Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 Concorde

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2008, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

T5 Concorde

T5 has got its Concorde room but what is happening with the spare Concorde.

I thought the idea had been to move it to T5 but it seems not. Is

it destined to rust away in a lonely corner of the airport ?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Nobody actually knows it would seem, but my best guess it will be put on display somewhere outside at LHR but necessarily at T5. See here for some discussion:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=816071

If anybody else knows more, please say!
Old Oct 20, 2008, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
The Heathrow Concorde is still sitting at the back of the BA maintenance sheds at the eastern end of Heathrow, on the same complex as the stricken 777 which has now had its markings removed.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen the Concorde displayed on the roundabout complex on the approach to T5, but there's no way that's going to happen now with all work completed.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 5:36 pm

Programs: BAEC
Apparently, the Concorde at T5 idea was discussed when the retirement was announced, but by that point the T5 design was too far advanced to accomodate G-BOAB.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 2:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Speedbird2
Apparently, the Concorde at T5 idea was discussed when the retirement was announced, but by that point the T5 design was too far advanced to accomodate G-BOAB.
A real shame as it would have made an amazing centrepiece inside the terminal.

Last edited by BA1A; Oct 23, 2008 at 1:10 am
Old Oct 21, 2008, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Every so often I ask over on the Proon, but there are no answers forthcoming there, either.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:30 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
I believe Joan Collins still travels through T5, from time-to-time, with her wig boxes. Would one of these not make a fitting substitute for the golden age of supersonic air travel?
Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Speedbird2
Surely just moving it so it could be seen from T5 would be both easy and welcome ?
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:57 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by BA1A
A real shame as it was have made an amazing centrepiece inside the terminal.
The Boeing Museum of Flight at Seattle has some amazing aircraft hanging from the ceiling of the main hall and some very sizeable ones too. I would have thought a way could be found to hang Concorde from the roof of T5 (without detracting from BAA's sales space!)

I know there would be engineering design constraints and as the roof wasn't designed/built for that load it is probably a no-no but, hell, one can pray for someone with some vision!

Even the model from the Concorde Roundabout would look good!
Old Oct 23, 2008, 1:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M, PC PlatAmb, Marriott, SPG
As I child I used to live in Finland, and I was always in awe at the propeller plane which is housed insidie the HEL airport, hanging from the ceiling.

To have an entire Concorde hanging from the ceiling in T5 would be quite something But I don't see how they'll be able to bring it in now... a bit too late to have it installed in one piece, and if it's done piece by piece, the service distruptions would be catastrophic IMO.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS, EK
They could hang it from the ceiling when BA move into Terminal 6, where all the problems/issues will be resolved and Dom in every lounge.

B.Fr

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.