather than for growth as had originally been planned. One HKG route is going down to a 777.
It seems more will have to be done, especially regarding the US and Asia/Pacific.

In the meanwhile, it seems Africa and Latin America remain resilient markets. We could therefore expect BA to carefully examine these markets such as more frequencies to GIG nonstop, split GRU and EZE so that both have dedicated flights, and more capacity to East Africa in general.

Rgs,
Old Jan 6, 2009, 1:48 pm

There's also a reminder in the statement that figures now include frequent flyer mileage redemptions, and if I read it correctly they have restated the 2007 figures so that they are on the same basis. I don't have the old figures, but this should make it possible to work out the percentage of passengers travelling on redemption tickets for each market (for Q4 07 at least), if anyone is interested.

I assume if premium loads remain weak there will be another mile sales later in the year, to help keep the load factor up and reduce the number of miles in circulation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.