Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Save BA Scotland

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2008, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Save BA Scotland

On the flight up from LHR to EDI this morning the crew were talking to card holders about the plans to close the Glasgow crew base (and scrap the first Shuttle from GLA and possible EDI).

They have set up a website which is worth a look.

www.savebascotland.co.uk
Old Oct 31, 2008, 7:02 am

It's a noble effort, but with questionable efficacy.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC
Jim Sheridan MP for Paisley had a go at WW about this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7699756.stm
Old Oct 31, 2008, 3:25 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Very short sighted of BA to do this. With the sale of BMI to LH, I would suggest that LH use BMI's slots to service other star partners and the BMI regional routes take a hammering... If BA remove the first morning shuttles, they will lose those (generally full fare) passengers to squeezy jet or similar.
Come on BA, Get another financial analyst on this.....
Old Oct 31, 2008, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA (Silver), UA, Virgin FC Silver, Microsoft Word, blah blah
They seem to be trying to get round it (the abandonment of the early morning shuttles, which IME are nearly always crammed) by adding an additional LCY service (from GLA at least). Good for City commuters, not so good for long haul connectors.

It just seems unbelievably shortsighted to run down BA's presence in Scotland. I'm sure the bean counters will have run all their models but there's a commercial and cultural value to having staff from all the nations and regions of the UK, and maintaining a strong presence in Scotland is part of that. PLus just leaving the rest of the UK's avaiation market open to even more competition from the likes of EZY, KLM, etc etc. Such a shame because the Scottish crews are decent people and deserve a decent deal. More Londoncentric arrogance (and I speak as a Londoner who's relocated to Scotland!). There is serious brand damage being done here, even if it makes commercial sense from one point of view. I know all the airlines are fighting for their lives but to put all the eggs in the heathrow basket just seems really daft to me.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA (Silver), UA, Virgin FC Silver, Microsoft Word, blah blah
The savebascotland site is well worth a look. Nice to see all those familiar faces! The more I think about this the angrier I become. It was bad enough to see all the ground staff get chopped last year but this is just horrible. Another nail in the coffin of the Scottish economy.

I signed the petition online and would urge any other FTers who feel like me to do the same. As a (minnow) shareholder I'll also be writing to WW. I'm not convinced it'll make any difference but the worst of it is that a lot of the Glasgow based staff, mainly it seems women with families, will be required to relocate to London if they're not to lose their jobs. That just seems unreasonable. And they're going to do it by January...
Old Oct 31, 2008, 4:06 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Whilst I like the LCY service, It will be interesting to see how well it copes with ageing aircraft and weather....
Old Oct 31, 2008, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by macabus
It's a noble effort, but with questionable efficacy.

Sadly you are of course right.

BA can do what they want basically and as it concerns cuts in the regions, unions aren't all that interested either.
Just another example of how much the regions have to rely on foreign airlines to provide decent routes/schedules.
KLM must be rubbing their hands with this news.......again.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I agree, its scandalous. With the removal of the 0605 flight from GLA to LHR, its now extremely difficult to get to central London for an 0815/0830 meeting with any certainty.

I'll just use the sleeper from now on.

I don't understand how this move can save them money when the 0600 GLA-LGW and the 0605 GLA-LHR were packed every morning
Old Nov 1, 2008, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
Going a little OT how does British Airways fit in with The First Minister's (pictured on the savebascotland website) vision of an independent Scotland that does not want anything to do with the South East of England? Why bother with flights to it?
FWIW - I have also signed the petition. I use the BRS - GLA route regularly, and stuck with the Easy option only since BA Connect's demise.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 5:06 am

SaveBAScotland.co.uk website overload.

Due to the overwhelming response from supporters signing the online petition we experienced a technical issue from 20.00 GMT to 0855 today 1st November which may have caused the loss of some of the signatures submitted during this time.

If you accessed the petition during these hours we would be very grateful if you would resubmit your signature.

For the sake of accuracy we will delete any duplicate signatures.

Thnak you for your patience and support.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 10:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Is that the fragrant Mrs Tommy Sheridan (one from right) I see standing in that picture next to the First Minister? I think we should be told.
Originally Posted by gonesouth
Going a little OT how does British Airways fit in with The First Minister's (pictured on the savebascotland website) vision of an independent Scotland that does not want anything to do with the South East of England? Why bother with flights to it?
Without reopening 301 years of discussion, I think the First Minister would say that not wanting to be governed by south-east England is not the same as not wanting to do business with it
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:35 pm

Programs: BAEC
Yep its her.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:48 am

Programs: The best one can have Crew Card, Mucci Guardien de la Demoiselle Enchantee
Originally Posted by Cosby
Yep its her.
It's not her.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DragonWagon
It's not her.
Sure? I thought it was her as well to be honest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.