Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Question about T5: Are travellers to Europe fingerprinted and treated like a criminal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about T5: Are travellers to Europe fingerprinted and treated like a criminal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2008, 1:07 pm
gum
Original Poster

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Great article, thank you for that !

Originally Posted by 925
Somewhere, you have got to draw the line. I am an American that would NEVER visit or transit the US if I was required to submit to fingerprinting or picture taking when either has any chance of being retained indefinetly.

By the same token, I will not travel to a country that requires me to be fingerprinted.

Countries need to understand that security measures need to be in balance with both privacy and the needs of their guests. If a country wants people to visit (like most countries that spend a pile of money to get people to visit), they need to treat the visitor like a guest, and not someone suspect of something.

In my opinion, my country is the foremost abuser of this, and an early adopter. I deeply regret this, and apologize to FT friends around the world for our terrible behavior.
Really great article, thanks for that ! ^

Needless to say that this is exactly my opinion, although living in Germany and wondering about the people accepting many of these "security related" measures.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 1:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Many pax willingly let images of their eye be taken so that they can use IRIS to clear UK immigration quickly. Finger prints are no different.
Iris scan is very different from fingerprints, because you don't leaving copies of your iris scan inadvertently everywhere you go.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Fingerprinting and security

If I could be persuaded that there was some useful purpose to this, I might even be persuaded that fingerprinting was acceptable. My biggest concern is security. What's going to happen to the fingerprints? When the government says they will be destroyed within 48 hours or whatever they have promised, does anyone really believe them. Governments have all lied about such issues in the past and will most certainly continue to do so.
As a related matter, all domestic flights within Switzerland (and I admit there aren't that many - the only routes that come to mind are GVA-ZRH, GVA-LUG, and ZRH-LUG) are treated as international flights. That means you have to show either a passport or national ID card to enter the departure lounge, which is considered an international lounge and you go through immigration on arrival. However, no fingerprinting. Seems a lot simpler to me.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Can some anti-fingerprinters please tell me as to what uses do you think your fingerprints are going to be put to? I can't see any negative uses unless they chop off your fingers and sew them back on to someone else?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.