Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT: Qatar - wow! [Airline rather than country]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2008, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(

Just flown a few short flights into and out of DOH. Both flights less than a hour, but served a choice of hot dishes, and addressed by name, in big comfy armchair style seats in permanent 2+2 configuration on A321s. A dedicated F bus with just 10 armchair seats and wood grain shelves for our hand luggage took us directly to the fast track immigration area at DOH and out to the plane; those pax with long haul connections were whisked away in a BMW. In the lounge I took off my jacket while sitting in the dining room and someone appeared with a portable jacket hanger; the champagne was delivered on the merest raise of a finger (whereas in LHR T5 F you have to trek for 100m to find the bubbles!).

I realise that BA's size and pax numbers make this sort of service impractical to deliver but it was such a nice relaxed way to fly. If in the ME, do give Qatar a try.

Oh, they share a lounge with BA in AUH - quite pleasant with PCs and tasty hot food but we were there mid afternoon when it was quiet. It would be tight ahead of a busy BA flight departure I would think.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 8:40 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, British Airways ID, Lloyds TSB Visa Debit Card
I used QR about three years ago for a little day-jolly.... QR LHR-DOH, EK DOH-DXB, EK DXB-LGW and found QR absolutely superb. Even down the back (staff travel!).

GREAT staff, GREAT IFE, GREAT food, GREAT service all round.

I concur. If you cannot fly BA or a One World partner (which should always be everyone's first choice ), go QR.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 8:45 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
One of my collegues used the recently as they were £200 cheaper pp to DXB than EK.

Said it was absolutely brilliant and really enjoyed the flights.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 8:53 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
If you think Qatar premium shorthaul is good wait till you try their premium longhaul products. You'll be blown away!
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
If you think Qatar premium shorthaul is good wait till you try their premium longhaul products. You'll be blown away!
I'm going to join their FF scheme and would seriously consider them LHR to Oz if the price was right. But it would have to be way cheaper than BA/QF to get me to forgo the BAEC miles/TPs.

Edited to add - not sure if they fly to Oz so may be not a threat to BA/QF then.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:08 am

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus
Originally Posted by James S
I'm going to join their FF scheme and would seriously consider them LHR to Oz if the price was right. But it would have to be way cheaper than BA/QF to get me to forgo the BAEC miles/TPs.
Hi JS - when you find out, would you mind posting the quotes here for comparison? Ta!^
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
what about posting the miles to BMI or LH?
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:33 am
formerly Marwanie

Programs: BA Silver, MH Enrich Gold, BMI
I always fly QR within the Middle-East. Service is great, seats are great and the prices aren't bad at all for J/F!!
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:40 am
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Hmmm. Was going to take Qatar to KUL this weekend (nice two flight journey from MAN) but didn't because I didn't have anywhere to dump the miles.

Instead going AF to SIN then MI onwards in a three flights each way PITA trip which is more expensive as well. The things we do for miles and status.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:41 am

Programs: BA & A3 - Silver and fading
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
what about posting the miles to BMI or LH?
Agree, this is a good option.

Earlier this year I had to take a (MAN)-LHR-DOH-PVG using QR in J due to the price and it was a fantastic experience. Their slopey flat J seats (similar to the BMI J seat on a MAN-ORD) are not as good as the BA NCW or NGCW beds but given the price was 50% of BA I couldn't really grumble.

The excellent food and champagne, extremely attentitve service, IFE with AVOD & huge choice, well designed cabins and transfer experience using the dedicated premium terminal in DOH really makes this incredible value for money.

Plus I got 2 x BMI miles as well (although these are destination miles only of course). The only thing I really missed from a BA long haul was the tier points but seeing as I should still make Gold again this year I am OK with that.

All in all not a bad option for travel east if you don't mind changing (and given the ease at DOH I am sure many would not).

Signed

Bad Attitude
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
My grandmother flew them in J last year and said they were great too. ^
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:19 am

Programs: GHA Gold Priority Club Gold,Etihad Guest,EK Skywards,BA exec and QR privilege
Hi,
we booked QR LGW>DOH>BKK r/t in J (D actually,their discount business class) cost 1702 GBP each which has to be a bargain.I hope:
a) the political strife in Bangkok doesn't stop us.
b) QR live up to their reputation.
The flight times are brilliant for us,09:15 dep LGW,07:20 arr BKK
then 20:05 dep BKK,arr LGW 06:55
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by SuanLum
Hi,
we booked QR LGW>DOH>BKK r/t in J (D actually,their discount business class) cost 1702 GBP each which has to be a bargain.I hope:
a) the political strife in Bangkok doesn't stop us.
b) QR live up to their reputation.
The flight times are brilliant for us,09:15 dep LGW,07:20 arr BKK
then 20:05 dep BKK,arr LGW 06:55
Re a) you didn't say when you were travelling ... ?

You made a good choice with QR.

I feel that EK is getting too successful nowadays and as a consequence EK has pushed up its prices so the value isn't there like it was before.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:31 am

Looks like I am in the minority then!

I was not particularly impressed with them. Sure the onboard First lounge and the BMW transfer were pleasant experiences. Although it is worth noting that the onboard lounge has now been removed IIRC.

We only paid £1500 each for our LHR-DOH-HKG return trip (trip report here) and I do not feel that it was particularly good value. Only 1 set of crew were good/exceptional whilst the others were below par. I do not like the idea of having to pay for a spa treatment in a First Class lounge. I did not like QR advertising various features of the spa on their website before those features are complete and open for use. I do not like being disturbed by staff every 15 mins in a First Class lounge and being asked 'Are you flying to xxx'.

I would never set foot on them again.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Intra-Gulf Y isn't too bad either. Respectable leg room, a moderate little snack, super clean planes. Ground handlng at RUH sucks and never book a 45min connection at DOH, for the sake of your sanity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.