Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade: LGW-MRS or GIB-LGW?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2008, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Question Upgrade: LGW-MRS or GIB-LGW?

I've got a holiday coming up which involves two sectors on BA, BA2364 to MRS (departs around lunchtime) on a B734 & returning on BA2495 from GIB on a B733.

Since I've found some very good value award tickets, we only have enough miles to burn for the whole family to upgrade one sector so which one would you advise. ba.com says that Gibraltar is a 'third party lounge' & having never flown out of GIB before (always AGP for one reason or another) I have no idea.

I beleive the first easyJet fight also departs around a similar time & having not seen the departure lounge before - would it be too crowded with up to 300 people waiting?

Gatwick seems to be quietening down by the time BA2364 departs (especially since the 2nd IAH flight has moved) so would the pull of that Gatwick lounge & reduced service be better than the relief at GIB & extended service? Incidentally, how busy is the BA operated GIB flight?

Another factor is that a 2 hour 50 minute flight with no IFE system could be a little 'boring' so Club may offer a few more things to do - eg. eat, drink...

Any thoughts & opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 20, 2008, 1:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
If I understand it correctly you are trying to upgrade from ET to CE with miles - if that is indeed the case, be aware that only Y, B and H booking class is upgradeable that way. LGW flights do often offer the £59 upgrade, so that may be a solution. You'll be able to do that in advance via MMB.

After reading your post again it may just be a straight redemption - if that is the case, ignore my ramblings
Old May 20, 2008, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
It would be sacrilegious to use miles to upgrade to CE on a LGW ticket when £59 upgraded are available.
Old May 20, 2008, 1:41 pm

If they really are 'to burn' then I'd go for the return leg every time. IMO though, I think a ET->CE Upgrade is really poor value unless you are going to guzzle that wine. The service is so similar, the seats only marginally better than economy, etc. I doubt they'd notice if you smuggled a bottle of champagne on board either....
Old May 20, 2008, 1:44 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

To put it this proposition on its head, if I had a CE ticket booked on flights outside the usual breakfast, lunch or dinner time windows I would seriously like an opportunity to downgrade to ET. The CE product just isn't what it once was.

In other words, CE redemptions for these short sectors is a complete waste of miles. If you are still intent on going for it, bear in mind the £10 APD uplift levied on the LGW-MRS sector.
Old May 20, 2008, 1:46 pm

Programs: MUCCI
The GIB executive lounge is a third party lounge - however there is no way for anyone to pay to get in. It's limited to status pax or business class.
[No entry with 'priority pass' or coupons, etc either.]

As a result there should be zero impact from the easyjet flight (no business class and no status pax on easy). It has far more seats than most people realise or remember that it does. Plenty of drinks and nuts/crisps. Obviously no hot food etc.

The MAIN departure lounge (aka the gate area) does get a bit crowded when there are a couple of flights at once, but its bearable. And there are enough seats here too (unlike the situation you get now at some bigger airports!).

Doubt you will have a serious crowding problem at GIB. Note however that outside the business class lounge there is little to do airside at Gib, but you don't need to go through too early either.

The lounge at Gatwick is obviously of a different scale. But there is also more to do outside the lounge at Gatwick.

6 of one, etc. It depends on what you are looking for from the lounge?
How long will you be waiting at each end, etc?

If you understand that GIB is a small airport with all the pros' and con's that go with that, then you can cope without the lounge - although it does add some comfort.
Gatwick, do you think it will be busy that day?

Last edited by David-A; May 20, 2008 at 1:54 pm
Old May 20, 2008, 3:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
GIB lounge is nice for a short period.
its comfy, no food, poor drinks etc.

newspapers and a very, very good view over the apron if your interested in watching arrival, unloading/loading of what im guessing will still be a 737
Old May 20, 2008, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyboy777
I've got a holiday coming up which involves two sectors on BA, BA2364 to MRS (departs around lunchtime) on a B734 & returning on BA2495 from GIB on a B733.

Since I've found some very good value award tickets.
Why do you think the award tickets are such good value?

Even CE tickets on your route can be as low as £141 +tax return (I class out and back) compared with 24000 miles (+tax) for award tickets. Or 12000 miles in ET.

Either way, spending 12000 miles for ET (or 16500-19500 for a ET/CE combo, depending which leg you do in CE), as opposed to spending £141 in cash (and earning all the miles + TPs) represents bad bad value.
Old May 21, 2008, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Virgin Flying Club Red, Swiss M&M Blue
Ce

I agree, CE isnt everything its cracked up to be.

£59 per leg would seem a fair price. I'd much rather save my miles for a long haul upgrade.

If you do book the upgrade, I'd try and OLCI as soon as possible and see if you can grab seats in row 1. At least that way you get some legroom.
Old May 21, 2008, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Why do you think the award tickets are such good value?
Sorry - to clarify.

Booked award tickets on Air Nostrum flights worth £2,500 for 37,500 miles + £31 taxes. Very happy with that find...

BA sectors are paid for. Interesting results, thanks for the feedback.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.