Wiki Posts
Search

OT: England football team

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2007, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Gaz
I disagree, the Premier League *is* the biggest league and the national side suffers as a result. Talking to football fans across the world when travelling (particularly in Asia) has shown me just how big an export the EPL (as they call it) is - Spain and Italy's leagues don't seem to be followed or televised anywhere near as much.

So you've got a league where the players and managers get the biggest salaries

Marketing appeal doesn't translate into quality. Besides, the gap between the big teams and the small teams is phenomenal. Arsenal and ManU may be good teams, but there is no depth in the league. Selling a lot of t-shirts in Indonesia does not a good football team make.
Just watch the full 90 minutes of one random match between non-title contenders in the Premiership and another in the Primera División (e.g. Villa - Boro and Mallorca - Betis), as a neutral observer who wants to watch football for the football (and not because you support team one or the other).
The English game will likely have more goals/clear-cut chances but at the same time you will in all probability understand why the Primera is so much better.
Things would be getting worse if you go down a division. You can easily pay £40 to watch the likes of Sheffield Wednesday being unable to exchange more than 2 passes. In Spain it would be about €8, and the quality of the spectacle would still be half decent.

As fairly neutral towards the English national team, I am glad that they didn't qualify because it has saved all the pointless noise and flags on cars and so on that I'd have to endure come February, plus any hopes of any sort of coverage of the tournament besides England. The good thing is that people are waking up and asking for changes at the FA as opposed to just thinking that a change of manager will sort everything out. I don't think the FA will be on the line this time round, but they could be feeling quite uncomfortably when (not if) the next failure comes around.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 3:09 am
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by graraps
Marketing appeal doesn't translate into quality. Besides, the gap between the big teams and the small teams is phenomenal. Arsenal and ManU may be good teams, but there is no depth in the league. Selling a lot of t-shirts in Indonesia does not a good football team make.
Just watch the full 90 minutes of one random match between non-title contenders in the Premiership and another in the Primera División (e.g. Villa - Boro and Mallorca - Betis), as a neutral observer who wants to watch football for the football (and not because you support team one or the other).
The English game will likely have more goals/clear-cut chances but at the same time you will in all probability understand why the Primera is so much better.
Things would be getting worse if you go down a division. You can easily pay £40 to watch the likes of Sheffield Wednesday being unable to exchange more than 2 passes. In Spain it would be about €8, and the quality of the spectacle would still be half decent.
I agree (mostly). The top English teams are some of the best in the world - that can't be argued - but the quality is very concentrated at the top flight of the top division (where the teams are mostly comprised with non-English players) and as you move down the league, the quality falls off very sharply, especially once you hit the Championship and below, so it's not surprising England struggle to get strength in depth in the national team.

I actually think the problems are even more deep though, going right down to grass roots level: in kids leagues for instance, managers and parents are too-often ultra-competitive, encouraging physical play and victory at all costs, at ages where developing skills should really be the priority.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 1:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Originally Posted by flyclub
Indeed.

However I am surprised nobody has wondered why the thread hasn't been moved and what this has exactly to do with British Airways.

It's not as if the game was away and a BA A320 was rolled out to fly them somewhere...
Trust a Welshman.....If its not about rugby...........
Old Nov 23, 2007, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Bunch of overpaid chavs. No concept of playing as a team for your country and your people.
Correct ^
Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Avenarius
Ok, I admit it, I am just a bitter Scot. I made the mistake of going to a rugby-obsessed English university, and spent several years in vain watching Scotland get trounced in Calcutta Cup matches in the company of 300 baying English students. Not once did Scotland win. Once I had moved back to Scotland, they won, but it was too late by then.

England are, and should be, considerably more successful than Scotland at most sports - they have 10 times the population. Would Scotland have qualified from England's group, if the roles were reversed? Probably not. Would England have finished ahead of Italy and France? Probably not. If England had made it through, I would have happily supported them, but I cannot hide the fact that I am very glad not to have to endure another 9 months of buildup to what would eventually be the same thing: McLaren getting the sack amid much wailing and gnashing of teeth.
All we had to do was beat the world champions (we had already beaten the runners-up twice - home and away). Unfortunately the world champions beat us by a single goal. I think the last time we beat the then holders of the World Cup was 1967. I wonder who that could have been ...
Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
Ah yes, now how did the song go?

We're on the march we're Ally's army
we're going to the Argen-teen
and we'll really shake 'em up
when we win the world cup
'cos Scotland are the greatest football team

Well, that Scots did at least win one thing in 1978. For the most imaginative, misguided, over optimistic, deluded set of song lyrics ever
That's the song, but I think you're forgetting the second verse -

We're representing Britain
We're gonnae do or die
But England cannae do it
'Cos they didnae qualify!
Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:53 pm

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush.
Originally Posted by Murdoch
That's the song, but I think you're forgetting the second verse -

We're representing Britain
We're gonnae do or die
But England cannae do it
'Cos they didnae qualify!

EXCELLENT! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.