Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pilots of the BA38 now face criticism from colleagues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2008, 3:46 am
Original Poster

As per the article below, questions are now being asked by pilot colleagues re the handling of the emergency on 17/01. Pilot colleagues are saying that it was luck that saved the passengers and crew and NOT the skill of the flight crews.

Pilots are asking:

1. What was the captain doing? Also, what was the 'ghost' third flight crew member doing?
2. Why did the cabin crew have to initiate the evacuation?
3. Why were the passengers not told to 'Brace, Brace', as per the airline emergency procedures?
4. Why was there absolutely no communication from the flight deck to crew or passengers?

Yes, it is an article from the Hate Mail, but its comments have been slowly appearing all week from a range of news sources.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=510486&in_page_id=1770

Last edited by traveller5; Jan 26, 2008 at 3:52 am
Old Jan 26, 2008, 4:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I think it's safe to say that most, if not all, of that article is complete and utter bollocks.

Speechless.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 4:18 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
The link does not work for me.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Sadly it was just a matter of time As was I think noted on the other thread, the good news of heroes and miracle escapes sold papers for 2-3 days. Then the 'cheeky' exposure of "Man Larked About With Birds And Had Fun When Young Shocker" sold for a few more. Now you can just see them scratching their baboon-like heads working out what to do next...I know, we built 'em up, let's knock 'em down..."TERROR BA FLIGHT CARRYING ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS SURVIVES BY LUCK AFTER CREW DISTRACTED BY CONFESSING TO HAVE KILLED DIANA TO DESTABALISE HOUSE PRICES - MADDIE NOWHERE ONBOARD"

Unbelievable. Each of those questions was posed and answered on here by people in the know (i.e. BA pilots we're lucky enough to have post here) in that main thread in the aftermath...and each has a perfectly logical explanation. Who wants to read that though?

I don't know what I actually despise more...rags like the Mail or the members of thhe British Public who buy in to it!
Old Jan 26, 2008, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Old Jan 26, 2008, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Diamond
I think it's disgusting that these 'whispers' have started. But, at the end of the day this is what the media thrive upon, and the public buy into this.

I do think it was a combination of training, skill and a small part of luck, i wonder how most people would have reacted if faced with this situation? I would imagine that the pilots, crew and passengers were all in the mindset of a 'normal' landing.

We should all be grateful that the outcome was as positive as it was, could have been much worse, i don't think people will ever realise how much of a close thing it was. So we should salute the pilots and not bash them, and wait until the report is published before drawing any conclusions.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

The link didn't work as it had a double 'http' inserted by mistake, have corrected this.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 4:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold.
I personally think this is one of the risks of declaring the crew as heroes before the full details of the accident and investigation are made known.

In a global sense the crew (flight and cabin) got the a/c onto the ground without fatalities an achievement in its own right. As the saying goes any landing you walk away from is a good one.

However in all our walks of life we could do things better and I am sure this is best left to the AAIB to asses the performance of the flight and cabin crew in their investigation. This type of information is only going to be accurate to the core investigation team (CVR, crew debrief etc) and so is not something that can be accurately discussed in public by the press, but we all know that will not stop them doing it anyway.

Many recent investigations have highlighted communication between flight and cabin crew has been adversely affected by the locked cockpit doors requiring extensive SOP's to work around.

I hope the crew and their colleagues will not take and AAIB recommendations or findings as criticism of their performance more that maybe in a slightly different set of circumstances different actions will assure safety of all occupants.

When put on a pedastal you are a target for criticism, rightly or wrongly. I cannot imagine the press briefing was the crews idea and the BA PR machine may have subsequently put the crew in a difficult position.

I for one recognise the achievements of all on board and would encourage less speculation and more support and recognition of the facts when known.^

regards

Aero_Safety
Old Jan 26, 2008, 4:56 am

They must not realize that the vast amount of unknowns in this case effectively limits any sensible speculation to pondering the degree of heroism displayed by the BA pilots.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 4:58 am

i've watched a lot of aircrash investigations on the discovery channel, and if anything dodgy was going to happen to my plane, I'd feel the safest with a BA crew at the helm.

unfortunately BA don't fly my routes...
Old Jan 26, 2008, 5:23 am

Who reads the Daily Mail anyway? What a waste of pennies.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 6:16 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
TERROR BA FLIGHT CARRYING ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS SURVIVES BY LUCK AFTER CREW DISTRACTED BY CONFESSING TO HAVE KILLED DIANA TO DESTABALISE HOUSE PRICES - MADDIE NOWHERE ONBOARD"
hahahahahahahah
Old Jan 26, 2008, 6:35 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
Who reads the Daily Mail anyway? What a waste of pennies.
BA cabin crew hand it out to CE pax and it`s in the lounges, so you can read it for the laughs without wasting any pennies.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
It's just typical of the British press that this type of story emererges. Personally, I don't know if they followed proceedure, I'm sure that in time, once the AAIB report it published, information as to the handling of the situation along with any recommendations will be issued. Blame-culture-centric media is not constructive in the most important issue here; preventing this happening again.

Why were there three flight crew? I don't know but we shouldn't speculate and it's not abnormal to have three flightcrew, on longer flights they have 'heavies' who take over to give the crew a rest period.

The media should wait and see.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PEK is a 3 crew route.

As for the rest, the Hate Mail is a filthy rag. I'll be waiting for the next AAIB before drawing any conclusions.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 8:19 am

The link doesn't work for me, but I'd bet good money that the source for the Hate Mails story is the PPRuNe forum, where about 1 in 100 posters are actually commercial pilots and the rest are flight sim enthusiasts, plane spotters and private pilots. I can't say I've heard any serious pilot ask such questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.