Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Houston to get Jumbos!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2008, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
going to IAH 18 Dec

Just glanced at MMB on BA.com. At least as of this posting, still listed as a 777. While I like the 777 (esp the awesome take off), I'd still prefer the 747 upper deck!

Dave
Old Apr 23, 2008, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Davescj
Just glanced at MMB on BA.com. At least as of this posting, still listed as a 777. While I like the 777 (esp the awesome take off), I'd still prefer the 747 upper deck!

Dave
Are you sure? Expertflyer and BA.com are both showing 747s!
Old Apr 23, 2008, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by Panic Stations
Don't think NRT will go to a 777, I'd heard there was some sort of agreement with the Japanese about minimum capacity on the route to retain the slots. The 'extra' 747s are coming from the switch of the BAH/DOH route to the 777 for the summer and the introduction of an increased utilisation program for the 747 which see's the minimum turnaround time for a 747 reduced to three hours at LHR. In practice that means we'll all be seeing more delays and dirtier aircraft as everybody but management can see a three hour turnaround won't work.

I remember when the BA007 NRT was on the 777 for a while, but can't see it downsizing now. NRT is very good cargo revenue for BA. The flights might not always be full, but the cargo profit on the route is very lucrative. I found this out recently when the flight was less than 50% full, but the crew informed me that the flights can often be passenger weight restrictive due to heavy cargo.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by traveller5
I found this out recently when the flight was less than 50% full, but the crew informed me that the flights can often be passenger weight restrictive due to heavy cargo.
Who told you that? I've never seen or heard of a Narita flight that was weight restricted even with extremes of winter headwinds. Standard practice when a flight is weight restricted is to offload cargo before passengers.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Club, Priority Club Club
Originally Posted by Panic Stations
The 'extra' 747s are coming from the switch of the BAH/DOH route to the 777 for the summer and the introduction of an increased utilisation program for the 747 which see's the minimum turnaround time for a 747 reduced to three hours at LHR. In practice that means we'll all be seeing more delays and dirtier aircraft as everybody but management can see a three hour turnaround won't work.
With all due respect, there have been several threads on this site about the cleanlines of aircraft and from personal experience the cleanliness of our last 747 left a LOT to be desired - not so much filthy - but obviously shop soiled - unless we will SOON have to fold our own blankets and clean up after ourselves per FlyBE or Queasyjet - but paying 40 times the price.

NGBTS.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: BA (LTG, GGL, CCR), LH (*G)
The 747s for the Houston route appear to come from the LHR-JFK run, where some late afternoon departures are being downsized to 777s.

Old Apr 23, 2008, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
to IAH

Originally Posted by BA Loyal
Are you sure? Expertflyer and BA.com are both showing 747s!
BA moved my seat to 13A (from 16 I think), but that is all. I looked on BA.com, and BA Loyal is correct. If I go in without using MMB, it shows a 747. If I go to MMB and look at my seat, the booking still reflects 777. Any ideas on when the seat map for the 747 will come in? I would have thought it would be when the 747 was assigned to the route. Am I missing something?

Dave
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by NYLON Boy
The 747s for the Houston route appear to come from the LHR-JFK run, where some late afternoon departures are being downsized to 777s.

That fits with earlier speculation that BA is worried about its overexposure to the banking shuttle run. Makes sense.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:33 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by aristoph
That fits with earlier speculation that BA is worried about its overexposure to the banking shuttle run. Makes sense.

I assume Houston is a key market because of it's importance in the energy industry, but there have been a number of other developments that BA may feel they need to compete against, notably direct 777-200LR services to/from DXB & DOH and SQ's 777 direct service to Moscow (can't remember which airport) with onward service to SIN. Add to that LH swapping it's 346 for a 747 and there's quite a lot of change down here in Texas.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by aristoph
It looks like everything after 6pm from the UK is 777 to JFK Even worse with the Gatwick route there will be more flying dorms going back and forth to NYC from LON than 747's. Oh well, needs must.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by NYLON Boy

Well, in fairness, it is the 113/116 which is switching to 777 and the 179/182 on some days of the week. 173/172 is currently a 777. So still fairly dominated by the big bird.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Just to update: B747s are coming from BA113 on the JFK route, BA93 on the YYZ, one of the DXB frequencies (BA107?) or BA213 to BOS.

All swaps will be for 4 class B777-200.

Interesting. BOS, DXB & YYZ won't have any Jumbos for the winter schedules. JFK will get double daily LHR B777s which will operate both daylight flights from New York.

As meantioned before, Calgary is getting the MAN-JFK B767, displacing the B777 for the up & coming Gatwick-JFK.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by flyboy777
Just to update: B747s are coming from BA113 on the JFK route, BA93 on the YYZ, one of the DXB frequencies (BA107?) or BA213 to BOS.

All swaps will be for 4 class B777-200.

Interesting. BOS, DXB & YYZ won't have any Jumbos for the winter schedules. JFK will get double daily LHR B777s which will operate both daylight flights from New York.

As meantioned before, Calgary is getting the MAN-JFK B767, displacing the B777 for the up & coming Gatwick-JFK.
To correct you (or fill you in with some of BA's history ).
  • YYZ and BOS have found themselves frequently without a 747 in their schedules over the years.
  • The later of the two morning JFK departures is only a 777 on Wednesdays. For the rest of the week it is a 747.

Last edited by The Saint; Apr 23, 2008 at 4:03 pm
Old Apr 23, 2008, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by The Saint
I find your posts perplexing. You have a style which gives an impression of knowing exactly what you are talking about. Impressions can be misleading.
Why are you perplexed after 3 years on FT? Even if the OP is guilty as charged, he is hardly unique in that respect on this board!
Old Apr 23, 2008, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Originally Posted by bernardd
I assume Houston is a key market because of it's importance in the energy industry, but there have been a number of other developments that BA may feel they need to compete against, notably direct 777-200LR services to/from DXB & DOH and SQ's 777 direct service to Moscow (can't remember which airport) with onward service to SIN. Add to that LH swapping it's 346 for a 747 and there's quite a lot of change down here in Texas.
Well don't get too comfy.

Despite oil hitting $120/bb there are rumblings going down. We've been asked to cut down our expenditure (such as travel ) and there was this little tidbit on BBC today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7362348.stm

Oil giant Shell is to shed 180 more jobs in Aberdeen, it has said.

The company said the office-based posts were going in the next three years to help "secure its long-term competitive future in the UK".
Which is quite interesting given normally we in the O&G industry have our downturn afer the econcomy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.