Wiki Posts
Search

Kangaroo Route - Jet Lag Minimisation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2008, 9:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Kangaroo Route - Jet Lag Minimisation

You prob gathered by now that I will be travelling on the Kangaroo route for the first time in a few days time and wanted to see from you seasoned BA travellers as to the best way to minmise jetlag and discomfort.

In the past I always take CX and I actually stay 1 day before heading to LHR and when I did it as transit before it was a night flight leaving SYD.

As I understand it the meal sequnce are as follows:

1) Lunch/Dinner
2) Snack
3) Supper
4) Breakfast

I assume it is best to avoid any sleeping on the SYD-BKK leg and then stay awak for another 1-2 hours on the BKK-LHR flight and then sleep till arrival?

Any other experience?
Old Aug 17, 2008, 11:58 pm

Greetings from Melbourne!

OK you're going to get a bazillion different tips on this! Aussies are well accustomed to long haul so here's my tips:

a. From 12+ hours before the flight, you're at DESTINATION time. So if the flight is 11pm PST and you're going to Melbourne, then from 11am PST you treat it like 4AM AEST (the next day - trippy I know!). You'll want to sleep as little as possible the night before to achieve this.

OR (if this isn't feasible)

b. Do NOT sleep the night before if it's a morning flight. Tire yourself silly! You want to get on that plane, eat, then sleep (assuming it aligns with night time in Oz).

2. As soon as you're on the plane, you're still at DESTINATION time. No ifs, buts or maybes. Eat whatever and whenever you like (but remember it'll make you drowsy - can work for or against you), but don't pretend it's 11pm PST when it's actually 4am AEST. Sleep! And no more than 1 glass of wine. Whatever you do, take your shoes off as soon as you get onboard. Whenever you wake (cos, let's face it, you won't get a proper sleep), get some water, and rotate the ankles.

3. If you can't sleep, welcome to the world of long-haul travel!! Snooze as much as you can, take a sleeping pill if that's your thing, drink water whenever you're awake, and rotate those ankles. Read, watch tiny movies, walk if you want to, but try to sleep as much as possible if it's overnight Aussie time. And pack some snacks - airlines are lousy for food quantity. Sugary snacks to keep you awake (mars bar works a treat), and basic snacks to fill you up.

4. Once off the plane do NOT sleep until it's night time (local time). Cardinal sin is to sleep during the day - it'll wipe out days worth of quality tourist days! By all means have an earlier night or a 12 hour sleep, but don't do it at 11am or 3pm or even 6pm. 9pm minimum!

Having said that, here's the 'ocker' approach:

1. Hop on the plane, ask when the drinks are available. Beg for one now (even in economy)

2. Drink

3. Eat

4. Repeat step 2 infinitely, making as many new friends as possible

5. Arrive at airport. Clear customs. Find bar.

6. Repeat step 2 until can't walk or bar closes

Enjoy oz!

PS - I should be in NY by late year, maybe around NYE, for 7-10 days. 3rd time there. Any tips?! Need a house sitter? lol.

Last edited by Enigma; Aug 18, 2008 at 12:04 am
Old Aug 18, 2008, 1:40 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by IHEARTNY1
I assume it is best to avoid any sleeping on the SYD-BKK leg and then stay awak for another 1-2 hours on the BKK-LHR flight and then sleep till arrival?

Any other experience?
I presume you're flying SYD/BKK/LHR on BA10.

This is a late afternoon flight with an evening transit in BKK arriving early morning into LHR. I've done similar ex-MEL (as have a lot of Aussies as Enigma stated) but I have a slightly different regime!

SYD-BKK stay awake. Take a wander around BKK airport - you'll need to disembark and take your hand-luggage with you anyway! When you get back on-board, stay awake for dinner and drink copious amounts of alcohol. (I usually pop an anti-histamine or 3 with the wine, but I'm not recommending this in case your estate decides to sue!)

Pass out.

Inevitably wake with about 3hrs to run to LHR. Try and snooze until just before breakfast. Arrive into Heathrow ready for the new day and - whatever you do - stay awake for as long as possible.

Fortunately you're following the sun and - hopefully - like me you'll find that the body adapts a lot quicker going in this direction.

BD
Old Aug 18, 2008, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BD1959
Fortunately you're following the sun and - hopefully - like me you'll find that the body adapts a lot quicker going in this direction.
Me too - I always just keep forcing myself back to sleep in this direction (with varying degrees of success!) but find it much easier than the other direction for some reason.

Enjoy the trip
Old Aug 18, 2008, 12:22 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Personally I prefer to get a little sleep in each leg on through flights from Australia/NZ to Europe. As others have mentioned, it is important not to sleep too much on the first flight.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
What's jet lag again?
Old Aug 18, 2008, 12:40 pm

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Just got back in the Uk after 2 days in Hong Kong, 26 hours in Sydney and then straight back to UK via HKG (on VS)

My tip for your flight to the UK (or any flight from east to west through the night) which has worked perfect for me today is to:

Wake up early in Oz on your day of departure and have a light breakfast
Assuming you have a day flight back to SIN / BKK / HKG or the like, don't eat much or drink any alcohol and DON'T sleep on the 1st leg
Arrive in HKG and get a shower (hopefully in a airline lounge) and get a quick bite to eat
Assuming your final leg leaves late at night you should now be quite tired so go straight to sleep when you re-board (I slept for 9 hours this morning)
When you arrive into the UK don't sleep but go straight to work (or do anything that stops you sleeping) - good luck

It's now 7:30pm at night and I'm feeling ok and already back onto UK time^
Old Aug 18, 2008, 1:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, BA GGL
I have found with this that the best way to do it:-

1. Normal day in SYD on the day you leave - I normally get up and go to the gym and the go to the office
2. On the SYD - BKK leg - I have my meal, watch films and try to stay awake! I normally give in and cannot survive without sleep and fall asleep for an hour or 2. I tend to skip the snack....
3. Off at BKK and a walk and a shower and try and stay awake
4. On the BKK - LHR leg its drink and another meal and then fall asleep hopefully till around 40mins out! I try and stay asleep as long as possible.

Once I get home I find the hangover is kicking in so I try and sleep for 1 hr (no more no less) and then stay up as long as possible till I do fall asleep in the evening!

Personally - I think we all cope with jet lag differently!
Old Aug 18, 2008, 5:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks All,

I will be actually in Club World (unfortuantely not FIRST) so hopefully would make some difference, must say I am really glad not to travel on QF as I am pretty sick off the Skybeds - it is just to hard to sit comfortably and the slope is just not good for sleeping.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 5:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Melatonin.......if you can find a way to get hold of it (eg friend visiting USA).
Old Aug 18, 2008, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by IHEARTNY1
I am really glad not to travel on QF as I am pretty sick off the Skybeds - it is just to hard to sit comfortably and the slope is just not good for sleeping.
Not to mention plane holes, full loos, and falling panels!
Old Aug 18, 2008, 6:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
The most recent research suggests:

1. Fast for 16 hours before you arrive. So since the flight is longer than that, you have two choices:

Fast for 16 hours before you take off, then eat on the schedule of your arrival destination.

OR

Fast for the last 16 hours of the flight then eat when you arrive in Australia.

2. Melatonin - way too much conflicting research on this; a good review article published about six months ago but I can't remember where. It helps, it doesn't etc. Probably placebo half the time at best in my reading of it.

3. Do drink lots of water.

4. My secret was always to take a sleeping pill and push myself as close into the time zone that I was going to as I could. Of course I was leaving from Toronto so I would usually go the first leg (5 hrs or so) awake, then knock myself out for as long as I could since the arrival in Sydney was usually in morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.