Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:26 am
Original Poster

3rd Daily Joburg from next summer

At last some good news

http://travel.iafrica.com/flights/738255.htm
Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
That whaleplane doesn't look so bad in BA colours, does it?
Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:38 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
FINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ten years too late.

Originally Posted by iafrica.com
British Airways will increase its South African services by another seven flights from April 2009 following successful bilateral talks between the South African and British governments.
What bilateral talks? What are the terms? Has the demand by SA to increase slot access at LHR been satisfied or have they given up on that front, in favour of increasing capacity to the country (i.e. sacrifice a little of SAA for more tourists, more football-fans etc.)?
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
"Conservatively the additional frequencies mean another 99 120 seats to South Africa each year and as many as 117 936 depending on the configuration of the aircraft we use," says Lin Glass, British Airways' general manager for South Africa, Mauritius and the Seychelles."

Yes, but how many will be available as F or J awards? I was becoming used to the idea of using my BD miles on Turkish Airlines or Egyptair.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:27 am

Wonder whether it will be a morning departure from JNB? Bit of a waste to have three 744s sitting on the tarmac for 12hours.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:25 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Optimising fleet utilisation

Originally Posted by The Saint
Wonder whether it will be a morning departure from JNB? Bit of a waste to have three 744s sitting on the tarmac for 12hours.
Having one of the three flights as a day flight might also preclude the need to dedicate a third aircraft to the route. AFAIK (but I might be wrong), KLM has only one daily frequency to JNB but the aircraft are never on the ground for long. The day flight arrives at JNB in the early evening, turns around is back on its way to AMS a few hours later. BA could do something similar.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Teece
That whaleplane doesn't look so bad in BA colours, does it?
It looks good - but I will be more interested to see what they do on the inside, when they finally get them
Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:07 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Old news, but reported here on FlyerTalk. Comair has been seeking rights to fly to London... (article & thread from Aug 07)

Cape Town - Comair, or its low-cost arm, kulula.com, may soon compete with SAA and Nationwide in offering flights to London from Johannesburg.

The group has applied for a licence to put on daily flights to London.

Of course they'd need some aircraft with longer legs, slots etc. but worth meantioning.

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
Having one of the three flights as a day flight might also preclude the need to dedicate a third aircraft to the route. AFAIK (but I might be wrong), KLM has only one daily frequency to JNB but the aircraft are never on the ground for long. The day flight arrives at JNB in the early evening, turns around is back on its way to AMS a few hours later. BA could do something similar.
KLM fly a daily B747-400 Combi to JNB departing AMS at 10:30 & arriving at 21:10. It's back off to AMS at 23:30. Problem is that UK has -2 hours time difference whereas the Netherlands has only -1 in addition to an extra 30 minutes in the air.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by flyboy777
Problem is that UK has -2 hours time difference whereas the Netherlands has only -1 in addition to an extra 30 minutes in the air.
If you think about that, you'll realise that the time difference is irrelevant.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:24 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
If you think about that, you'll realise that the time difference is irrelevant.
What I was implying is that a similarly timed flight would land late - around 11pm in JNB. Therefore a daylight flight would need to be earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.