Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT: Purchasing prepaid sim card for mobile phone at Heathrow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Purchasing prepaid sim card for mobile phone at Heathrow?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2009, 2:04 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by David-A
I know I've not been following the uk mobile industry much recently, but last time I checked T-mobile was still a real network operator? [GSM1800]

Just to clarify for the OP, while the many virtual networks may just be leasing capacity and do not own their own masts, I'm sure you all would agree that is certainly not a reason to discount them at all.

But obviously you need to checkout who they piggyback on to find out what they use/need.

The virtuals also come in various sizes, Virgin are so well established and abundant that they are not really viewed as a virtual operator in the publics eyes. But it goes all the way down in size, through ones tied to major supermarkets etc, all the way down to tiny outfits no one has heard of (then the caution should probably rise - they deal will probably not be that good as a smaller speculative player behind the venture.).

Also a bit unfair to categorize 3 as not having their own network?

[But, please note I've not really been following things for a couple of years!]
My bad, T-mobile is indeed its own operator (i was thinking they used Vodafone, but it is Virgin which use T-mobile).

3 technically have their own network but only in UMTS, otherwise they use Orange for GSM/GPRS/EDGE network.

As you mention though, I was simply trying to help and make sure that the OP didnt buy a sim card which didnt work in his phone.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 3:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
There's also a Sim Card vending machine in T1 Arrivals near the HEX/HEC Elevators (and rather overpriced I should add).

Or alternatively, head to a Carphone Warehouse/Phones4U/Pound Store when you get here - there's no shortage of them in London and beyond...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.