Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Man killed by electric buggy at Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2008, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Man killed by electric buggy at Heathrow

Quite frankly this was just a matter of time. I know I am not alone in my views that the electric carts used inside the terminal buildings are driven far too fast and often quite erratically. I'm sure this is not the first incident where someone has been hurt by one, but this is the first time I can ever recall someone being killed by one.

Something needs to be done about it and as with most things like this it takes a death for someone to step in and sort it out. Hopefully that will now happen.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/7313713.stm
Old Mar 25, 2008, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Might have been one of those vehicles that pull the luggage crates on the apron rather than an inside one?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Might have been one of those vehicles that pull the luggage crates on the apron rather than an inside one?
That would appear to be the case. The article does say "next to terminal one".
Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Hmm indeed so. I'm sure the original article said "electric buggy in terminal one" but it is very late and my mind may be playing tricks on me.

In any case, my original rant still stands even if not entirely related to this tragic accident.

Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by spanishflea
Hmm indeed so. I'm sure the original article said "electric buggy in terminal one" but it is very late and my mind may be playing tricks on me.

In any case, my original rant still stands even if not entirely related to this tragic accident.

Accepted although I have had more near misses with those two wheel electric scooter things you see in ARN and elsewhere.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:22 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber

And how many Hundreds of people each year are killed driving to and from Airports..The most dangerous aspect of Air Travel is the Drive to and from the Airport.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:46 pm

Entirely related in my mind. (airport culture)

http://www.aviation.ca/content/view/4224/118/
Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:43 am

Programs: BAEC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Gold Passport, Tesco clubcard!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
As usual, the news people dont get it exactly correct....

It was not a wheelchair type golf buggy and this incident did not happen in the terminal building where the passengers are.

This incident happened on the ramp / apron area so it was not inside the building and the "electric buggy" would have been the mini tug (which is battery operated.... making it electric) that pulls the baggage trolleys around the airport.

The ramp is a dangerous are to work and that is why health and safety is so important, but sadly accidents still happen.

I know that it happened airside and not willing to say any more.

As for the buggies inside the terminal, if people moved out of the way when they hear them coming then everything would be ok.... but they dont.

The buggy drivers ahve to do a special driving test and have to be licenced by BAA to drive them and have speed limits to adhere to, there is an annoying beep noise that warns people a long time before the vehicle approaches and obviously, the driver can see the people before they see the buggy.

I do not recall any accidents of someone beiing run over in the terminal by one these wheelchair buggies....

Last edited by lhrworker; Mar 26, 2008 at 1:51 am
Old Mar 26, 2008, 2:02 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Originally Posted by lhrworker
As for the buggies inside the terminal, if people moved out of the way when they hear them coming then everything would be ok.... but they dont.

You could say the same of cars driving on the pavement...
Old Mar 26, 2008, 3:22 am

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
This must be the reason we saw the Virgin Medical Helicopter departing LHR yesterday mid-afternoon whilst waiting for our gate at T1...

Having been coached to our aircraft last week at T1, I was surprised how dark it was under the terminal, where all the baggage handlers work, as if the lights had been taken away! No wonder accidents happen - sad for family and friends of this poor man.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
The buggies inside LHR are driven in a very safe way given what I have seen in other airports around the world:
- pedal to floor in a terminal full of pax during rush hour
- texting on a mobile phone while driving
- talking on walkie talkies finding out where to go

I was holding on to my seat for dear life. I did have a tight connection to make due to the late arrival of my earlier flight.

Having been on one where all three of the above were happening at Changi airport (this was about 10 years ago), it is not an experience I would like to repeat.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 6:59 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
I take the buggy service in HKG quite often, and it often amazes me how oblivious a lot of people are to their surroundings... There have been countless times where the buggy might be stuck behind some guy who either does not notice the buggy behind him beeping the horn, or just chooses to ignore completely it.... Regardless of how safe the buggies are driven, if there are idiots like that around, people are bound to get hurt sooner or later..
Old Mar 26, 2008, 7:25 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by lhrworker
As usual, the news people dont get it exactly correct....

It was not a wheelchair type golf buggy and this incident did not happen in the terminal building where the passengers are.

This incident happened on the ramp / apron area so it was not inside the building and the "electric buggy" would have been the mini tug (which is battery operated.... making it electric) that pulls the baggage trolleys around the airport.

The ramp is a dangerous are to work and that is why health and safety is so important, but sadly accidents still happen.

I know that it happened airside and not willing to say any more.

The buggy drivers ahve to do a special driving test and have to be licenced by BAA to drive them and have speed limits to adhere to, there is an annoying beep noise that warns people a long time before the vehicle approaches and obviously, the driver can see the people before they see the buggy.

I do not recall any accidents of someone beiing run over in the terminal by one these wheelchair buggies....

Quite. HIDDY is quite clever. I appreciate him for his mind and you are both quite right. I was going to say that these things are like most policemen ()- they are never there when you need one and then make so much noise when they do that everyone runs.

And before I have scads of fire bombs about how wonderful the police are, I should add that I have been sleeping with one for years.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 7:31 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
And before I have scads of fire bombs about how wonderful the police are, I should add that I have been sleeping with one for years.
You sleep with a sleeping policeman? Isn't it cold and dangerous in the road at night?

I'll get me coat...
Old Mar 26, 2008, 7:57 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Greg66
You sleep with a sleeping policeman? Isn't it cold and dangerous in the road at night?

I'll get me coat...
Darling - I have never slept in the street.

You want a policeman? I'll lend you mine. Might be a disapoointment however. I always dreamed that I would marry a Prince but here I am at Flyertalk. Ho Hum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.