Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[17 Jan 2008] BA38 lands short of the runway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[17 Jan 2008] BA38 lands short of the runway

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2008, 3:04 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Pyeinthesky
There's a rather dapper chap here with some comments on the affair.
I'm sure Pucci will definitely take a look at that!
Old Jan 18, 2008, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DG_SFO
Had dinner tonight with an Aussie friend who was a FA on the QF flight that ran off the runway in Asia a few years back. He said it appeared that the BA038 aircraft was much more extensively damaged than the aircraft involved in the QF incident. He speculated that they won't patch up today's aircraft.
I seem to recall QF paid some 100 million to patch up the bird in order to keep their no hull loss record. That said, I had a family member on board the flight in question and I don't recall hearing that there was anywhere near as much damage as what we witnessed via the news cameras yesterday.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 3:14 am
uk1
Suspended

I know it's been said in many different ways - and I agree it's time to lighten - but doesn't the wonderful job that the whole crew did here epitomise exactly why pax remain commited to BA emotionally as well as simply from the ordinary superficial levels.

BA pax sort of know deep in their psychi that BA crew are different. You know, for no logical reasons - but just know - that the training is second to none and that whilst they may shave the odd penny off of a meal you sort of feel confident that nothing compromises the quality of people, training and maintenance. Anyone who is lucky enough to spend an hour or two and see just the tip of the iceberg that places like Cranebank represents in terms of real commitment understands the difference. Doesn't mean things don't sometimes go wrong - but that is life. Even after all these years the feeling many get every time they board a BA flight having been away for a while still feels like being home.

After what might have happened has sunk in all kudos and congrats must go to the team - an extraordinary effort.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 3:15 am
TMC

Programs: United 1K, BA Silver, Marriott LTP
From an automotive forum:
Got home last night to a phone message from BA informing my wife to call them. Dialled the number only to be told that my Sister in Law was flight crew on the plane involved.

My wife spoke briefly to her last night, as all the crew were taken to a hotel for de-brief and interviews, and were only released late last night, but she said that the engines were running, there was plenty of fuel, and all she can remember is that the pilot sounded the cabin bong for 500 feet altitude, and all of a sudden, the plane just dropped, nose high, only just landing where it did.

Sister in Law took a wallop to her head which she has been treated for, and from what I can gather she was near the over wing exit on the left, so where the fuselage was punctured, as she described some minor trauma injuries which she witnessed as debris came through.

As far as I'm concerned, all the crew on that flight are heros, no matter what caused it.
The pilot told my in law that if the ground hadn't been so wet, we wouldn't have been looking at such a lucky escape.

Going to try and see her tomorrow and find out some more, but just glad for all concerned that no one was seriously injured, and I still have a full family.

Also, can I just say from what I hear, BA were fantastic, to both passengers and crew.
Second post on this page http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...t=485605&i=380
Old Jan 18, 2008, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
There's a rather dapper chap here with some comments on the affair.
It was rather disconcerting to turn on BBC1 at 7.15 this morning whilst reaching for the cornflakes to see the same dapper individual smiling at me!
Old Jan 18, 2008, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by blackjack-21
Technical question for those who know: Would the loss of avionics and engine power affect the CVR and FDR (the "black boxes") so that their loss of power would mean little if any information as to what happened in the final 30 minutes of the flight? Or are they powered from a different source?
If the CVR and FDR lost power they would only lose information from that point on. As it seems the engines didn't fail but just became unresponsive it's probable that the CVR/FDR information will be intact.

Also, the high angle of attack at the last few moments, as some here have said, would have slowed the plane to stall speed, but wouldn't that almost be the point (500 feet above touch down) when the crew would just about start their flare for the landing?
No, you start the flare around 30 feet, not 500 feet.

If the aircraft were traveling at 160 knots with flaps down, and the power loss happened at that point, would there have been time (and height) for them to react fast enough to push the nose down to avoid a stall, and then correct for lining up with the centerline?
It appears that's exactly what they did, although they would have been lined up with the centreline well above 500 feet
Old Jan 18, 2008, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
It was rather disconcerting to turn on BBC1 at 7.15 this morning whilst reaching for the cornflakes to see the same dapper individual smiling at me!
LOL! David Learmount watch your back!
Old Jan 18, 2008, 3:46 am

Programs: I've got three passports, A couple of visas, Don't even know my real name.
Originally Posted by hsmall
What, however, I am capable of making a judgement on (or at least a preliminary one) is the legal justification for holding the passengers against their will at the airport afterwards (which was alleged: I do not say it did happen but I have heard it alleged that it happened): does any lawyer reading know of any lawfuyl authority to do so?
Probably just a normal queue for immigration at LHR...
Old Jan 18, 2008, 3:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by coz
I realize they might not want to show the actual accident on the news,
Why? It's not like anybody died. They have have shown much worse on the news. If there was a video showing the whole sequence you can guarantee it will be shown almost in a repeated loop, constantly, on Sky News.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 3:57 am

Programs: I've got three passports, A couple of visas, Don't even know my real name.
Originally Posted by bealine
Beyond the official statements Willie Walsh and my employer's Press Office have authorised, you will not glean much else from BA staff!
Except for unnamed tow truck drivers quoted on the BBC and picked up by the other channels.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 3:58 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
He is being interviewed right now as I write this - don't know by whom though

Last edited by BlackBerryAddict; Jan 18, 2008 at 4:00 am Reason: spelling mistake
Old Jan 18, 2008, 3:59 am

Programs: BA
About time too.

PS What happened to the M&S tie this morning ?

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Joking aside, as they would be without passports etc(if they made a fast exit with no coats and bags) they would be required to clear immigration etc.

Also walking airside beside the runway is in a prohibited place and a criminal offence, so the police would be entitled to question them as to why they were there

the police would normally request people who may be able to give witness evidence to remain until statements, ID's etc. I anticipate there was a bit of a delay getting that in place in the circumstances.

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by Raffles
From the TV, I assume
Old Jan 18, 2008, 4:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Panic Stations
If the CVR and FDR lost power they would only lose information from that point on. As it seems the engines didn't fail but just became unresponsive it's probable that the CVR/FDR information will be intact.
True - If the CVR and FDR lost power then they would not function after that point and there would be no data stored.

False - You seem to be implying that the CVR and FDR's sole source of power are the engines which isn't true. There are emergency battery packs which provide power to vital systems for a certain period of time. An a/c could have a complete power loss, but the CVR and FDR would continue to function.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.