Search

APD to be converted to 4-band system

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2008, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Quebec5
9. Distances are based on the distance between London and the capital city
of the destination country/territory.

So LHR-SFO at 5367miles is taxed at Band B because IAD is 3677 miles from LHR (being the capital city) - perfect logic !?!?!?!?!?
What about Vladivostok???
Old Nov 24, 2008, 1:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by bmiStar
I like logic that keeps the west coast in band B, ^would you prefer it to be in C?
There are always winners and losers
Band B is still more than the current APD.

Edited to add, there are some winners. Countries in the new band A that previously were charged intercontinental rate

Algeria
Morocco
Tunisia
Western Sahara

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 24, 2008 at 1:26 pm
Old Nov 24, 2008, 1:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by graraps
What about Vladivostok???
Band B. Russia is split based on destination east or west of Urals.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Interesting. Mr Brown was very recently saying words to the effect that any country that didn't immediately implement very expansionary policies is conspiring to bring about the collapse of the world economy. And now this. Obviously he thinks the airline industry will be resilient in the face of recession. I realise he is hard pressed to find any source of revenue without killing a golden (or even base metal) goose, but suspect he will be mightily surprised. Surely he knows how much the industry was dependent on the investment w@nkers and their once limitless travel budgets?

I don't buy the argument that people will avoid UK airports provided they need to travel and the convenience is there. But whether it's your personal budget or the FD you have to answer to, the more you load the cost the sooner you will start to cut back on trips entirely. I foresee lean times in the travel industry.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 1:29 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
What an inspired move by HM government . In one fell swoop, penalise the very people who are most likely to bring continued prosperity to UK plc and then further tax their travel. I can almost hear the cries: "They can afford it". Sure, but they can also afford to take their business elsewhere. Sorry to go on with the polemic, but isn't this the same chancellor who also said he didn't know what was going on right now as the markets began to freefall?

Feel free to disagree with me, as after all this place isn't aimed at polemic.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Forgot to add that Mr Brown will have to say bye-bye to my APD payments, as I should be based near MAD by then...
Old Nov 24, 2008, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by virtualtroy
What an inspired move by HM government . In one fell swoop, penalise the very people who are most likely to bring continued prosperity to UK plc and then further tax their travel. I can almost hear the cries: "They can afford it". Sure, but they can also afford to take their business elsewhere. Sorry to go on with the polemic, but isn't this the same chancellor who also said he didn't know what was going on right now as the markets began to freefall?
How dare you criticise the man who officially abolished boom and bust???
Old Nov 24, 2008, 2:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
I don't buy the argument that people will avoid UK airports provided they need to travel and the convenience is there. But whether it's your personal budget or the FD you have to answer to, the more you load the cost the sooner you will start to cut back on trips entirely. I foresee lean times in the travel industry.
I already have cut back my UK stopovers since APD was launched. I have a free choice of stopovers. Continental Europe thanks UK for the tax. Further increases in APD do nothing to encourage me back to UK. It also means I'm flying much less BA than would otherwise be the case.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 2:50 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA-GGL, LH-Sen
Originally Posted by Raffles

From Nov 1 2009Y / 2010Y / 2009J / 2010J
Band A (0-2000) £11 / £12 / £22 / £24
Band B (2001-4000) £45 / £60 / £90 / £120
I'm glad they made a sensible exception for Cyprus. Technically LON-NIC comes up as 2001 miles on great circle and LHR-LCA slightly more so for a moment there I was worried that we'd get the worst of both worlds: Long haul APD but Short haul 767 (non-)service and TPs.

Phew.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I already have cut back my UK stopovers since APD was launched. I have a free choice of stopovers. Continental Europe thanks UK for the tax. Further increases in APD do nothing to encourage me back to UK. It also means I'm flying much less BA than would otherwise be the case.

This is exactly how I look at it. BA should be hopping mad as people may choose to fly to AMS and take longhaul from there, possibly not on BA. Tourism sector will also be hurt. I don't see the justification in paying a very substantial tax just to arrive/leave the UK. There are other destinations. This would never fly in Canada as the tourism industry would be screaming.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 3:07 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, lots of old plastic claiming to be precious metal
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Band B is still more than the current APD.

Edited to add, there are some winners. Countries in the new band A that previously were charged intercontinental rate

Algeria
Morocco
Tunisia
Western Sahara
The apparent advantage to Western Sahara is possibly muted by the lack of scheduled flights to that neck of the woods. Andorra is also an interesting inclusion in Band A, given the total lack of airports there.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by satprof
The apparent advantage to Western Sahara is possibly muted by the lack of scheduled flights to that neck of the woods. Andorra is also an interesting inclusion in Band A, given the total lack of airports there.
Hi,

Andorra is simple really; just ask the captain of your flight to BCN to decend a bit early and use the parachute!!

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 24, 2008, 3:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
This is exactly how I look at it. BA should be hopping mad as people may choose to fly to AMS and take longhaul from there, possibly not on BA.
But that doesn't help unless people book on separate tickets. While I would expect the average reader of flyertalk to do that, I would think that the majority of travellers wouldn't even know or bother about doing that.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 3:29 pm

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
And don't forget that eg Holland recently introduced a departure tax (much to the dismay of KLM and Schiphol Airport. So even if you don't pay the UK one, you'll get stung for the Dutch one.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 3:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by satprof
It may be in preparation for a Ryanair "Andorra" flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.