Community
Wiki Posts
Search

THumbs Up for the T5B Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2008, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA : Virgin
Originally Posted by Caymanian
Glad to see someone talking sense for once !
Surely just 1 carriage on the same train returing that could return 5b to 5a passengers and opening the relavant door upon arrival to make it 'all safe and secure'
Old Oct 19, 2008, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
That's the Seattle solution.

But think of the infrastructure. You would have to have segregated approaches to the T5B platforms on the "inbound" side (T5B->T5A), and segregated exits from the T5A platforms.

And think of the capacity issues. Broadly speaking, the train has to take as many people from T5B to T5A as it takes from T5A to T5B. But if you take out one carriage for a sterile return, then you cram arriving passengers into half the train space. A wonderful way of generating complaints about the warm welcome to the UK.

And, as I say, all this would be for a mere handful of people.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 1:15 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
All this for a handful of people who can't read signs, or who want to cherry pick their lounge. Not very cost-effective.
Well I can say the cherry picking worked out well today.... and perhaps for future occassions as well

By the way, the service and internet access at the T5B lounge were exponentially better than at the main terminal, probably because not a lot of people use T5B yet!

Last edited by ACfly; Oct 19, 2008 at 1:27 pm
Old Oct 19, 2008, 1:51 pm
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Central security, indeed. Just like most other places in the world. It is now quite uncommon for international arriving passengers at any airport not to be segregated from departing passengers.

This was perhaps best demonstrated in the old T1 layout. Although there was no immigration or customs control for arriving passengers either from UK domestic flights or Ireland flights, the terminal was set up so that UK domestic arrivals could go straight to their next flight (either domestic or international), but Ireland arrivals would have to clear security before boarding another aircraft.

You don't need to do this if you have security at the gate. But that must be very much more expensive.
Thanks for the explanation. I think gate security is not only more expensive, but less efficient... going by the huge queues I encounter at airports like AMS, not to mention the PITA of needing bags for duty-free. And generally you need central security anyway (for departing pax not connecting) as only having gate security creates a bit of a security loophole... but that's another thread that was well done earlier
Old Oct 19, 2008, 6:16 pm

Programs: BA - GGL GFL
As a passenger the biggest PITA with gate security is that you can't take water on board. Imagine flying 6+ hours in Y and not being able to bring your own refreshments.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by vSFU
As a passenger the biggest PITA with gate security is that you can't take water on board. Imagine flying 6+ hours in Y and not being able to bring your own refreshments.
You know, *even* Y pax are allowed as many refreshments as they want on board....!
Old Oct 20, 2008, 12:42 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by vSFU
Old Oct 20, 2008, 1:47 am

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
This was almost exactly my experience last Thursday. I arrived from JFK and was transiting to IST. The Galleries First was crowded, and I hadn't really believed that the restroom situation was as dire as it really was. The shower suction was no fun either. I didn't think about trying to trek out to other lounge, but in retrospect I should have.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 2:02 am

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
That's the Seattle solution.

But think of the infrastructure. You would have to have segregated approaches to the T5B platforms on the "inbound" side (T5B->T5A), and segregated exits from the T5A platforms.

And think of the capacity issues. Broadly speaking, the train has to take as many people from T5B to T5A as it takes from T5A to T5B. But if you take out one carriage for a sterile return, then you cram arriving passengers into half the train space. A wonderful way of generating complaints about the warm welcome to the UK.

And, as I say, all this would be for a mere handful of people.

They have a divided train in Tai'pei, as well...seems to work well...
Old Oct 20, 2008, 2:32 am
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by jghill
You know, *even* Y pax are allowed as many refreshments as they want on board....!
I agree with the vSFU/. When flying longhaul Y I used to like to drink a lot of water to keep hydrated, a couple of litres a flight. To get that much water, even on an attentive airline like SQ, requires a LOT of asking for another glass and doesn't always go over well. Plus airlines often will serve Y pax water from the plane rather than bottled, and good luck if you want to drink a lot of that.

SIN was a joke when they first introduced the liquids rule. You could take all manner of liquids on-board from duty free, but not a simple bottle of water. Now, the duty free stores also sell bottles of water, as they're the only places that have the sealable bags.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 2:46 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
So, is the T5B lounge a vanilla Galleries lounge? There's no segregated F section I take it.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Greg66
So, is the T5B lounge a vanilla Galleries lounge? There's no segregated F section I take it.
Yes. Though given there now appears to be little difference in the food and beverage offerings between the two, you would barely notice...
Old Oct 20, 2008, 3:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by jghill
In theory, but it doesn't always work in practice

(An overnight AF flight, where the crew had vanished soon after serving dinner, refused to answer call bells, and because a trolley of drinks had been left out, saw no need to come through the cabin regularly (or indeed at all). Unfortunately I was in window, and person in aisle was sound asleep - no opportunity to get out without waking her. So liquids were freely available, i just had no way of getting at them. Had my own water which did for some of the trip... )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.